Half-Life 2, Physics, and you!

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Half-Life 2, Physics, and you!

Post by Alphawulf »

Does a game really need physics? I mean will it be more of a gimmick than something that actually feels like it belongs?
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

People generally feel better when objects obey the rules, and anyway, just because it won't follow earth's physics doesn't mean it won't follow *any* physics, that would mean everything would just randomly act... In a certain way... Uh... I'm not sure what exactly happes... so yes, a game realy needs physics.
Hello New Jersey
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Yes, the game does need physics. FPS games need to strive to be as immersive as possible, and realistic physics (or physics that are appropriate to the setting) are necessary to achieve a higher level of immersion.

As for whether or not it becomes a gimmick, that depends on the level design. Red Faction's Geo-Mod technology which let you blast through most solid objects was a gimmick since it was hardly ever needed in the game. Hopefully, Half-Life 2 will use it's physics better, letting doors be smashed, tables be knocked over and the like.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

From the looks of one of the videos I saw you can move stuff into doorways, set traps, create obstacles for monsters, and other stuff that effects gameplay. Sure it's a gimmick, but if it has an important part in the game I can see it setting an example for the future.

Red Faction's GeoMod was a good example. It was almost completely useless in singleplayer, but multiplayer was very cool. Before cheaters took over there were some awesome custom maps that took great advantage of it.

Devastation has a sort of realistic physics engine, but it never effected the game at all. Not in singleplayer, and certainly not in multiplayer. Physics is all about how you use it.
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

Yes those videos do look shiny. The AI is great too, I mean you push a table in front of a door to stop the enemy from getting in, then all of sudden when he can't open the door he runs to the window and starts shooting inside, as he's still shooting, one of his buddies comes and blows a grenade in front of the door. Then you run like hell.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Alphawulf wrote:Yes those videos do look shiny. The AI is great too, I mean you push a table in front of a door to stop the enemy from getting in, then all of sudden when he can't open the door he runs to the window and starts shooting inside, as he's still shooting, one of his buddies comes and blows a grenade in front of the door. Then you run like hell.
Damn I need to see these videos, where can I get them from?
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

Well here's a link
http://www.fileplanet.com/download.aspx?f=123983
I suppose you'll have to wait to use the public servers as I had to then the DL itself takes about 6-8 hours on DSL. The video though is a full 20:40sec long. DL it when you have plenty of time to stay online and go do something else maybe go to the movies then go out to eat.

You might be able to find faster DLs but this is a Gamespy exclusive and basically compiles all the other videos out there on the net.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

well it's only as gimmicky as having skins for models, more than one weapon etc.

I think it affects the game so it can't be that bad?
:chew:
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

Yah it can't be that bad...can it be extremely cool? YES!
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

As far as it's done well. I personally enjoyed RF's geo-mod physics a lot, but then again nut-cases usually enjoy the simpliest of things.
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

Alphawulf wrote:Well here's a link
http://www.fileplanet.com/download.aspx?f=123983
I suppose you'll have to wait to use the public servers as I had to then the DL itself takes about 6-8 hours on DSL. The video though is a full 20:40sec long. DL it when you have plenty of time to stay online and go do something else maybe go to the movies then go out to eat.

You might be able to find faster DLs but this is a Gamespy exclusive and basically compiles all the other videos out there on the net.
Oh yeah here's another link
http://jet.ro/dismount/
If you can spend 7 hours playing those games I salute you Fallout Junkie.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

one of the coolest things that i noticed during the video, in the house section of it, was when the guy was shooting in through the window.
what was so cool about it was that the enemy didn't have a line of sight to the player, and yet he was still shooting. that's really cool IMO.

would that gforce4 card be able to handle HL2? (im guessing yes..)
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

Yah there are a lot of cool things in that video, but I wanted to see them use the grav gun and physics engine to throw matresses at the striders.
Last edited by Alphawulf on Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

::drools::
just think of the mods!!!
Sol Invictus
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Sol Invictus »

Half Life 2 is one of the games I'll be completely immersing myself with - be it because of the physics, the state of the art AI or even the graphics. Everything that I have seen from the trailer is more impressive than anything I've seen from previous FPS releases, including Doom 3. Doom 3 may have the graphics advantage but it certainly doesn't have anything on Half Life 2. Some will disagree with me, but only time will tell.

As for Half Life 2, the AI is particularly impressive - as exhibited during the window shoot. The AI basically predicted where the player would run during a run and like any real person, he 'lead' his target instead of shooting at the spot his target stood on a second ago based on a line of sight, like most games do these days.

Hmm... I wonder how difficult it will be to fool the AI into a misfire.
Administrator

Circle of Eight - Hellgate: London Resource Center
www.co8.org
Alphawulf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Alphawulf »

I still can't wait to use the grav-gun to pick up an old matress and use it as a shield!
Sol Invictus
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Sol Invictus »

Two words:
corpse shield
Administrator

Circle of Eight - Hellgate: London Resource Center
www.co8.org
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

I assume Half Life 2 uses it's own physics engine and not Havok (Deus Ex 2) or Karma (UT 2003.)

I thought Geomod was a good step in the right direction. It would be great in "non linear" FPSs of the future. (Deus Ex was far from non linear.)
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

deus-ex was linear... but at least in that if you killed or didn't kill someone, or did or didn't go somewhere the game would be altered, and you might have to do something different.
deus-ex is a great game...

i hope that HL2 is not always exactly the same every run through, i would like to see a flexible plot based on your actions.
Ernesto
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Ernesto »

Deus Ex has one of the best titles ever. It's incredibly symbolic on different levels. There's Bob Page and his "project" and of course deus ex machina means intervention from a super human agency.

System Shock is diffenitely Spector's best so far, then again there is Thief and Ulitma Underworld.
Our Host!