Do you get attached to squad-mates in games?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

If they got personality and stuff, yes
This applies to JA series for instance
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

Well yeah personality helps, too bad OFP didnt have much in that department.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

It depends on the game i suppose; in Half-Life, where the friendlies cant follow you thru the game, i always kill the friendlies for their ammo (or just for fun) when they are unable to follow me anymore.
But, in games where the friendlies plays important parts/are interesting/ or are just valuable because of their good AI & firepower, i always reload if a teamie dies
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

I reload if my buddies die, or at leawst the buddies I like. Myron? I sent him into battle with that Needler pistol and watever else he started with and let him go. But if he got annoying I shot him. But Sulik, Dogmeat, Marcus, Cassidy, all the good one's I'd reload for...usually.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

I was playing Ghost Recon with a few of my friends and we started a list of the soldier who were KIA and how they died. It's hanging on my friend's wall, still.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

I tend to send black people from my squad in to more dangerous situations first. If they die they die knowing they took one for the team.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

Operation Hide Behind the Darkies.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

Well if like my squad comes under heavy fire any somebody dies, I will look at who died. If it's a black guy then no big deal.
Killa-Killa
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Killa-Killa »

In HL I tended to use scientists for cannon fodder, but the barneys I always kept alive... In OpFor I always kept all my squaddies alive as long as possible.

In FO2 I always kept Dogmeat, sulik, and cassidy alive at all costs. In FO1 I kept dogmeat only alive at all costs, everyone else was to protect him. In FO:T I replaced the worst guy with the dog, editted the name to dogmeat, and made him godly. He would only defend himself, and I always kept him at the back of the squad(For gameplay reasons).I made him do 999-999 explosion damage.(Hilariousness ensued)

But that's just me. I love dogmeat. Can't live with out him.
KillaKilla's logic:
FOT and FO: BOS weren't FO at all!........... 1. I am nobody
DOGMEAT is God. Never dispute this!........ 2. Nobody is perfect
Up and coming hardware nerd.................. 3. Hence I am perfect
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

I'm suprised you didn't give him a Deagle.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

In most games I try to save all my squaddies. Battle Isle - Incubation comes to mind, as I'd have my men fly over with their jetpacks and a bayonet if I knew it'd have a slim chance of saving another guy.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

I always got really mad when Tycho kept getting killed over and over and over... In the Military Base. And then I got Skynet, and he got killed twice. And then I got Robodog, more killing. But, I eventually got my famousse hand-pistol and killed all the mutants with a quick shot to the eyes and all was right in the world.
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

In singleplayer games I always try and keep my squadmates alive. I remember I was the only one of my friends that didn't crowbar Barney to death at the beginning of Half-Life because he had a pistol. My friends would crowbar scientists just for the pure sadist-factor and they'd find out that they needed that scientist to open a door for them and that they'd saved after doing the killing. Hah.

Games like Medal of Honor pissed me off because you couldn't control whether your squadmates would die or not. I don't like that kind of linearity.

It's totally different for multiplayer games.

I actually want my teammates to die in Counter-Strike so the damn round will end and I can start playing again.

In CS and other online games it's not an issue if my teammates die because they're usually cock-baskets and complain about "kill stealing" (as if the entire point of playing is to get a good rank instead of having fun, which is essentially what it has become now).
This sentence has thirty-two letters.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Neon Dingo wrote:It's totally different for multiplayer games.

I actually want my teammates to die in Counter-Strike so the damn round will end and I can start playing again.

In CS and other online games it's not an issue if my teammates die because they're usually cock-baskets and complain about "kill stealing" (as if the entire point of playing is to get a good rank instead of having fun, which is essentially what it has become now).
A tip: Start playing Raven Shield. Few, if any, CS kiddies play it. It's mostly adults who enjoy a good strategic and team-oriented game. This from a person who's only been playing the game MP for three days (including today), and from only playing co-op.

I don't care much for MP games when you're playing against people anymore mainly because one really can't know for sure if person X is really good or cheating. But that's just me *shrug*
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

Well in singple player games you tend to get in to it and almost feel a kinship with the AI players, online you know they're swell guy and want them all to die.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Like I said, few, if any, CS kiddies play Raven Shield.

Although in singleplayer, teammates die so goddamn easy, it's hard to form any kinship with 'em.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Yes, definitely. If the game is good, you do tend to get attached to the chars... I can't tell you how many saved game I took in JA to try and save Leech...
Hello New Jersey
Bloodgeon11
Vault Scion
Vault Scion
Location: this great country of bombing the crap out of others

Post by Bloodgeon11 »

Obsessivly so...hey, if they're there to help me, then i can do my best to help them!
"Science fiction wiggers" is my new favorite phrase.

"You'd better be prepared for the jump into hyperspace. It's unpleasantly like being drunk."
-"What's so unpleasant about being drunk?"
"Ask a glass of water."
-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

I think you should rephrase that sentence.
Hello New Jersey
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Hammer wrote:Well in singple player games you tend to get in to it and almost feel a kinship with the AI players, online you know they're swell guy and want them all to die.
lewl Hammer, I agree again. They are more worthless then the ai scripts running in the background. I see you got a certain value for life and honor that's pretty rare...
Our Host!