Awaken mod... now in English flavour!

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

no it installs to an /awaken/ folder in your FOT dir and places a tidy lil icon on your desktop.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Killzig wrote:no it installs to an /awaken/ folder in your FOT dir and places a tidy lil icon on your desktop.
might have to give it a try then...
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Anyone know what this is :

The procedure entry point_AIL_auto_update_3D_position@8 could not be located in the dynamic link library mss32.dll

...I can't launch FOT...therefore I can't play Awaken
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

sounds like you're not using the patched version of the game.

They included the patched .EXE in the mod (which BTW is a breach of the license agreement).

You'll need to patch the game to 1.27 first.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Hey thanks Red...yeah I noticed I hadn't patched after I posted.

Oh well, as for the game, I'm not sure what people are seeing that I'm not. I've done nothing so far in the game other than 'bump' into the overseer. No interaction with objects other than locked lockers.

::shrugs::

oh well

Good job otherwise guys. ( to the modders )

Cheers
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Hmmm...apparently I broke my install of Awaken with my lazy patching of FOT to 1.27 over everything...tee hee. I assumed that Awaken was in its own directory, protected from the FOT files, so the FOT patch would work just fine. I've been informed that there is stuff to do in the vault. ]

Lets try it again... :)

Cheers or..oh whatever...
peasofme
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by peasofme »

concerning the brc ladder, on ur map u will c a hollow square where it is. i have the same problem as the other guy, when i go down the brc, the junkers are speaking polish. ok, so i made it to new chicago and have to say, im enjoying this as much as fallout 1 and 2. i really hope u guys are making a sequel. this is a great game. ive been playing it all day. its even better than fot cause its more like an rpg, less like a squad based strategy game. this returns to the quirky fallout roots and less of that military bullshit thats in fot. even i didnt know if fo3 would work cause i was thinking it would be the same old hat. but i was wrong, its still a very enjoyable gaming experience. this is proally the closest thing we'll ever see to fo3. fot moved fallout towards real time crap and the console game coming out is just the next step in fallouts devolution.

ok, now for some complaints. sometimes it is too dark to see where anything is. in the beginning i couldnt get out of the vault cause the stairs were hidden. but look on the map for yellow and those are stairs. also in combat, i cant seem to pause the game or enter turn based combat mode when enemies are running towards me. so i cant get off the 1st shot from a distance like i want to.
peasofme
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by peasofme »

oh yea, i also wanted to comment on the balance in the game. it is just right. theres not too much ammo, weapons, etc like in other games. making the game challenging and fun. enemies are challenging and not pussies like in some other games, cough fot. all in all, its great.
Silver
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Silver »

I am really enjoying this mod guys, well done!

I have the same problem as Kruddman, I can't go down the stairs no more! And I know where the stairs are... :S. Help!

(Stairs at the labratory).
MacBeth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by MacBeth »

KruddMan wrote:hey i'm stuck how do i get down the ladder at the BRC?
I visited it once and i don't know how i got down there but I did but I left as soon as i entered then i went on to do other quests and now i can't figure out how to get down there.
and to the others with the same problem... well there's a FOT bug that doesn't "teleport" you to the lower level (altough the trigger is "preserved", but maybe nukeing the triggers will help, but you will still have to wait for a patch), so unfotunately now you will have to start the campaign from the begining (even after release of the patch you would have to because once you "stepped" into the map FOT remembers what the map was like), but for now, just play BRC is not the MOST important place in the game :) you still will be able to finish it
the junkers are speaking polish
thats why the secound patch was for it changed it into english (and some other polish texts left too for example one random encouter)

Red - well i didn't know that was a breach of the licence but maybe because we didn't pay to much attention to it (music, some sounds, cursors, loading screens, some pictures in the intro, items sprites would be also a "thievery" because it was ripped from F1/2). as long we live in the third world (joke) they cant do us anything ;)
- who's the one to BLAME!? -
- shin! shin! sei! kyuu! sai! -
- hail the mushroom cloud -

me not like my english ;)
Red

Post by Red »

Well, as you can see this causes other problems, most notably compatibility issues with the older FOT...

