Mac or PC?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Mac or PC?

Mac
19%
PC
81%

Total votes: 21

HarveyPooka
SDF!
SDF!

Mac or PC?

Post by HarveyPooka »

You use a Mac or PC for Fallout/Fallout 2?
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
Groucho Marks.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Re: Mac or PC?

Post by axelgreese »

HarveyPooka wrote:You use a Mac or PC for Fallout/Fallout 2?
yes there's a mac version. its' the one of the few games you can get on the mac, unless you consider art programs games.

That said, people who use macs for their personal computers are idiots.
HarveyPooka
SDF!
SDF!

Post by HarveyPooka »

It's really quite strange - whenever I post a message like that, or ask someone whether they use a Mac or a PC, PC users get really...
tetchy? I'm not sure what it is.
My response usually is:
Doesn't matter what you use, it's how you get there. They're just computers!
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
Groucho Marks.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

HarveyPooka wrote:Doesn't matter what you use, it's how you get there. They're just computers!
If you came into a room by smashing your head against the door repeatedly rather than just opening it, I might raise an eyebrow.

That's the same thing as a Mac gamer.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I use a PC.

Also, this doesn't have much to do with FO3, so I'm moving it. And since this will turn into a Mac/PC debate, I bet I'll have to move it again.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

how can you play fallout with only 1 mouse button?? that must be hell.
mrhandy 2.0
The Unlucky SDF!
The Unlucky SDF!

Post by mrhandy 2.0 »

Axelgrease your dislike of the Mac platform doesn't do you any credit.

I play Fallout 1 & 2 on my Mac in Mac OS X and everything plays beautifully.

No weird instructions or hacks to get it to run in NT or W2k or XP or any of that garbage. I just installed them and they work fine.

As for the single button mouse - you just hold down the option key (Alt key to you PC people) and the secondary menus come up.

Now I will of course grant you that PCs are in many respects the superior platform for games. But Macs still do just fine thank you very much.

And please remember where Fallout got its origin - a certain game called Wasteland originally designed for the Apple II computer, and then later ported to Commodore and IBM.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

mrhandy 2.0 wrote:Axelgrease your dislike of the Mac platform doesn't do you any credit.

I play Fallout 1 & 2 on my Mac in Mac OS X and everything plays beautifully.

No weird instructions or hacks to get it to run in NT or W2k or XP or any of that garbage. I just installed them and they work fine.
Same here and I'm on XP.

There are many professional uses for a Mac (graphic design, etc.) but little personal uses for it.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Buy a man a Mac he'll be a gamer for a day, buy him a PC he'll be one for life.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Heh, that's good, I'm gonna remember that Junkie.
Yeah Macs are no good, just because. They're practically baby computers, you have close to none of the freedom you get on a PC with a mac. They are good for the musical and graphical applications, because of that unchanging stability, but really, they're no good for anything else other than keeping it's users out of computer trouble... never have to troubleshoot cause everything's always the same.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

they're no good for anything else other than keeping it's users out of computer trouble... never have to troubleshoot cause everything's always the same.
they dont "fail" as often, but you cant tweak/upgrade(as far as i know) and they arent appealing to my eyes...
i would rather have a metal box with wires sticking out than a swoopy "sky blue" monitor with cd tray.

and plus, i have a hatred for them that was created by school, being forced to type stuff and do computer crap on them for hours on end doesnt make you like them... especially when you see you cant play any of your games on them. (but thats just what i think..)
PIPBoy2161
Regular
Regular

Post by PIPBoy2161 »

Strapon2 wrote: and plus, i have a hatred for them that was created by school, being forced to type stuff and do computer crap on them for hours on end doesnt make you like them... especially when you see you cant play any of your games on them. (but thats just what i think..)
amen to that brother... i feel your pain, hours upon days, upon years of countless classes teaching us how to "type", like i dont already know how to type, sheesh.... macs suck all around in my opinion, but thats opinion.... :evil:
Image Redding miners diggin' for gold! :)
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

I do believe that proves the anti-mac point quite nicely. Bravo. :D
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

i always thought that it was idiocy to have them in schools, for one main reason:
why learn about macs when if you have any experience with another computer in your life it is nearly 90% chance that that computer will be a PC.

and what good is knowing how to do stuff that is strictly for mac when you need to know it on PC..

(i hope mavis-beacon rots in hell for what she has done to me...)
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

he he Beacon. Beer Can
TheVexedSoul
SDF!
SDF!

Post by TheVexedSoul »

macs can do pretty much anything that pcs can do, sometimes better. how many of you have actually owned a mac? and i'm not talking about typing on some old piece of crap at school like an apple lc II but actually OWNing a mac. i bet there are few, if any, of you. i have owned and used pcs before but i've just found it easier to use macs and i really don't have any need to use pcs. if there ever came a time that there was an application only available on the pc that i needed to use, i could just run it on virtual pc.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

I have friends that own macs. They may be easier to use, but why exactly is easier to use better? Easier to use means less ability to tweak yourself, and that's not what a lot of us want.
And I'm sure that pc emulator works perfectly ;)
See, on the other hand, with the pc, there really are no programs that are mac exclusive any more, so we don't have to worry as long as we're properly upgraded. With the mac, unless you're talking graphics or music here, you have to wait months or years to get the same programs pcs have - if at all.
Not to mention, they only have ONE mouse button. Useless.
TheVexedSoul
SDF!
SDF!

Post by TheVexedSoul »

maybe i just prefer the mac os, but it's easier to navigate and use and much more stable. even new computer users can figure out their way around. if you're talking about tweaking as in adding on to your computer, it's even easier on macs because apple keeps that in mind when desgining the computers, especially on the desktop computers. you can just flip down the side of the box and you have the whole insides of the computer at your fingertips. virtual pc actually does work pretty well, especially on os x. and what are these exclusive programs that mac users have to wait for months or years to get that they actually need? there are some exclusive to the mac, too. i am using the safari web browser only available for mac right now and it's much faster than explorer or netscape. and if you really needed a two-mouse button, you could just go to the store and buy one for ten dollars.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Theoretically, Macs are a lot more efficient, colorful, whatever, and always have been. But the fact of the matter is the world is unwilling to convert. Even with very good iMac sales, Mac has never really gained dominance, and as a result most things that have to do with computers are tailored for PCs - as have kids that have been brought up using computers (myself included). Thing is, it's too late to convert now - it's too costly and the world is not ready. It's unlikely that Macs will go extinct any time in the near future, but PCs have easily dominated the market, and thus it becomes harder and harder to use a Mac (given what PCs are capable of due to more money being spent on them and anything related to them). Resistance is futile...
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Our Host!