compatabilty problems I forsee.

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

compatabilty problems I forsee.

Post by ColJack »

you ask in the sticky what compatability problems there will be with user maps/towns beimg used together?
well for one they will need to have a unique name..
2 each town/map will need to have an entry in the the city.txt file (which details its position on the world map, and whether or not it's visible and what size it's circle is) , and i'm not sure but probably also the maps/txt file..
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: compatabilty problems I forsee. ( can't post to the stic

Post by Stevie D »

ColJack wrote:you ask in the sticky what compatability problems there will be with user maps/towns beimg used together?
well for one they will need to have a unique name..
2 each town/map will need to have an entry in the the city.txt file (which details its position on the world map, and whether or not it's visible and what size it's circle is) , and i'm not sure but probably also the maps/txt file..
Thanks. :) The sticky has been deliberately left closed so that it isn't spammed by some of DaC's more feeble-minded posters. ;)

I'll be doing some updates to them soon, but I need to spend some time getting to grips with the editor and catching up with all the threads so far...
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

I can't find that city.txt file. Is there a part of the main game's files I need to unpack?
Zeronet
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Zeronet »

The CITY.TXT is in the master.dat file under data.
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

looks like another issue will be with the elevators.. they appear to be hard coded..
so towns with a specific index number are destinations for elevator types. ( see thread "Elevators sussed.. ")
so any map with an elevator either needs to be named as an existing map that is an elevator destination, or needs to be edited into the maps.txt file for the index number coresponding to that map. ( ie replacing klatoxcv.map with yourmap.map as map number 012. )

we are still looking into whether the elevators are set in a file somewhere, but we haven't found it yet.
TryKos
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Compatibility Issues

Post by TryKos »

Funny enough, but Im started such thread only 3 days ago on russian TeamX forum.

It seems, that without _global_ coordination and close cooperation of Fallout modmakers any attempts to run 2 and more mods together are absolutely futile.
Very small MOD's, for example - one adds new weapon, and another - repaint car, can exist together. But this is trivial case, and not interest us.
Any "serious" mods which adds cities (as you already mentioned), quests, items and critters will be incompatible at all. Reason lies in Fallout engine - all pro-files, frm-files, global variables and scripts are indexed in .lst files and has own numbers. New elements just adds to end of lists. Now, think about, for example, two weapon mods. First adds new pro-file for "Mega-blaster" with number 000160, and second adds new shotgun with double damage but it number will be too 000160, because last profile in original Fallout has number 000159 (for example). And such crap with all game objects.

There is solution, but it will take many of cooperation and good will from modmakers. Someone must create online base of all *.lst, *.msg and other "list" files, and MOD makers should register specific game resources for theirs MODs. For example, one mod maker register 10 Global Variables, weapon profiles from 000160 to 000164, then other can register 000165 - 000170 and so on. This solution looks like Utopia, but... there is no other way.

TeamX already released some internal lst files for this means, but, naturally, they make their own MOD, so 2/3 of resourses in this lists are reserved by them. You can mail them (www.teamx.ru), if you want your mod will be compatible with their.
In this world there are two kinds of people, my friend...those with Power of Moon Prism, and those who dig. You dig.
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

It would probably be better to put in a readme in your mod which numbers you used, so that it can be compared to other mods and someone I'm sure will come up and write an FAQ on how to fix them.
TryKos
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by TryKos »

It kinda hard way. Easy from modder, yeah, but incredible hard to crazy man, which must a) love your mod with all his heart b) love some other mod too c) be very knowledgeable d) has enough time to decompile whole both of MOD's, understand how they works and glue them together, which in fact means that he makes them from scratch (almost that). And readme file wont help there. You know many such people?

All resourses distribution must be done BEFORE real mod creation.
In this world there are two kinds of people, my friend...those with Power of Moon Prism, and those who dig. You dig.
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

I know it would technically be easier... in a perfect world. But how many modders know exactly how many weapons and such they'll want to include at the start of a project? And what about all the mods that start and are abandoned?

Maybe the best way would be a submission to a site based subscription, so like DAC has a big list, and when someone submits it they note which ones they used, and modify it so that they don't use duplicate... nevemind, thats what you're suggesting I suppose.
TryKos
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by TryKos »

Yeah, I mean something like that.

Resources can be distributed by small parts - say, about 5 global variables, 10 scripts, 10 PRO-s at one time. When modder used these, he should request next part. Its similar to memory management in OS 8)
And "system" (keeper of the list) must regularly check "tasks" (mod project) are they alive or not. If not - their resources are redistributed to global poll.

Its boring task, I know. And it will newer be done, I think 8((
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

I wouldn't nesscessarily call it a boring task. And it would probably work better if we had a pinned topic, and whoever wanted to use resources would post a request and look at an included list.

It could work, BUT, it would be volunteer only... so...
Our Host!