At least the other things you've included went through some work to convert them to other formats. The thing is that, as opposed to the graphics, sounds and whatnot, there's little point in includeing the EXE. My best guess at this point as that you needed it in the installer for the installer to be able to create a new shortcut to run awaken... I chekced wether they were binary the same and they were, so I really don't know what elese it could be :).

As a work of art (ie, new art, sound and maps) form there's indeed little "new" in it, and you can't deny that. But graphics and sounds usually hardly matter though it CAN make a game suck if badly implimented. It's the contents that's important, and from this thread it's doing great.
Maximous
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Excellent Mod

Post by Maximous »

This is a GREAT Mod. It made me laugh playing it...it seemed to be so much like FO1 and FO2. It isn't supposed to be anything more then a very large addition to FO1....and I think it works great. It is a LOT of FUN and beats playing FO1 and FO2 for the 100th time.

Great Job Awaken.

If this mod was just a bit more polished I'd pay money for it....to bad BIS didn't think of it.
MacBeth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by MacBeth »

Red wrote:Well, as you can see this causes other problems, most notably compatibility issues with the older FOT...
yes it does but the mod wouldn't work anyway if the game wasn't patched (at least i supposse so)
Red wrote:My best guess at this point as that you needed it in the installer for the installer to be able to create a new shortcut to run awaken...
your guess is correct :) that was the reason why we put the patched exe in

Red

Post by Red »

well, you could include the missing file mentioned in this very thread and it wouldn't freeze [mss32.dll]. Though you might need a few more... Basically move your FOT folder somwhere else, copy FOT.exe back into the original FOT installation path, reinstall the patch and you'll know every file the patch includes, if you really want to be sure.

Of course you only need the binaries... In a way it'd be a good thing to do that since then you're sure that the end user uses the patch when running your game and could eliminate bugs... However all the updated binaries (FOT, MSS, possibly blink and the miles directory) is about 3megs... Though with a ~250meg download (for the english version) 3 more megs probably won't scare you :P.

Technically I think the error's a good thing since it forces users to patch (the official way...) before they play the game I guess, though you'll need to include this in an FAQ somewhere.

Personally I updated MSS to version 6.1a, so I'd hate it if the patch updated it with an older (ie: same as the 1.27 FOT patch, I beleive it had version 6.0) version... Another reason NOT to include the patch in it...
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

damn, I think I'm gonna dig up my copy of FT and even install it cos this AWAKEN sounds cool
KruddMan
Respected
Respected

Post by KruddMan »

Hey, I'm trapped in the tribal village 'cause my brahmin is too big to get out D:
MacBeth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by MacBeth »

KruddMan wrote:Hey, I'm trapped in the tribal village 'cause my brahmin is too big to get out D:
yhm, oh, i think killing the lovely brahmin is the only way to get out of the village :/

another patch has been released.
fix list for 1.32 english:
- BRC - english txt, disappears from world map, re-enter bug
- Oasis - radscopions quest, highwaymen attacks - good solution added
- Raiders Camp - Winston quest, Hangman quest (now they should work properly)
- Laboratory - another way to enter
- and some other small changes

grabb it from the webpage

edit: the english patch had accidently polish locale, but now it's fixed and a correct version was uploaded, so if anyone had downloaded it earlier will have to do it again (and it's again my fault)

Prunk
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Prunk »

I’ve been playing Awaken for about 3 hours now, and I must say that my first impressions are very good indeed.

To start with, I played CTB as this was how I completed FOT. Very quickly I realised that good old fashioned Turn-Based was the way to go – this alone made me feel as if I was playing a “real� Fallout game!

I think that the modders have done a very good job of implementing a quest system with the limited tools available to them.

The game balance is just right, at the moment I am struggling to manage my inventory and am scrabbling around for every handful of bullets. There’s a real feeling of scarcity.

