RPG quirks

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

RPG quirks

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

What is your preference in playing RPGs, what type of character, any wierd things you do?
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

I generally play a thief/light combat/high speech type character. Usually in the early game I'll have a focus on combat while building up EXP then from there I'll boost my thieving and finally work on my speech impediment.

Lionheart not having a pick pocket skill was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me :( ... Ah well.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

My first playthrough any RPG is always the super 100% goody-two shoes. I'll take a paladin class if it's avalible and save all the little kittes from the trees.

Of course, some games force you to do that, but still.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

Most games force you to do that Spazmo, but if a game doesn't I try to play a professional "Soldier" type character, in MorroWind I joined the Imperial Legion and did everything for the Emperor and the nine divines. I help those who need it yet smite the wicked in the most brutal of ways.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

I always play a madmax kind of char, I'm not good or evil I just do what I have to to servive, if someone attack me I'll attack them back, if someone asks me to kill someone I'll do it for the right price of course, which means I'll normally pick a fighter class or something like a warrior.
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

Hammer wrote:I help those who need it yet smite the wicked in the most brutal of ways.
Couldn't have said it better.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I'm usually jack of all trades, though rely on speech a littel bit. And if that fails I can just try and kill them while running away, yakka-pow!
:chew:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

hey

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I usually always go with a speech type character, with the rest of the skills going to something useful in combat. I do mostly good quests, with sometimes a mix of bad ones if the person has a legitmate excuse.

I always name my character with my name, and try different characters through the beggining of the game to the point that I basically memorize what each person is going to say, untill I decide to just trudge forward with a character. It drives me insane sometimes, I have hard time making decisions.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

i usually play a darker character that doesn't always have to turn to fighting as his way out of things.
so basicly, not goody-two shoes, but with darker elements such as theiving, sneaking, backstabbing. but then again, more than half of the charactor is focused on talking their way out rather than fighting. too bad not many rpg's have that option..
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Almost every time I play Fallout 1/2 I'll start off good and work my way to evil by killing random people that get in my way. A few times I swept through Vault City or some other town that deserved it.
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

Yeah, I'm pretty much like Fallout Junkie.

I only kill people that get in my way. As long as people are leaving me alone I'm not going to cap them. Sometimes I kill to get an item I really, really need if I can't steal it. I do this as long as it's not going to screw me over somehow.

Sometimes I kill people that I think deserve to die, such as random junkies in New Reno. They suck, plain and simple. Actually, I like killing everyone in New Reno because that city sucks.

I kill every mutant I see because mutants are freaks of nature that need to be eliminated. I remember in Tactics I killed EVER LAST ONE OF THOSE MUTANT EMBRYOS and General Barnaky got all pissed off and I was like "Fuck you, old man! Mutants suck ass!"

Ghouls are tolerable because they're at least not stupid (Old and wise, some being 200+ years old) and aren't really being created anymore.

I like to help out people if I can get something in return (respect, items, food, water, shelter, sex).

I usually like being a sniper/thief type character in Fallout. I'm not big on being ultra-powerful. I like being quick with a powerful sting. I really like using pistols too, such as the ultimate .223 pistol.

I usually play as a female. I think possibly because I get to stare at a woman's ass for 5 hours straight.
This sentence has thirty-two letters.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I usually play a good guy the first time through as well... and I always try to avoid killing people who aren't hostile towards me. Call me a pacifist, I guess.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

My characters tend to be females who stradle the fence between "good" and "evil". Yojimbo w/teats. ;)

They don't like getting their hands dirty, so they'd rather talk their way out of a situation, but if that fails they'll high-tail it and fight from long range. (No rolling around in the dirt w/strangers. The hay is another matter...)

In FO/FO2 that usually means a female Sniper/Diplomat with a decent-sized pack of followers/companions; willing to do pretty much anything for anyone, provided she sees advantage in it. (Note, that even the slutiest character I played couldn't bring herself to upstairs w/Little Jesus Mordino...)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

I have a hard time playing a female in any game, maybe I'm a sexist. But in FO2 the only advantage to being a chick was you could fuck everybody.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Hammer wrote:I have a hard time playing a female in any game, maybe I'm a sexist. But in FO2 the only advantage to being a chick was you could fuck everybody.
Try playing through FO2 as am attractive, but extremely prudish character. Any time someone propositions you they get whacked. Right there on the spot, no questions asked, no appeal to a higher court.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Ive got it the same way as pooperscop. I have a hard time deciding what coruse to take from the start of an RPG ive not played before. Sometimes ive restarted the begining of the game so many times I almost lost the mood of playing.. heh. But I usually end up with a opportunistic, but soft hearted guy. A real forced-hero kind of personality. Heh. I always try doing wierd stuff though, like all the strange things you can do in Fallout, just to see what happens heh. I hate heavy combat characters, at lest in FO type games with the gigantic guns and all. They can be cool in fantasy RPGs. So I usually go with a fast hitting character. No big weapons and stuff like that. I tend to solo much as well, ive played through most of both FO1&2 but ive never even had half the NPCs as followers. But someday I probaly will.
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

Depends on the mood of the rpg I' m playing. But it is either a sniper/thieving character staying fairly neutral during the course of the game and only working for people when the price is right for the job (or when I need the exp at lower levels) or a paladin that smacks the living shit out of all people that oppose him or the things he stands for disregharding their good or evil. I kind of like the idea of a flawed palladin, it' s darker side.

But it depends all on the mood of the game like I said.
He who keeps the old akindled and adds new knowledge is fit to be a teacher.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I don't know why, but I just can't play evil. Not in FO, D&D or Morrowind... Even when I *try* to role-play an evil character I usually fail, except in games like GTA where it's good to be bad, but that's another story.

My choice of a character usually involves speech and fighting skills. Although in some of the games I combine skills and classes just to make my character as efficient as possible. Like in Morrowind I have 100 in nearly every skill (from blunt weapons and heavy armor to lockpicking and enchanting magics) and most of the attributes well over 100 (magical items).

In my latest game of Baldur's Gate 2 / Throne of Bhaal I have a Fighter/Thief character with levels 18/35. He's a lean, mean killing machine with high dexterity, strength and constitution. I pick pockets, locks and disarm traps when I'm not busy whacking bad guys.

But if I had to say what character class would describe me the best? Well, hm... It would be a Lawful Good Cleric. A goody-good buddy with healing skills and sick fascination with blunt weapons - yup, that's me!
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Sometimes in Fallout I like to play the righteous crusader, keeping the wasteland safe for my vault, generally by killing every living creature in southern California.
fuck
swordinstone
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by swordinstone »

I try to mix it up, but it depends a lot on the setting. I tend to play The scout/sniper on a first run in a new game tho. I usually take lockpicking and trap skills. Mainly cos I like to see all the areas the game has to offer, and hate knowing there is an area i cant get into. I will sometimes take a break from the action, and save. Then I repeat an area or try something a couple different ways if I think its fun or cool.

I try to stay somewhat of an all arounder too however. I try to take enough INT to open up a lot of skill and perk choices. Other than that I focus on DEX (or agility), with enough STR and CON (endurance) to keep me alive in combat, and so I can carry a bunch of stuff. I usually try to avoid having the enemy shoot at me all together though. Either by setting up a perfect ambush, or laying a nice trap and baiting them into it.
Against the grain
That where I'll stay
Swimmin up stream...
I maintain against the grain!
Our Host!