Starcraft vs. Warcraft

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Hammer wrote:In Starcraft the Xel'Nagga created the Zerg, in Aliens the "pilot" race created the Aliens.
I believe they were called Xenomorphs, although Aliens means the exact same thing.

I actually thought the ship in Ridley's flick was theirs.

Then again, all there was on that ship was eggs full of facehuggers. Since Queens only make eggs and the Facehuggers/Xenomorphs were parasitic creatures so obviously, I was dead wrong.
Sol Invictus
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Sol Invictus »

All the dialogue that's said by the Terran carryall (Sorry, I don't remember what the transporter was called. So I use a Dune reference) thingy is from the Aliens movie, too.
Administrator

Circle of Eight - Hellgate: London Resource Center
www.co8.org
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

drrrrrrrropship. 'strap yourselves in boyzz'
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Hammer wrote: In Aliens colonies of humans are the victims of the first Alien attacks
The first victims were of the crew aboard Nostromo.
In Starcraft the Xel'Nagga created the Zerg
The Xel'naga created the Overmind, not the zerg. The swarms of different creatures were created by the overmind.
in Aliens the "pilot" race created the Aliens.

Noone is sure what the real story is, or if it indeed *was* the "pilot-race" who created them. You are referring to the creatuer in the chair of the ship, which was found by the Nostromos, correct?
We can go on and on with the multiple similarities, fact of the matter is in terms of story StarCraft is not original in any way shape or form.
I agree there are many similarities, but blizzard created their own story in this one. From alien races created, to terran re-colonization and twisting plots.

One thing that I agree is a rip-off, is the psychic sensitivity of the Zerg, in the alien books, there were countless "proof" of how the aliens reacted differently to anger-frenzied marines and extreme will, it could almost control them in some cases.
Testicular Pugilist
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Smiley wrote: The first victims were of the crew aboard Nostromo.
Didnt the Nostromo land at the infested colony and one of them got the facehugger or was it just a another ship they connected too? I might be wrong, but didnt they land at the same colony that Riply and crew returns to in the second Aliens movie..? Its been a long time since I saw em last.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

They landed at that planet, but there was no colony at the time.
Literacy is overated.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

The first victims were of the crew aboard Nostromo.
Actuallty the 'pilot' race was, chubby.
Noone is sure what the real story is, or if it indeed *was* the "pilot-race" who created them. You are referring to the creatuer in the chair of the ship, which was found by the Nostromos, correct?
Yes I am, Tons O' Fun. If you read the back story of the Alien series it is widly believed and accepted that the 'Pilot' race created them.

An interesting website you might find interesting (tee hee) is called the "Aliens Encylopedia" do a Google search for it some time. Has everything you ever wanted to know!
I agree there are many similarities, but blizzard created their own story in this one. From alien races created, to terran re-colonization and twisting plots.
I disliked how the story progression was dependent on which race you played, I'd have preferred a large campaigned for each race that is entirely independent on the other race's story lines.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Hammer wrote:I disliked how the story progression was dependent on which race you played, I'd have preferred a large campaigned for each race that is entirely independent on the other race's story lines.
You mean something akin to CnC? I don't know about that, I rather liked how it seemed like one story, split into three parts, each part told from another perspective.

The CnC approach of "This side tells one story and this side tells another and then in the sequel we decide which was the 'correct' story" is kind of weird.
axltrauts
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by axltrauts »

Smiley wrote:The Xel'naga created the Overmind, not the zerg. The swarms of different creatures were created by the overmind.
i'm holding the SC manual right now, it says:

"They (Xel'Naga) labored to advance the evolution of the most insignificant life form on Zerus, a race of miniature insectoids known as the Zerg..."
"Atlhough extremely small, worm-like, and posessing no ability to manipulate their physical surroundings..."
"they developed the ability to burrow into the flesh of the less vulnerable species indigenous to Zerus. Feeding off the nutrients contained within the spinal fluids of their hosts, the zerg learned to parasitically merge with their host creatures. The zerg used their new bodies to manipulate their surroundings."

it's too much to write, so i'll resume. the zerg assimilated many races that came across their paths, then the xel naga decided to unify their minds into one single one, called the overmind. the overmind created the cerebrates, cerebrates made the queens, and indirectly made the overlords. the zerg, obviously are a merge of many many different species, and each structure or unit is/was the remains of their hosts. the zerg practically made themselves, the xel naga just gave the push, and they just created the overmind, and it kicked their xel naga asses.
"From the greed of the Campbells,
From the ire of the Drummonds,
From the pride of the Grahams,
From the wind of the Murrays,
Good Lord, deliver us."
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Actuallty the 'pilot' race was, chubby.
I thought we were talking about *human* victims.

You're right axltrauts =/
Guess I don't know my starcraft.
Testicular Pugilist
axltrauts
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by axltrauts »

the only i can say, starcraft is the game that longed the most unmodified, since 1997/1998, and even now there are tournaments (sponsored by samsung i guess). i should add, i got tired of that game since 2001.
"From the greed of the Campbells,
From the ire of the Drummonds,
From the pride of the Grahams,
From the wind of the Murrays,
Good Lord, deliver us."
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

Bleh, I couldn't even get through the human Starcraft campaign before I got bored. I liked Warcraft alot better.
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

You should have tried the Zerg campaign in stead, it was far more amusing.
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

The CnC approach of "This side tells one story and this side tells another and then in the sequel we decide which was the 'correct' story" is kind of weird.
Being a strong supporter of the humans in Star Craft, I was disappointed with every ending. It basically gives you a big kick in the nuts when if you wanna see the story progress even more you basically have to kill all of your former Armies.
satanisgreat
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by satanisgreat »

Lynxer wrote:You should have tried the Zerg campaign in stead, it was far more amusing.
Mmmmm...maybe. I couldn't do it without finishing the human campaign, though. And I just didn't have the patience.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Hammer wrote:Being a strong supporter of the humans in Star Craft, I was disappointed with every ending. It basically gives you a big kick in the nuts when if you wanna see the story progress even more you basically have to kill all of your former Armies.
I felt the same way. It would have been nice to be able to play through to entire game with one race, like in Warcraft 2. It would have been even better if your performance actually mattered, and you had some element of control over the story.
Literacy is overated.
Nuclear Gandhi
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Nuclear Gandhi »

Well, that's what Starcraft 2 is for. But, 1 is already done with (For a loooong time.) so I don't care...
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

I kinda like WarCraft more then I like StarCraft. I like giant scorpions that go *KVATCH* and mass summoning of water elementals, more then I like saying g0 g0 g0, so sue me.
Hello New Jersey
Our Host!