Password Protection

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Password Protection

Post by spyder07 »

Does anyone know of any free downloadable programs that I can use to password protect windows (everything, I don't want someone to be able to get onto my computer)?
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Fileplanet should have some, I downloaded one 6 months ago.

But it's freaking Gayspy, so try somewhere else.
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

Gayspy? Anyone who can give me a 20-minute video for Half-Life 2 is ok in my book.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

I've found Fileshack to be better, not as many people.

How long did you have to wait in line Alpha? :)
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

Only 23 minutes...yes they are somewhat gay...I am not going to pay them money so I can use their SPECIAL MEMBER SERVERS!
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

I used to play Counter-Strike a lot. Mother of crap, it was horrible! To wait 4 hours to download something for another 4 hours was counter productive and gay.
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

"You only need to wait 0 minutes! but you just need to pay us an annual fee would you like to pay us...or do you want to use the advertised paid 3 hour-long wait Public Servers?" -gamespy

Gamespy really does suck and it's chocked full of ads.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Forget any Windows passwords. If you want absolutely nobody getting on your machine, use the BIOS password feature. It's absolutely uncrackable short of outright taking out the BIOS battery and replacing it with a new one to wipe the memory.

So just go into your BIOS (hold delete while booting up) and select the password setup option, enter the password of your choice and BAM! Security.

Be careful, though. Once you set that up, there is no turning back short of very nasty operations. Make absolutely sure you want a password and get one you're happy with and won't forget. You can't change or remove it.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

I think the real question is, Is there someone who knows their computer tech stuff and really wants to get into your computer? For most people the answer is no, and for general users getting on the comp isn't as much of a worry as people trying to get into your comp when you're on the net.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

I just want my fucking brother to use his computer and not mine. I'd rather not go screwing around with the bios spazmo, cause that sounds kind of permenant.
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

I can remember getting mad at my older brother when he passworded his comp cause he was mad at me...so I went into a motherboard menu during startup and used the password option to turn on my own password...so now neither of us could use it without cooperating...then he threatened to kick my ass and I told him what it was.
Last edited by Alphawulf on Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Go for the software-passwords... I think Googlio should help you in this task. Like Spazmo said, BIOS-password is pretty much permanent and *damn* nasty if you happen to forget it. I know, believe me, I've tried it. 'Twas an old computer, 486, so it didn't really matter but still...
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

...I am not going to pay them money so I can use their SPECIAL MEMBER SERVERS!
I'm thinking of doing it... what was it? a minor pay a month or something? no sweat when you got visa...
Testicular Pugilist
axltrauts
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by axltrauts »

Kashluk wrote:Go for the software-passwords... I think Googlio should help you in this task. Like Spazmo said, BIOS-password is pretty much permanent and *damn* nasty if you happen to forget it. I know, believe me, I've tried it. 'Twas an old computer, 486, so it didn't really matter but still...
u can bypass this password, if u take away the battery of the bios.

if u are using windows 2000 or linux or any OS of this kind, u can prevent other people of getting into ur computer without an account.
"From the greed of the Campbells,
From the ire of the Drummonds,
From the pride of the Grahams,
From the wind of the Murrays,
Good Lord, deliver us."
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

make sure that if you do have win2k and make your login, with password, that you also password protect the "administrator" login. (if you don't someone who knows a little about computers could easily get on your's)

but a simple password on admin would stop anyone.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

Well I've got WinME and the only thing like that is the user accounts that only change the desktop apperance. I'll look around on the net after I get off work tonight.
Killa-Killa
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Killa-Killa »

Strapon2 wrote:make sure that if you do have win2k and make your login, with password, that you also password protect the "administrator" login. (if you don't someone who knows a little about computers could easily get on your's)
but a simple password on admin would stop anyone.
I use a "Primary" account without admin rights, and an admin whenever I need admin rights.
Any password protection on WinME and your bro (assuming he's not some computer n00b) can get past it. I use Win2K, no problems there, short of formatting. If my brothers do that, then I'll find out (When my password doesn't work) and kick their asses.
KillaKilla's logic:
FOT and FO: BOS weren't FO at all!........... 1. I am nobody
DOGMEAT is God. Never dispute this!........ 2. Nobody is perfect
Up and coming hardware nerd.................. 3. Hence I am perfect
Our Host!