Boycott?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Would you help boycott Interplay?

Yes
37%
No
37%
Yes, ONLY if there is widespread support from the Fallout Community
26%

Total votes: 35

made_in_china03
SDF!
SDF!

Boycott?

Post by made_in_china03 »

For starter's, despite my registered date, I'm not a newb to Fallout. I used to post at the old BIS forums for about a year before they shut down and moved to Interplay. Since then I've just been roaming around checking out the news every now and then. With the announcement of BoS I just had to speak.

Has anyone here considered boycotting Interplay? I'm sure it's all crossed your minds at one point or another, but because of recent events I think it would be really beneficial to the gaming community.

Interplay has made it very clear though it's forums that they don't care about their fans. I understand that they have been suffering quite a bit in the past few years and that they need cash fast, but do we really want a great license in the hands of a desprate and dying company? If we all work together we can easily force Interplay to sell the license and maybe even Black Isle to another developer/publisher that has the resouces and recognizes the benefits of producing another true Fallout cRPG. An obvious choice for developer would be Troika, a company who is founded by and run by many of the same people who created the first Fallout and who made the hit RPG Arcanum. The point is not however who would get it, in my opinion the Fallout Liscense would be in better hands even at EA. The point is to get the license out of Interplay's hands.

It would be fairly simple to achieve this. Don't by ANY Interplay game. Interplay is in a weakened financial state and would easily crumble if we had an organized boycott. I'm don't have access to Interplay's financial records, but you could all probably assume that of the people who bought Fallout Tactics, 95% were fans of the original Fallout. If it is the same for the upcoming BoS and Lionheart, Interplay would defintly lose money. Anyone can see this, as long as we stay united they would have to give into to our demands. Don't get me wrong. I was always supportive of Interplay and Black Isle. I understand that it is a private enterprise and they are free to make they're own choices and ensure they survive. But as a consumer and gamer I cannot sit by and wait as a game that I love dies. As a matter of fact in my mind this both will actually save both companies from financial destruction (I'm sure the Fallout license will fetch a hetfy price for them).

Save Fallout. Boycott Interplay.

NOTE: There is to be no flaming or bashing in this topic. If you really want to help keep Fallout alive and this topic you'll refrain yourself.
M@de in China

"Man going sideways through air terminal is going to Bangkok"
KruddMan
Respected
Respected

Post by KruddMan »

i don't think anyone plans to buy FO:BOS but I might still look into to latest BIS games.... i don't want them to go under. They're still attatched to Interplay right?
Alias
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Alias »

KruddMan wrote:i don't think anyone plans to buy FO:BOS but I might still look into to latest BIS games.... i don't want them to go under. They're still attatched to Interplay right?
I plan on buying FO: BOS. Unless its reviews suck, then I'm not. It looks like it uses the same engine as Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, which was a pretty good hack-and-slash game. Sucks that it's not coming out for PC, but I have PS2 anyway.
made_in_china03
SDF!
SDF!

KruddMan wrote:i don't want them to go under. They're still attatched to Interplay right?
Yes they're still attached to Interplay. And I don't want them to go under either, but we must face facts, despite the hundreds of loyal fans out there they probably will die and might very well take the Fallout License with them. I'm looking into my number one interest, a Fallout 3 and maybe someday, god willing, a Fallout 4.
M@de in China

Zbyram
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Zbyram »

I'm boycotting Interplay already! Alias you're the first person I see here to say such a heresy... think about yourself. :cry: The only chance for Interplay to get any money from me is Lionheart because it seems pretty decent and has SPECIAL.
Last edited by Zbyram on Sat May 17, 2003 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Finally someone with balls...
Testicular Pugilist
Alias
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Alias »

Zbyram wrote:I'm boycotting Interplay already! Alias you're the first person I see here to say such a heresy here... think about yourself. :cry: The only chance for Interplay to get any money from me is Lionheart because it seems pretty decent and has SPECIAL.
Hey, I don't really care that BOS wasn't coming out for PC. I saw the preview on Interplay's site and got all giddy with excitement, but then saw that it wasn't for PC. Long as I can play it, I'm fine. Same thing happened with Starcraft: Ghost and Red Faction 2. But RF2 came out for PC already. I usually don't buy console games anyway, I rent them from the local video store, so they aren't getting my hard stolen cash.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Alias wrote:I plan on buying FO: BOS. Unless its reviews suck, then I'm not. It looks like it uses the same engine as Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, which was a pretty good hack-and-slash game. Sucks that it's not coming out for PC, but I have PS2 anyway.
http://www.geocities.com/ninjasinthetre ... eeding.txt

edited by Insane-Lark: Click the linky if you feel like taking the insult, be warned it is stupid. Any further img's like this will be url'd or immediately deleted.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I am the Queen of France!

Seriously, I think most of us have already boycotted / spammed IPLY and will continue to do so.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Sammael
Regular
Regular

Post by Sammael »

There is no reason to boycott IPLY if all you want is FO3.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

uh, what if you want someone else (TROIKA) to make FO3? They'd probably do a much better job, so for now I'll continue wholeheartedly to boycott Interplay.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Alias, get rid of that sig. As a rule of thumb, when your sig is twice as long as your posts, there's a problem.

