ATI or NVidia ? [/Poll]

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Alright... FanATIc or NV-Fan?

!!!ATI!!!
55%
!!!NVidia!!!
45%

Total votes: 29

Carib
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Carib »

I love Macs ta death. I gonna defineatly get an iBook and get Fallout 1, 2 and Diablo 2...

Macs have the best graphics and that is a fact, why things is so tuff, is cause Microsoft and all those other tight assed companys with hold games...
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Rama Stryfe wrote:I love Macs ta death. I gonna defineatly get an iBook and get Fallout 1, 2 and Diablo 2...

Macs have the best graphics and that is a fact, why things is so tuff, is cause Microsoft and all those other tight assed companys with hold games...
Well it's a large part anyway...

Did you see "Pirates of silicon valley" ? Great movie...
afaik most of it is true, regarding the developments through time...

Just think, if Gate-boy didn't get to steal the mac-designs (Like Apple did to xerox), we'd all be playing on Super-mac's with no errors or anything.... *sigh*
Testicular Pugilist
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

What a disappointment that was.
I thought it was going to be interesting, but it was about a bunch of nerds starting computer companies.
Where are the pirates!?
Mailbox Man!
Yar.
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

If gates didnt steal the design Mac would be in the Microsoft monopoly position and computer hardware would be about 5 years less advanced.

The only good thing about macs is the OS thats it, the rest of it as just an over priced "lifestyle" statement. If your a poof or an overt communist go for it, if your sensible just buy a flashy PC then buy another one 2 years later for the same price.

The main reason there is so little mac games development is because the games market for macs is tiny, they are as stated above are owned by proffesionals who will use their computer for graphics design and not games, or people who are "too mature" for games and instead they use their mac as a 4 grand tool to read emails.

Whilst we were talking about Nvidia and ATI fixing benchmark tests Mac fixed certain OS tests namely the Photoshop one.....

Silicon Graphics make the best graphics machines btw.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

Ok somebody tell me the truth. Don't tell me to go buy the latest ATI for 400 bucks. Does my 9100 xasctasy card that I got for $80 balance performance and price?
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

spyder07 wrote:Ok somebody tell me the truth. Don't tell me to go buy the latest ATI for 400 bucks. Does my 9100 xasctasy card that I got for $80 balance performance and price?
go to www.tomshardwareguide.com and see for yourself...

I doubt it's all that good though =(
You'll have to look around a bit for yourself dude!
Testicular Pugilist
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

That would be www.tomshardware.com.

As for the truth, fact is it's non other then John Carmack that explains the problem (without any slant, as opposed to NVidia which blames 3DMark).
John Carmack wrote:The significant issue that clouds current ATI / Nvidia comparisons is fragment shader precision. Nvidia can work at 12 bit integer, 16 bit float, and 32 bit float. ATI works only at 24 bit float. There isn't actually a mode where they can be exactly compared. DX9 and ARB_fragment_program assume 32 bit float operation, and ATI just converts everything to 24 bit. For just about any given set of operations, the Nvidia card operating at 16 bit float will be faster than the ATI, while the Nvidia operating at 32 bit float will be slower. When DOOM runs the NV30 specific fragment shader, it is faster than the ATI, while if they both run the ARB2 shader, the ATI is faster.
Spotted on bluesnews 2 days ago.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

Still didn't answer my question.
Red

Post by Red »

I stopped reading at the first sentence, don't know the answer to the second sentence :)
Hammer
Banned Bitch
Banned Bitch

Post by Hammer »

Mac is kinda stinky in my opinion, that and their commercials piss me off.
Red

Post by Red »

Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

xD Funny ^^

While we're talking about Apple-Switches:

PvP Switch-Over

Read from then to today to see the whole story. Hilarious.

Penny-Arcade - iPOD?
Testicular Pugilist
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

And so ATI attempts, but fails:

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030604/index.html

=(

Also, more newz on the NVidia "cheat" called 3DMurk...

http://tech-report.com/etc/2003q2/3dmurk03/index.x?pg=1

Decide for yourselves what this is about.
It's an interesting read though.
Testicular Pugilist
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

More newz!!

http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Artic ... PR&seq=204

It seems the new type of RAM, GDDR3, is going to be used for the future ATI and NVIDIA cards!

woohooo =D
Testicular Pugilist
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Ok, here's the deal:

A few days between replies doesn't mean a topic is dead. It's when you start getting bullshit flames it starts smelling like a rotting corpse. I'll leave this topic open for the rest of the day, and if it doesn't turn around consider it locked. I think that's fair.

