What Can Be done?

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Zila
SDF!
SDF!

What Can Be done?

Post by Zila »

So if theres a Mapper coming out (have played with the beta version)
And according to the russians you can add your own towns and maps...
And you can add in your own items (Seen in several Mods ranging from Frank Horrigans Armour to 'the black hole')
It strikes me that if there was a dialogue editor to come out too then an adaption of Fallout 2 into something else (Fallout 2.1 :P ? ) seems possible although probably very difficult. Does anyone know what other editing tools are in production? Is it ever going to be likely that we'll have enough tools to actually change Fallout 2 into something else? Or is there too much hardcoded into it to ever do more than amusing cosmetic touches?
Please some one who knows more than me (so NO-ONE has an excuse for not posting :P) post a bit, coz i'm all a curious as to the possiblities.

Cheers.
The Problem with Leadership is inevitably : Who plays God?
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I don't know if I know more than you but I know there has been talk for many years of modding FO. I tend to think that the time and energy used to reverse engineer the tools to modify the game are better spent in making something from scratch. There is a small but knowledgeable team making Static and I think they are getting farther than the Russians ever did with trying to mod Fallout.

Also you must realize that there are quite a few RPG engines out there with all the proper tools to build with. They may be a little dated compared to Fallout, yet nobody is using them to try and build the next Fallout.

With the proper tools like are available for Tactics, there would be more interest. If the same tools were available, I and all the other Tactics modders would be making some really cool stuff.
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

General Editing- except for the mapper, I think we have all the tools we need to start editing Fallout "fairly easily". (Of course, major changes are still major projects with the time and effort requirements expected of them.)

Dialogue Editing
Dialogue Editing is easy- I could post a small tutorial/explanation if people wanted, but to make it easier I'm working on an editor of sorts. I've still got one big change I need to make before it is really usable, so the current version is provided without documentation or guarantee- just as evidence that it is in the works.

Download- FODE (21k)

ScreenShot
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

There is also this petition our Admins put up recently:
Source code release petition
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

My first post, gee am I proud...

Post by Ganymedes »

Dialogue Editing
Dialogue Editing is easy- I could post a small tutorial/explanation if people wanted, but to make it easier I'm working on an editor of sorts. I've still got one big change I need to make before it is really usable, so the current version is provided without documentation or guarantee- just as evidence that it is in the works.
Loved your tool, just kind of wondering, how do you decompile the script-files into *.ipp-files? The only prog. I've ever seen that is supposed to do that, is the teamX decompiler. Now, of course that just produces some weird errors on my machine...
Fallout Forever!
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Loved your tool, just kind of wondering, how do you decompile the script-files into *.ipp-files? The only prog. I've ever seen that is supposed to do that, is the teamX decompiler. Now, of course that just produces some weird errors on my machine...
The only one I know of at present is the teamX decompiler.
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ganymedes »

Hm... do you get that to work? All i get is this message:
Cannot initialize DAO/Jet db machine
Of course, the readme is in russian, and my russian in rather erherm... weak. :(
Fallout Forever!
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

You might want to try downloading this and unzipping it into the same directory as the decompiler. (Based off of http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... US;q168004 , which might (might) be the problem.)
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ganymedes »

Let's see... nope, didn't seem to do it... Even rebooted. Now, this may just be on my computer, but all the text in the program seems screwed up... almost like how a japanese web site would appear, if the japanese character set wasn't installed...
It must be something I've done wrong... Now, does anyone posess any documentation on the prog? (English, that is...)
Fallout Forever!
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Nah, it isn't just your computer.. My guess would be that you don't have the russian character set installed and they are Russian characters. - It is the same way on my machine.
Sir_Funkalot
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Sir_Funkalot »

Dialogue Editing is easy- I could post a small tutorial/explanation if people wanted
Yes, that would be nice...
The Fallout California Tour | Currently being re-designed, re-structurated and re-wrote. To be finished...
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Ganymedes:
Try running this program- it fixed the problem for someone else..
Sanctuary
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Sanctuary »

Temaperacl wrote:Ganymedes:
Try running this program- it fixed the problem for someone else..

this app (patch) solved my problem :twisted:

install it before use the teamX decompiler
Sanctuary » maya modeler
http://www.sanctuary.ro (temp closed)
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ganymedes »

:D :D :D
It works..! Finally I can get these damn scripts to make some sense..!

Thank you, Temaperacl, thank you! You are truly a hero..!

May the water you find in the desert not shin at you in the dark..! :P
Fallout Forever!
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

This may be the wrong place for this, but...

Would it be possible to mod FO to have the interface improvements from FO2? For example, the "take all" button, the ability to barter with up to 99999 items, and the improved unarmed combat system.
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
Red

Post by Red »

One of my ideas was to port FO1 to the FO2 engine... However this would be a massive undertaking of which I don't even know the ramifications... I never really looked at how FO1 worked...
Gehenna
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Well...

Post by Gehenna »

I guess you COULD, but let us be honest here. There really aren't that many changes in the engine between FO1 and FO2, and both games are wonderful and playable already. ALAS! If only they hadn't chopped all the good parts out of FOT - That's a wonderful engine!

But your time would be better spent actually generating something new. No offense to your idea.
-Gehenna
Every time someone in Interplay's marketing department makes a decision, an angel gets hit by a bus.
Red

Post by Red »

That's why I never even bothered really thinking into it...
Our Host!