i'm being repressed!

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

i'm being repressed!

Post by Strap »

what's the deal with highschool/(school students) in colorado haveing to say the pledge of allegience every day??

it is oppression, i have the right not to pledge.
it's unconstitutional to enforce this!

(i have nothing against america, but i don't want to be forced/told what to beleive in/swear to)
(is it on national news yet?)
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Eh? Where'd you hear this?
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

'Tis true! Anyone who refuses to not say the pledge of allegiance gets yelled into the ninth level of hell.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

Oh Strapon! You are such a wild and angst filled teen! keep fighting the good fight you little Che Guevara you! MAY YOUR ACTIONS INSPIRE OTHERS!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Hammer on Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

i have to say the pledge of allegience in school, its a law... that's pretty wierd.

http://www.msnbc.com/local/csg/m316623.asp
http://www.msnbc.com/local/rmn/drmn_2178480.asp
"I am a patriotic person, but I believe that part of our freedom in the United States is to express our support for our country in different ways," said one of the plaintiffs, Denver student Keaty Gross, in a statement
that's how i feel about it.
Last edited by Strap on Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

You're being repressed not oppressed? So what are you, a repressed homosexual? I think you should be spending more time in school learning the English language instead of blabbing about the Pledge of Allegiance on some internet forum.
Last edited by Hammer on Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Hammer wrote:You're being repressed not opressed? So what are you, a repressed homosexual?
have you seen monty-pithon? :)
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

Of course! And I see your point on the pledge Strapon, I don't think they should force people to say it however I do feel that people who protest and make a big deal about it are simply teenagers or hippies from the 70s that are looking for something to bitch about. What better to complain about than hating the United States? I mean, it's so hip to hate the U.S.A!
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

hey, there's got to me some group there to make people's opinions on the government/their actions come out. (even if noone cares...)

it's not like i hate hanging my american flag outside my door, i just don't want there to be a law saying i have to recite some pledge to it every day in school.
(plus it takes away from valuable learning time ;))
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

Is it really that bad to stand up for a couple seconds and recite a poem? I mean, I think you should have the choice of not doing so, but is it that bad?
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

Hammer wrote:Of course! And I see your point on the pledge Strapon, I don't think they should force people to say it however I do feel that people who protest and make a big deal about it are simply teenagers or hippies from the 70s that are looking for something to bitch about. What better to complain about than hating the United States? I mean, it's so hip to hate the U.S.A!
Well if you think that people shouldn't be told what to say they believe in. Then why are you against people openly talking about their opinions. Would you rather everybody just say to themselves "The U.S. Government say I need to do this so I'll do this."
PerroViejo
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by PerroViejo »

Strapon2 Wrote
hey, there's got to me some group there to make people's opinions on the government/their actions come out. (even if noone cares...)

it's not like i hate hanging my american flag outside my door, i just don't want there to be a law saying i have to recite some pledge to it every day in school.
(plus it takes away from valuable learning time )
So basically, you gotta fight for your right to parrr...uh um... I mean freedom of expression or worship or some such? :roll:

My heart goes out to you man. I didn't know Colorado was such a boring state that this is what you have to do to keep yourself entertained.

Battle on Strapon2!

P.S. I happen to agree with Hammer, perhaps if you took an ESL class? They helped my mom a lot when we first got to the U.S.
Dark_Machine
Regular
Regular

Post by Dark_Machine »

I got detention more than once for not saying it before they decided that we didn't have to. That was fun.
Jay Levi
DJ Eripio
The Dark Machine
"He is a driven, unflinching, calculating machine, and nothing is beyond him."
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

yea... i'll try

i'll also revise my posts more from this point on! ;)
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

hey

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

You should be fucking happy to sing the song, if you feel that the song is pointless to sing then you should get the fuck out of our country. I bet the people who fought for our freedom would be real happy that kids aren't singing the pledge of allegience because of teen angst problems. I don't care what people do when they come into this country, but they should atleast respect are traditions.

It's like when that arab found out her daughter felt out of place when singing the allegience in class, so they decided to recommend the banning of it in public places. The sad thing is that it almost PASSED.

Whats next, you find the colors on our flag offensive?
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Re: hey

Post by Alphawulf »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:Whats next, you find the colors on our flag offensive?
It's about the reference to God in the pledge that's offensive, and just how exactly does hearing the pledge every day make you feel patriotic? After you use something repetitively its meaning become redundant and nobody cares. Every class that I have witnessed saying the pledge says it in a very half-ass manner and doesn't give it a second thought.

And If you want to know I am proud to be an American. It's just I also find the fact that people are turning our pledge and flag into a, "Do it or else you're an unpatriotic arab." kind of thing very non-represenitive of what the U.S. was founded on.
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

Damn straight, Alphawulf.

I personally fail to see a sufficient reason for reciting it every day. To me it seems akin to Hitler Youth-type stuff. No, no, I am not equating America to the Third Reich. I am just saying that it seems like a form of brainwashing and redundancy. Let people (contrary to popular belief, kids are people too) think for themselves and decide to support or spit on the flag.

I remember one time my friends and I didn't stand for the pledge or even recite it and the entire class got pissed off and said "STAND UP!" My overly liberal Biology teacher subsequently yelled at them for being "ignorant and close-minded for trying to force an opinion on others."

Abstaining from the pledge in no way pisses on the graves of dead soldiers.

You know what they say, that soldiers go to war to give you the right to "protest" in such ways.
This sentence has thirty-two letters.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

5 repititions over a week, 240 repititions over a year...
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Alphawolf/Neondingo, you two know what I'm trying to say.

Who even made the pledge of allegience? I remember hearing that boyscouts used to not say the line: "under god." but that may be false.

I would much rather listen to the star spangled banner once a week than saying this thing every day.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Strapon2 wrote:Who even made the pledge of allegience? I remember hearing that boyscouts used to not say the line: "under god." but that may be false.
It was added by Eisenhower (or the senate during Eisenhowers presidency...) iirc.

Way back when they made me do it, it was just like saying your ABC's... didn't mean shit, just another thing you did during the day. It's why, if someone were to ask me to recite it today 1) I wouldn't remember how it goes, it's been so long since I said it correct (I used to spice it up just for the sake of varity) and 2) I wouldn't, because ... well quite simply, actions speak louder than words. Oh and the "under god" bit just pisses me off.
Our Host!