Death Claw vs. Super Mutants

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
twiztid wanderer
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Death Claw vs. Super Mutants

Post by twiztid wanderer »

I was just curious what all of you guys who play FoT liked better and why the one race was chosen over the other. Personally I like the Death Claws better than the super mutants for the fact that they can throw things and sneak better and get the rabies perk is it? and the factt hat they dont give u a penalty to perception...
Is it they fear the pain of death or do they fear the joy of life?
Life is only an outer layer, for reality is only realized by the insane.
Sc0pE
Respected
Respected

Post by Sc0pE »

hmmm... deathclaws rock (sneak up behind, knock unconcious) and rabid rules!!!
hi-mag optical telescopic sights and 12.7mm fin tipped DU SLAP rounds... what more can you ask for... - go the eye critical!......... I quote the innocent villager
"BLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH"
*drools*
maxl
SDF!
SDF!

Post by maxl »

yo! DeathClaw rulez!
cya
maxl
Umpa
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Umpa »

deathclaws are better but i still like super mutants alot.
Demis
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Demis »

I like them both, but only because they offer a nice amount of XP when found on random encounters :D , i can't resist hitting yes when "deathclaws" or "Mutants" is shown as RE.

BTW, did anyone stumbled on a random encounter with both? or is just not possible?
"When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I only think about how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
Buckminster Fuller
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

I haven't used either as a PC or NPC, so I can't really comment.

As enemies go, I was disappointed by the DC's AI. As I thought adult DC's were supposed to be as smart as the average human, I expected them to wait in the shadows and attack in packs to remove the advantage humans have in ranged weapons.

The three baby ones you come across in the building where Quincy's mayor is being held were so dumb, they didn't even run out of the door to attack my squad who were shooting chunks out of them with AKs through the downstairs windows after taking out the beast lord guards.

The ones that attack the ghoul camp are no better and were taken out easily with Neosteads and AKs....

Are you sure DCs can throw things??? I've never seen an enemy DC do this in the 2 1/2 times I've been through the core campaign.....
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Deathclaw for me. I played the SP campaign as one and boy did he rock :). He was unstoppable.
Fez
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Fez »

Demis wrote:BTW, did anyone stumbled on a random encounter with both? or is just not possible?
I've had lots of encounters with bots of various sorts, so it's just your luck! :P
Umpa
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Umpa »

the only time that i've ever seen a deathclaw throw is when i was a deathclaw and it was me that was throwing
Demis
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Demis »

Fez wrote:
Demis wrote:BTW, did anyone stumbled on a random encounter with both? or is just not possible?
I've had lots of encounters with bots of various sorts, so it's just your luck! :P
Bad luck??? Again :x :? I must be the enbodiment of Merphy's Law :roll: :D 8)
"When I am working on a problem I never think about beauty. I only think about how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong."
Buckminster Fuller
twiztid wanderer
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by twiztid wanderer »

Actually if you have a DC in your party try giving it a grenade. Depending on which one you have he should be pretty decent at throwing the thing. Mine only had a starting of 60 throwing but had really really good perception so he did just fine. Other than that you wont ever see a death claw in the normal missons throw a thing at you besides a party member or two.
Is it they fear the pain of death or do they fear the joy of life?
Life is only an outer layer, for reality is only realized by the insane.
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

I like taking muties over Deathclaws just because muties can use ranged weapons and have decent melee skill for backup. Give them a Browning or a Gatling Laser and they should be fine for the later missions.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

I just don't like super mutants ever since they captured Barnaky and did all that stuff in Fo 1&2. I killed all that I met. Including the ones in Broken Hills.
Wolf401
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Wolf401 »

They both have their own qualities , DC's are good HtH fighters or suicidal untis ( if you give them grenades )

Mutants make good heavy support units because they can carry big guns with ease or to jump in when attacked HtH.
Nutter
Respected
Respected

Post by Nutter »

super mutants with basically *any* type of heavy machine gun are good at clearing rooms out, and close quarter combat

deathclaws make excellent thief-type characters

and both can chuck a mean grenade
Dirk_889
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Dirk_889 »

They are both useful in their own ways:

Muties:

Good Because:
As Nutter said putting a gun in their hands is like unleashing hell, and then some.

Downside:
Most smell like the unleashed something else. Giving you crew something else to concentrate on.

-----~-----

Deathclaws:

Good Because:
After they are trained they are good for sneading up behind some unsuspecting raider and spilling his intestins all over the ground.

Downside:
Are useless against Bots which is about 50% of the game.

Muties and Deathclaws:

Can carry a butload of stuff with Carry weight in upwards of 375.
Can throw really good.
"I think therefore I kill."
Our Host!