And there's no point in boycotting IPLY. Their games are mostly horrible enough that most people don't buy them anyways. Besides, I want Lionheart.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
made_in_china03
SDF!
SDF!

can we get a mod to delete axelgrease's post. Alias is entitled to his own opinion and tring to smear his public image will not help any of us.
Zbyram wrote:I'm boycotting Interplay already! Alias you're the first person I see here to say such a heresy here... think about yourself. :cry: The only chance for Interplay to get any money from me is Lionheart because it seems pretty decent and has SPECIAL.
it's good to hear that there are others who think like me

Alias wrote: Hey, I don't really care that BOS wasn't coming out for PC. I saw the preview on Interplay's site and got all giddy with excitement, but then saw that it wasn't for PC. Long as I can play it, I'm fine. Same thing happened with Starcraft: Ghost and Red Faction 2. But RF2 came out for PC already. I usually don't buy console games anyway, I rent them from the local video store, so they aren't getting my hard stolen cash.
I understand what you're saying, as long as you can play it you're happy. You're selfish (don't take it as an insult as to some it isn't, like Ayn Ryn (sp*, the writer of Anthem all those anti communist books), but try and put yourself in our shoes. Let's say for the next Matrix Movie they will ONLY play it on the West Coast. Wouldn't you be the slightest pissed? Interplay will still get your money even though you're only buying it. After all if they don't sell it to you, they sold it to Blockbuster or wherever you rent you're games.

Edit: *nothing*
Last edited by made_in_china03 on Sat May 17, 2003 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M@de in China

Insane-Lark
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Insane-Lark »

Alias wrote:I plan on buying FO: BOS. Unless its reviews suck, then I'm not. It looks like it uses the same engine as Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, which was a pretty good hack-and-slash game. Sucks that it's not coming out for PC, but I have PS2 anyway.
I read those words & have to wince. Have you taken a look around at it's Official Site, read the FAQ on it or even looked around at any of the screenshots of this thing? Do you realize that while you are welcome to your own opinions, that posting such a statement on DaC is very much akin to flamebaiting?

*winces again & waits for someone to start throwing molotov cocktails at Alias*
Last edited by Insane-Lark on Sat May 17, 2003 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I think you could beat IPLAY up for lunch money and still come up short." -Interrupt
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

made_in_china03 wrote:can we get a mod to delete axelgrease's post. Alias is entitled to his own opinion and tring to smear his public image will not help any of us.
No. Especially with a sig like that.
MISTAR SNEAKY wrote:And I understand all of you're need to play Lionheart, but don't buy it from Interplay, "borrow" it from a friend if you catch my drift ;), I don't want to you to download it off the internet *wink* *wink*, afterall that would be wrong and illegal.
Are you implying that we should pirate software?
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

atoga wrote:uh, what if you want someone else (TROIKA) to make FO3? They'd probably do a much better job, so for now I'll continue wholeheartedly to boycott Interplay.
Totally futile. Boycotting IPLY won't bring about FO3. No matter what you do or don't do, IPLY will continue to squeeze money out of the liscence in a desperate attempt to maintain fiscal solvency. Inevitably, IPLY will also collapse. What will happen to FO at that point is anyone's guess. I would say that Troika will try to snatch up FO, but may be elbowed out of the way by some bigger company like Ubi Soft or Vivendi, the latter having already acquired one of IPLY's liscences, Hunter. Once some big publisher has got it, they may or may not offer it to Troika.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
made_in_china03
SDF!
SDF!

axelgreese wrote:
MISTAR SNEAKY wrote:And I understand all of you're need to play Lionheart, but don't buy it from Interplay, "borrow" it from a friend if you catch my drift ;), I don't want to you to download it off the internet *wink* *wink*, afterall that would be wrong and illegal.
Are you implying that we should pirate software?
It just depends, does this site have one of those policies where they take action when somone even discusses the idea of piracy?
Spazmo wrote:Totally futile. Boycotting IPLY won't bring about FO3. No matter what you do or don't do, IPLY will continue to squeeze money out of the liscence in a desperate attempt to maintain fiscal solvency. Inevitably, IPLY will also collapse. What will happen to FO at that point is anyone's guess. I would say that Troika will try to snatch up FO, but may be elbowed out of the way by some bigger company like Ubi Soft or Vivendi, the latter having already acquired one of IPLY's liscences, Hunter. Once some big publisher has got it, they may or may not offer it to Troika.
If we refuse to buy anymore games from them Fallout related included, what would be the purpose of them holding on to the license? To them it would only take away revenue from other games that could be a success such as Lionheart. They may be greedy, but they aren't dumb enough to deny simple logic.
Last edited by made_in_china03 on Sat May 17, 2003 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M@de in China

axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

made_in_china03 wrote:It just depends, does this site have one of those policies where they take action when somone even discusses the idea of piracy?
Well lets just say, many people here would be a might bit pissed off if your idiocy got Kreegle in trouble.
made_in_china03
SDF!
SDF!

axelgreese wrote:
made_in_china03 wrote:It just depends, does this site have one of those policies where they take action when somone even discusses the idea of piracy?
Well lets just say, many people here would be a might bit pissed off if your idiocy got Kreegle in trouble.
all right, consider it gone...
M@de in China

Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

I plan on buying FO: BOS. Unless its reviews suck, then I'm not. It looks like it uses the same engine as Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, which was a pretty good hack-and-slash game. Sucks that it's not coming out for PC, but I have PS2 anyway.
hey that sounds like a knowledgable person. hey alias i have a great used diaper you can buy. the reviews say its great and its almost as full of shit as FO:BOS.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Our Host!