Oh yeah, and I deleted most of the bullshit from today.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Well well, it seems I'm reviving it again, but I'm doing this instead of creating a new thread! Besides, I know a big bunch of you have ATI cards, so get!

It seems the new ATI drivers are out, with a lot of improvements:

Fixed in this driver:
The system is not responding when playing Quake II with the OpenGL option set to default, and the video mode set to 1024x768 is now resolved
Setting the display resolution to 1027x768 and running the Unreal Tournament 2003 benchmark with Anti-Aliasing enabled, no longer results in the system rebooting
The system rebooting when attempting to start a new game of Ballistic Forces is now resolved
Enabling Direct3D as the rendering device and setting the display resolution to 1600x1200 in the game Descent 3 no longer results in the game failing to play
The shadow flickering beneath the car when choosing Quick Race in Nascar Racing 2003 is now resolved
Setting the display resolution to 1024x768 32bpp and enabling OpenGL no longer results in the ground being discolored in the game IL2 Forgotten Battles
Connecting a secondary display and enabling extended desktop, followed by running Soldier of Fortune 2 no longer results in a flickering display
The game Unreal Tournament 2003 no longer hangs when loading the CTF-December level
The game Unreal Tournament 2003 no longer displays corruption when Anti-Alasing is enabled
Setting the display options to 1600x1200 32bpp in the Hot Wheels Velocity X game no longer results in the menu screen not being displayed
Display corruption is no longer noticed when playing the game Earth 2150 and the game resolution is set to 1024x768
Playing the game Nascar Racing 2003 in OpenGL mode no longer results in the display going black
Exiting the game Age of Empire II no longer results in display not being restored properly
Playing the game Serious Sam 2 with the display resolution set to 1024x768 32bpp no longer results in the wrong OpenGL renderer being listed when setting the graphics to OpenGL
The game A Tale in the Desert no longer pauses during game play and no longer causes the system to randomly stop responding
Enabling Pixel Shaders in the game Asheron's Call 2 no longer results in display corruption appearing as the game is played
Playing the game Project IGI2: Covert Strike with a RADEONâ„¢ 9700 series card installed in the system no longer results in the ground terrain disappearing and re-appearing as the character is moved.
The system no longer stops responding when running 3ds max 2001
The 3DMark2003 shader optimizations found in previous CATALYSTâ„¢ releases have been removed
Increased CPU performance is now noticed when enabling the use accelerated post processing in the DivX player
Running Maya or SoftImage no longer results in the overly front and backbuffers not being cleared at allocation time
Dragging the WinDVD player to the extended desktop when playing a DVD no longer results in a system hang
Running certain OpenGL application under Windows XP with a RADEONâ„¢ 7200 series card installed no longer results in display corruption
Running the Windows Movie Maker program no longer results in the display corruption appearing on the preview screen
Running the ATI Tranquility screen saver found at http://www.driverheaven.net, on an ATI RADEONâ„¢ 9000 series card, no longer results in the system not responding under Windows XP
When installing the EAZYLOOKâ„¢ TV upgrade the installer now upgrades the Watch TV scheduled event property in the registry correctly
Playing a DVD with TheaterMode enabled no longer results in the display not being maximized on the secondary LCD
Enabling or disabling the extended desktop when the Media player is running no longer results in the system not responding
Previewing the 3D Pipes screen saver with latest video driver installed no longer results in a slow start and exit of the screen saver
The monitor shutting down when booting to the Windows XP service pack 1 desktop when a RADEONâ„¢ 9000 Pro is installed in the system is now resolved
The display resolution is now correct on the first startup after the display driver install
Playing an AVI no longer results in a screen delay. This issue was known to occur under Windows 2000 with the RADEONâ„¢ 9600 series card installed
Enabling or disabling the extended desktop when the Media player is running no longer results in the system not responding
The OpenGL hardware overlay is now working correctly in panning mode
The memory size on the RADEONâ„¢ 9800 SE not being reported accurately is now resolved
Windows 2000 no longer detects the secondary CRT display adapter as the primary display adapter
The HDTV icon is no longer displayed when Disable Component Output Support is selected
The information tab found in the advanced display properties for the secondary monitor now provides information on the driver version installed
The Bios information is no longer listed incorrectly on the Adapter Information

Ah well, enough of the details, go get your drivers:

http://ati.com/support/driver.html
Testicular Pugilist
Our Host!