Duck and Cover Forum Index

Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Support DAC!
 Does skills improve with practice??? View next topic
View previous topic
Demis
SDF!
SDF!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 6:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi everyone

I've stumbled upon the Four Horsemen SE and thought i would try something else than try and kill them, so i brought with me every medic/paramedic/doctor/first aid kit and i decided to heal them (14000+HP and still on almost dead status) could earn tons of XP. I have noticed that after some serious healing the skills of my medic raised, but were in a blue colour so i though that it was because i had some healing bags equiped. But no the skill wasn't changed and it was still in the blue colour, i have noticed the same thing when i was trying constaly lockpicking a chest that the skill boosted as well. So does skills impove with practice or i'm doing something wrong here??
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 8:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmm.that's the first time I've hear fo this. Well done.
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 9:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think they don't increase permanently, but for a little time. At least none of my skills have not increased by practise, but I could be wrong.

Anyone knows this better?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 10:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's not a permanent increase, and it's not based on use. Sometimes the game gets confused when you have items like the Field Medic Kit or Paramedic's Bag in your inventory. While they are not supposed to add the bonus to your skill unless they are in one of your active item slots the game doesn't always do what it's supposed to.

The SPECIAL system does not allow for advancement of skills through use, but rather depends on Skill Points allocated by the player. This is not Wasteland, the godfather of the FO series.

OTB
TheReaper

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 10:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You can't EXACTLY raise skill with use, but my experience is that you are given EXP for 'honing your skills' that can build up to a level up where you can spend points on that skill. If the skills did increase with use, the weapon skills would go up REALLY quickly. Skill increase through use is more realistic but Fo cannot do it, very few things can. This is all because the RPGs that we see today are clinging to the D&D idea of levels advancing skills instead of use. Say you have been fighting extensively and have never use the first aid skill, all of a sudden you are far better at first aid for no reason. Makes no damn sense. The most rescent game that has incresed skills with use is Dugeon Siege.
Demis
SDF!
SDF!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 11:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for your replies guys. smile

I knew that skills don't raise with practice, so that's why i've asked. I just needed to clear this up.

@Reaper, Actually i was so bored with DS that i've started Fallout Tactics once again. icon_mrhappy
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 11:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TheReaper wrote:
This is all because the RPGs that we see today are clinging to the D&D idea of levels advancing skills instead of use. Say you have been fighting extensively and have never use the first aid skill, all of a sudden you are far better at first aid for no reason. Makes no damn sense.

Yes, requiring a skill to be used in order to improve it is more realistic. However, when using game systems like this you invite players to abuse the system. For instance, let's say you encounter a locked door 5 minutes into the game. A savy player will sit there and pick the lock, then lock it, pick it, lock it, pick it...Get the picture? An hour later he's an ungodly ability that should take an entire game to achieve. This was the case w/Wasteland. Many players would assign macros to function keys, tape down the key, then go and have dinner. When they got back their characters were ready for deification, at least in one area.

Also, FO is as "un-D&D" as you can get while still retaining a level-based advancement system, thanks to the allocation of SPs rather than a set advancement based on the character's level and class. I think that the current FO system is probably the best character system of any game I've ever played.

Cheers,

OTB
Nutter
Respected
Respected

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 8:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

try jagged alliance 2 if you want a game which improves skills by using them

loads of fun, just like FT, but more realistic
TheReaper

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 6:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nutter wrote:
loads of fun, just like FT, but more realistic

And a lot harder. smile
Demis
SDF!
SDF!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 3:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Update: It seems that after extensive use of some secondary skills (first aid/doctor/lockpicks) you get a temporary boost of your skill. The boost however fates out after a while ... tested a couple of times

BTW, i managed to heal one of the Horsemen up to 30 000+ HP but run out of healing bags. icon_mrhappy Might continue when I restock Laughing REALLY FUCKING HARD
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 3:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

How much do they have HP's?? I mean, 30k is a lot...what's it's status now? severely wounded? Wonder if Awareness tells the current/max HP's..
Umpa
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 4:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i know that the horseman have a really high max HP. i think quite a bit higher than 30K
Demis
SDF!
SDF!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 5:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, take a look smile

I wonder how much higher can it get?

Anyone knows any editor that gives unlimited number of items?
twiztid wanderer
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 8:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I don't think that there are any editors or trainers that will give you unlimited items there however is a mod that does some pretty wierd things. Such as one that will give you unlimited doctor bags in the left hand and an ungodly powerfull sniper rifle. Interesting mod to use its only fun for about the first 3 minutes of play and then you realise that its is too easy and give up. Except i don't rightly remember if you have to restart your game or not but itd be worth a try if you have the patience to deal with the mods for fot... I think you can get it off of DAC or off of one of the links here.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 9:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I checked the Horsemens' ENT files and they all have 100,000 HP. So it looks like you've got a ways to go. :wink:

OTB
Demis
SDF!
SDF!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 10:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OnTheBounce wrote:
I checked the Horsemens' ENT files and they all have 100,000 HP. So it looks like you've got a ways to go. :wink:

OTB

Hehe, piece of cake, i only need another 100+ healing bags to reach that :roll: Laughing REALLY FUCKING HARD

Jump to:  

View next topic
View previous topic