Greatest Game Composers?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Greatest Game Composers?

Post by iohkus »

Frank Klepacki, who did all the C&C soundtracks like Hell March...

and the guy who did Q2 soundtrack... Sonic Mayhem i believe?

i'd include nin for Q1 and skinny puppy for descent 2 but they aren't really game composers...

is it more or there are lot of good industrial game soundtracks?

oh yeah and the guy who did fallout music owned, some creepy ambient stuff :shock:

but really some game music is really good stuff that out weighs a lot of the shit that's being force fed to all the mindless 12 year old drones out there over MTV and radio
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Didn't we have this topic about 2 monthes ago?
Hello New Jersey
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

the soundtrack for Quest for Glory V is one of the best I've played to...
KruddMan
Respected
Respected

Post by KruddMan »

Interstate 76 is the winner i have to say for best game soundtrack
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

I believe a band named Coblat 60 did a song on the C&C: Red Alert sound track. I think it was Radio, but I know for sure it wasn't Hell March.
axltrauts
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by axltrauts »

i don't remember... but there was a group named Alpha Lira that composed many soundtracks for videogames... where they for capcom or konami? anyways, they were great

anyways, i really think they guys that made the castlevania SOTN and Nobuo Uematsu from the final fantasy series
"From the greed of the Campbells,
From the ire of the Drummonds,
From the pride of the Grahams,
From the wind of the Murrays,
Good Lord, deliver us."
Sykotik
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sykotik »

Come on... you forget the musical soundtrack experience that was Unreal (and Unreal Tournament)? I used to listen to those UMX files for days on end with MODPlug...
The two main composers were Alexander Brandon and Michiel van den Bos, and damn... those guys track with a fevered intensity 8)

k k
Tits.
iohkus
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by iohkus »

spyder07 wrote:I believe a band named Coblat 60 did a song on the C&C: Red Alert sound track. I think it was Radio, but I know for sure it wasn't Hell March.
u can ask him yourself;

www.frankklepacki.com

he was the main composer, but he also had other composers come in, like for Tiberian Sun he had composer come in with ambient stuff.
Mohrg6sic6
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mohrg6sic6 »

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Can't think of who did most of the music, but it's the best music in any game besides, FF, IMHO!

Mohrg :evil:
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

People who did the stuff for System Shock 1 & 2, Homeworld and Fallout. Fallout 2 was lacking in the music department.

Other then that, I don't really pay attention to music in games, unless it is outstanding or so shitful I need to turn it off.
axltrauts
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by axltrauts »

i also like the music from the lucasarts games like day of the tentacle and monkey island, the loops are well done.

and of system shock 1, they did and excellent job! it sounds almost that the music never ends and never loops!

And the Robert Prince music in Doom.
Good Lord, deliver us."
Da Man
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Da Man »

Full Throttle was a good LucasArts game too.
Peace Out
Phias
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Phias »

Mark Morgan, who did the music for Fallout 1, 2 and Planescape Torment. A few others, who I cannot remember.
Endure. In enduring, grow strong.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Da Man wrote:Full Throttle was a good LucasArts game too.
And the songs from there were pretty good.
Anyone know the track-names? I'd like to be able to hear them without having to play.
Testicular Pugilist
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

I believe they didn't realy have a name. I['m also pretty sure they came in midi format, get the game, use amazing hacking abilities, and wallah!

Also, for those naming Mark Morgan, yeah, the guy's a genius. There's also Yasunori Mitsuda, who were the main music composer in Chrono Trigger. There's also whatshisname, this one guy who produced most of the Final Fantasy tunes... Name starts with U? I GUESS HE'S JUST NOT IMPORTANT ENOUGH.

Klepacki, now there's a name I don't hear very often for some reason. Yes, exellent work in C&C, but I don't recall hearing of his name outside the C&C community... Was his music used in other games?

If you want names of groups that used to be big in the gaming soundtrack, how's about Future Crew, eh? They're dead now, sure, but they used to be big... Skaven still makes music though, you probably heard most of his new stuff in practicly every new PopCap game that comes out.

C:SOTN doesn't realy have one composer(no suprise there), and it's kind of hard to decide who should be getting most of the credit for the music... I think, maybe Vennesa Mae? I'm pretty sure she's connected to it somehow.
Hello New Jersey
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Black Doggie WOggie wrote:the soundtrack for Quest for Glory V is one of the best I've played to...
Shitty game, though.
First Force
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by First Force »

Al Lowe, the creator of Larry 1, he also composed the music.
You are losing it, doesn`t matter, let`s close our eyes and wake up from this dream.....
-------------------------------
Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.
-------------------------------
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Moscow Symphony Orchestra - Outcast.
axltrauts
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by axltrauts »

the guardian wrote:There's also whatshisname, this one guy who produced most of the Final Fantasy tunes... Name starts with U? I GUESS HE'S JUST NOT IMPORTANT ENOUGH.
i'd say his name is Nobuo Uematsu, cool music, bad game.
the guardian wrote:C:SOTN doesn't realy have one composer(no suprise there), and it's kind of hard to decide who should be getting most of the credit for the music... I think, maybe Vennesa Mae? I'm pretty sure she's connected to it somehow.
I am the wind is a wonderful song!

U heard about the Castlevania: Resurrection music? although it was cancelled, i managed to hear their tracks, i never thought i'd hear one song of this game in Disco!!! And Yodel!!!!!! damn

oh, by the way, i found a small cover band called Mini Bosses. interesting thing.
Good Lord, deliver us."
Calal
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Calal »

Some of the tracks on Empreror: Battle for Dune were nicely done. Can' t recall the name of the artist though. Those Ordos themes sounded plain weird, but added to the atmosphere, although maybe not in line with the overall feeling of Herbert' s books. Then again, none of the themes did actually.
He who keeps the old akindled and adds new knowledge is fit to be a teacher.
Our Host!