I have only two complaints, and these are both very minor things. Firstly, some of the English is a little “stilted�. Now, don’t get me wrong – the makers’ command of English is better than my command of Polish, but the feel of the game would have been helped a little with some proof reading from a natural English speaker. Secondly, some of the maps are a little basic. Let me reiterate, these are minor points!

On the whole, an excellent mod that shows what can be done with a bit of dedication and ingenuity … I think we must look to the modding community to keep the Fallout games alive as it is clear that Interplay have no intention of catering to their existing fanbase.

While I’m here, can I just say that I really enjoy FOT! I see a lot of people slagging it off as not being a true Fallout game … it’s fair to say that it is not an RPG in the style of the first two games but as a tactical game it works extremely well. I also think that it successfully captures the feel of the Fallout universe. It’s different, but that doesn’t make it bad, IMHO.

And on another note, I have played a few excellent FOT single player maps. Granted, there are a few stinkers out there but some of the maps have been thoroughly enjoyable. So keep it up, all you modders and mappers, your efforts are appreciated.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

MacBeth wrote:... well there's a FOT bug that doesn't "teleport" you to the lower level (altough the trigger is "preserved", but maybe nukeing the triggers will help, but you will still have to wait for a patch), so unfotunately now you will have to start the campaign from the begining (even after release of the patch you would have to because once you "stepped" into the map FOT remembers what the map was like), but for now, just play BRC is not the MOST important place in the game :) you still will be able to finish it
Dzien dobry, MacB! (My entire Polish vocab exhausted in one fell swoop ;))

Superb effort, this Awaken mod, from what I've seen of it so far. I'm having problems at the BRC, though. The teleport trigger has actually worked here and I'm inside the base, just before the turrets, without wanting to spoil the story line or anything for others any more. Thing is, I want to leave the area, 'cause I don't have the gear I want to go into the base proper. However, the ladder that would take me out of the earth-walled part of the base is inaccessable. Is that a problem or is it supposed to be like that and I need to think my way out of it? ;)
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Stevie D wrote:
MacBeth wrote:... well there's a FOT bug that doesn't "teleport" you to the lower level (altough the trigger is "preserved", but maybe nukeing the triggers will help, but you will still have to wait for a patch), so unfotunately now you will have to start the campaign from the begining (even after release of the patch you would have to because once you "stepped" into the map FOT remembers what the map was like), but for now, just play BRC is not the MOST important place in the game :) you still will be able to finish it
Dzien dobry, MacB! (My entire Polish vocab exhausted in one fell swoop ;))

Superb effort, this Awaken mod, from what I've seen of it so far. I'm having problems at the BRC, though. The teleport trigger has actually worked here and I'm inside the base, just before the turrets, without wanting to spoil the story line or anything for others any more. Thing is, I want to leave the area, 'cause I don't have the gear I want to go into the base proper. However, the ladder that would take me out of the earth-walled part of the base is inaccessable. Is that a problem or is it supposed to be like that and I need to think my way out of it? ;)
*****WARNING---SLIGHT SPOILERS---READ IF HAVING TROUBLE WITH BRC/ANTSY ABOUT GOING FULL STEAM INTO IT***************

Pretty sure you won't be able to go back out til you've resolved it. Here's what you should do, don't worry about being ill equipped. Go in with your ENTIRE SQUAD, leave no one behind or the green exit grid will not appear when you complete the mission (i have no idea why this is) ... work your way in and you'll only find 1 robot to deal with he's in the center room and you can take him out from that window on the south wall. (Easy in TB) once you've got him tagged you can make your way down the center stair case and go into the next area. It's full of rooms. Explore at will and pick up the random goodies pick up the holodiscs and read them. Enter the next chamber and you'll find a squad of space marines, MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT ON AGGRESSIVE OR YOU WILL HIT YOURSELF OR THE MARINES. The Marines are uber soldiers and take out the nasties inside quite easily. When you get to the far end of the room, try to switch to CTB and lead the nasties out towards the marines, then walk back into the room and close to the terminal so you can complete the area. Then after that you'll be able to leave ... though I don't think you'll ever be able to return -- haven't tried that yet.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Our Host!