Combat Taunts

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Combat Taunts

Post by OnTheBounce »

Okay, adding new combat taunts to the game is as easy typing in some properly formatted lines into the taunts.txt (located at locale\game, for those of you who don't know).

However, I've been wanting to do more than just simply add new lines/edit existing ones -- although the latter of those two was necessary to correct the scads and scads of typos in the core campaign's version -- I've been wanting to add new taunts for overlooked races/differentiate between some of the "Generic" taunt-using "races". Has anyone else figured out how to do this? I've been poking around in the various game files and can't find anything that controls which set of taunts a race does. My suspicion is that it is hard-coded, but I'm hoping someone has info that will prove me wrong.

I'd like to do this mainly so that we can clean up the hodge-podge of taunts used by the "Generic" taunt using races. It would be nice to be able to get raiders to use raider-esque taunts while BoS types use something more applicable to them.

Any help/greatly appreciated. You know the deal. ;)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE:

Post by PaladinHeart »

I had been wondering about taunts myself. I really wish I could just set up individual sets of taunts for characters in the game rather than them using the generic crap.

Have you considered a workaround? There could be some way of having characters switch to a dialogue set when combat is initiated. Is it possible to have all characters with tagname: raiderscum, for example, use a dialogue set when they become hostile towards the player?

I don't know how to do this accurately. And the game doesn't really cater to this possibility, since getting hurt and scoring a hit generate two totally different moods for the character's comeback lines.

I have several scenarios in mind, however, where just a set of six random quotes would work, regardless of whom is taking/dealing damage.
Our Host!