Fallout can never be a online game

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Tunchi
SDF!
SDF!

Fallout can never be a online game

Post by Tunchi »

I think that what makes Fallout the amazing game it is, is not the great combat sistem, it is the fact that is on of the few real RPGs for computer, by this i mean that it is not just another walk and kill game, it haves a very good history, and a lot of endings acording to wat you did in the game, it covers almost everything, if only they mentioned the reclutable NPCs on the ending, this game would be definitely the best computer game ever, anyway, the point is that online RPGs are just hacking and slashing games, so i think that making a online version of Fallout would be a insult to the game and to all of the fans of the RPGs, just think of what they did to the game whit fallout tactics, i know it has a good history, but the game is too damn lineal.
If anyone is starting or thinking on starting a proyect of fallout online, i beg to him not to go on, for the god of fallout, don´t taint Fallout´s name.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

interplay = too poor to support a MMORGP so don't worry
bey.
N0N4M3
SDF!
SDF!

Post by N0N4M3 »

A co-op would be fantastic ;) and well...
I would not play it if it was a mmorpg on the other hand I would play it if people could create theire (can some1 help me with that word, is it correctly spelled :? ) own servers.
Like making 1-4 player games :D that would be great!
Dont you agree ?
N0N4M3

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of gum
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Nope, no multiplayer at all is the only way to go.

No company has infinite time or money to develop perfect games, to add multiplayer would mean that sacrifices would have to be made to the single player game and the Fallout franchise probably wouldn't be able to survive another mediocre game, not after FO: BOS.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
tai
SDF!
SDF!

Post by tai »

You could do a fallout online game if you build it properly. Too many people build it wrong, and there IS a way to make a cheap to maintain online game that doesnt suck. It's a simple re-wiring and hard coding in some of the networking mechanics. It's a theory, but it should work. Removes the need to pay for most of the servers, which is honestly a big cutback on revenue drain. Secondly, with something as well designed as fallout, and already predisposed in what it is and with itself, they would have to build an online version in a different environment that wouldn't adversely affect the original. Like for say, building it on another continent, or stepping quite a bit into the future to avoid conflict and future projected conflict with future possible FO games. Third, they'd have to make it unforgiving. So yes, without a doubt IF they did everything right, it would work wonderously. But something like this would have an extremely large margin for error and would be likely to be built improperly.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

The way Fallout works with you making and customizing your archetype character is great single player. In theory, it could work in a MP environment, but the problem with this theory is that you might want to be RPing, and then other people who you don't even know come in and fuck the whole thing up.

If you want to RP with other people, go get a group of friends and do it yourself. Fallout Online at best would be a bad imitation of Diablo 2, in terms of being soley focused on getting rare items, getting rushed for exp, and little bitches whingeing about leet hax0rz and OMG LAAAAAAAAAG!!1
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

tai wrote:But something like this would have an extremely large margin for error
Given IPLY's recent track record, I don't think they can afford to risk the margin.
tai wrote:and would be likely to be built improperly.
Yeah, you got it buddy.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

there IS a way to make a cheap to maintain online game that doesnt suck. It's a simple re-wiring and hard coding in some of the networking mechanics. It's a theory, but it should work. Removes the need to pay for most of the servers, which is honestly a big cutback on revenue drain
Enlighten us as to this beautful new technology that will usher in a new golden age of online gaming, plz?

Secondly, with something as well designed as fallout, and already predisposed in what it is and with itself, they would have to build an online version in a different environment that wouldn't adversely affect the original.
Like?

Like for say, building it on another continent, or stepping quite a bit into the future to avoid conflict and future projected conflict with future possible FO games.
The timeline has fuckall to do with it. The Fallout setting simply does not lend itself at all to making an MMORPG. It's the mechanics, dufus. Try reading the old threads in this forum before posting.

So yes, without a doubt IF they did everything right, it would work wonderously
No. It's impossible to make a good FOOL, just like according to Einsteinian physics it's impossible to go faster than the speed of light.
fuck
Radiation
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Radiation »

I tried playing Shogo online and it never succeeded. I think Fallout Online would be totally different.

" If it glows, don't touch it. "

Our Host!