Encounters

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Encounters

Post by Warlord »

How many encounters do you usually get when you just explore the map?

It's very annoying to try explore, 'coz I get like 5 - 7 encounters per square...and I really would like to explore and maybe find a few more of those special encounters. Now, it's almost double-click speed on that NO button.

BTW, are there any other cities on the map than those you get missions? I mean, are there any town already there, before you get to some specific briefing?
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

There is no way to cut down the number of encounters you get apart from moving to a different part of the world map. There are no other places apart from missions and special encounters. The rate of encounters lowers if you are driving a fast vehicle, try driving a Hummer / Dune Buggy (not the scouter, not as fast.) around the map. The Tank and the APC are too slow to explore with but the Tank is great for getting you to the missions in one piece.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yeah, the random encounters get old after awhile. I think if you improve your outdoorsman skill it will cut down on the RE's.
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

True, the ''explorer'' perk might decrease the amount of encouters also.
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

That doesn't help.
I was so desperate that I tried FALCHE to increase Outdoorsman, as I too thought it might help, but no. I tried with a skill of 300, 1000, 5000 and 10 000 and it didn't make a difference.
I then checked, if there is any difference if you're skill is over 300 with Barter and that really showed that it does make a difference of how much over 300 the skill was.
But nothing helped with the encounters. I just hate to click and click anc click that NO button. Sometimes I get 3 encounters in the exact same place.... can't really explore....
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

I'm confident there IS a perk that solves this, i recall reading something on that somewhere on the net some time ago.
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

As far as I remeber, there are a few perks that affect encounters: Explorer, Ranger, Scout. I think that's all but feel free to add any others I have missed.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

All of those perks that affect encounters only apply to finding Special Random Encounters. They do not affect the chance you have of encountering standard Random Encounters.

You haven't said anything about what patch you're running, so I'll say it: Patch your game to v1.27 (v1.25 if you're running a non-English version) if you haven't already. In its original version FoT's Random Encounters are tied to the frame rate of the Overland/World Map, and this was addressed in the first patch. This info is in the patch ReadMe file.

The only remedy for Random Encounters is having a high Outdoorsman skill. This will only allow you the option to bypass the encounter by clicking on "No". That's all.

As for the question about towns on the World Map: there are no FO RPG-style towns to be found. The FoT core campaign consists solely of missions and their status (open/closed, covered/uncovered) is controlled by how far you've advanced in (nearly) linear plot.
OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Rodman49
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Rodman49 »

I haven't even had a random encounter . . . of course I'm only on mission 3.
Nutter
Respected
Respected

Post by Nutter »

I've heard that also having a high "Luck" score (like 6 or more) will improve the chances of finding a random encounter
Umpa
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Umpa »

i find i always need someone with a high outdoorsman, either me or one of my team members and that lets me avoid random encounters.

and special encounters arent affected by luck in FO:T , only on fallout and fallout 2.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

That's true, the special encounters in Fo:T are set in place. You don't get any encounters until after mission 3. I find that on the world map, there is a fain white line of mountain ranges that I call 'the encounter line' basically you start getting encounters on your way to the next bunker after crossing that line. (In my experience that is.)
Wolf401
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Wolf401 »

I've roamed the entire FoT map , every godforsaken square . I encountered every random encounter with a Luck of 2 . DAMN THAT PITCH BLACK ENCOUNTER !!!!!
" Death is the Khan way of telling you not be such a smartass "
Our Host!