worldmap masks? how do i open them?

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

worldmap masks? how do i open them?

Post by ColJack »

as the title says, how do i open the world map masks, paintshop pro 5 won't open them.. i suppose i've gotta convert them first..?

also, how do i make my own worldmap masks.. i've got my worldmap sorted out, but i need to mask off the water.....

here is a link to my very rushed website i just nailed together for our team.. it will get better i promise...

http://www.coljack.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fallout/
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Just insert the header of a 350x300 monochrome bitmap at the start of the file and you can edit it like any bitmap (with paintbrush, photoshop, whatever). Just remember to flip it vertically, save it as a monocrome bitmap, and remove the header before you use it.
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Here is a small utility that should convert between MSK and BMP files. Just use pak <FileToCovert> . It should automatically determine which way to convert for you (based on first letter of the file's extension). (Or if you prefer, you can just drag the file to convert onto the app's icon and it should do it for you.)

You still have to remember to do the vertical flipping yourself, but this should stop you from having to insert and remove the header yourself.
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

i'm sure i had a program to convert them to bmp's and back again ages ago.. but that was 3 pc's ago, and several re-installs of windows.. ( funily enough, fallout 1 and 2 seem to be the first games i re- install after a wipe.. closely followed by counterstrike.. )

i still have rix2bmp.. frm2bmp.. acm2wav.. spr2gif.. zar&til2gif.. and radtools for watching the movies..
Jargo
Respected
Respected

Post by Jargo »

Biiig thanx Temaperacl :)))
I was working on mask files for some time with no succces.
Our Host!