Requests/Questions/Stuff

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
GrimJim
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

thanks Section8

Post by GrimJim »

Which is the correct answer, 1(15x1.2)=18 or 5(15x1.2)=90?

THanks for the other answers...
GrimJim,
NOT to be mistaken with "The Brothers Grimm"
"What's so funny about a Floating TankTurret?"
"Please don't make me hurt you"
"So you don't want to barter ah, that's ok, I'll just kill you then take it off your dead body =)"
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

BurstShots((DamagexDamageMultiplier - DamageThreshold)x(1 - DamageResistance))
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
Ed the Monkey
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Ed the Monkey »

can you tell us the meanings of the attributes applied to the tiles (as in Red!Viewer)?
Just one monkey in a room of infinite monkeys, typing on infinite computers, now taking an infinite coffee break.......
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

Type:

Wall
Floor
Object
Stair
Roof

All fairly self explanatory, and it's best to get them right, as I'm pretty sure the pathfinding code checks this

Material:

Stone
Gravel
Metal
Wood
Water
Snow

Once again, fairly straight forward. I think these only govern the footstep noise that is played, and the dust clouds the vehicles kick up. There might be some code in the scurry bots' AI that doesn't allow them to burrow through stone, but I'm not quite sure.

Boolean Flags:

Ethereal - Tile is drawn, but has no collisions. Used for things like grass tufts, plants and anything you don't want blocking shots/players/vehicles/etc.

Cover - Provides a -40% (IIRC) penalty to shots taken at a character deemed to be utilising the cover. I think the entity has to be within 1 floor tile of the cover, but I'm not quite sure.

Window - Allows line of sight and attacks through a wall. It may also provide cover bonuses/penalties. I think that the tile bounding box is halved, so that the bottom half still behaves as a wall.

Trellis - Like window, but intended for grills, railings, fences, etc. Collides with entities, allows line of sight and attacks. May provide some cover

No Alpha - For .ZARs with transparencies, this disables transparency.

Climbable - Applied to ladders and stairs. Self explanatory

Invisible - Tile is not rendered. Ethereal may still need to be tagged to prevent collisions

No Shadow - Tile doesn't generate a shadow. Usually applied to tiles in the level editor to tidy up "dirty" shadows, generally on sloped tiles.

Additionally, there are "Exit" and "No Popping" flags that can only be applied in the level editor.
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Hey Section8, could you find out why it happens and/or a possible workaround for the "user-made speech file bug"?

Here's the thing: People who have FOT installed on a drive other than C: can't get the speech file for a user-made mission to work without having to assign it themselves. Most people don't know how to and/or don't post asking how (see the "Please, Rebellion Help" thread in this forum for some extra info), so those people probably thing they're doing something wrong when they install the mission when they're not.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Btw, Section8, what about that Reaver graphic? Could you come up with something? I don't remember resolving this one. Was there a fixed sprite after all?
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

What's wrong with it? Can Red!Viewer handle it?
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Hmm, not sure if anyone else could get a fully functional Pipboy, but the one I had was never able to crouch or go prone although the sprite has the animations.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

To Red:

We talked we Section8 about it a long time ago. I think this was about when a Reaver uses a rocket Launcher it doesn't display it properly. One of the reasons we started this thread.

To JJ86:

I think this has to do with the VD's that equally have the animations but lack the ability to change stance. Weird ha!
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

VD's??? Venereal Diseases?
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

8) 8O

VD: Vlad the Dragon :D
Actually, no it stands for the Vault Dweller. I think for some strange reason and since the uniforms are matching, they grouped them and forgot to link the animations in both...
Red

Post by Red »

For the PipBoy, the reason he can't crouch/prone is because he has no crouch/prone animations (as can be seen in Red!Viewer).

I never saw the reaver, so I don't know...
Last edited by Red on Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yes, Pipboy has all of the animations. I just checked in Redviewer and he works - just not in the game.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Check also the Vault 0 Citizen. Although as I recall you know that. I guess you probably want Section8 confirmation.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I think it may be as simple as an incorrect entity type which doesn't recognize the correct locations of the animations.
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

It's probably something to do with the race. Pipboy would be a Unique Humanoid (If someone wanted to test and see if this is indeed the case, you could change the race of an existing, working sprite with full anims to Unique Humanoid and see if that limits crouch/prone) and the Vault Citizen I don't seem to remember having a full animation set. If it does, it was never intended to use them all, but it does mean that you could possibly use it in place of the normal base character sprite. (ie rename VaultMale.spr to TribalMale.spr - I don't think reassigning the sprite in the entity editor would help as I believe it is all hard-coded according to race)

As for the Huge Reaver, it slipped my mind. If I don't post anything about it in the next couple of days, PM me.

And the speech file issue sounds a little strange. All of our stuff was done across various different drive mappings, and never had any problems. Not to say that the release doesn't have the problem, but it doesn't sound easy to trace or fix without code revision.
--
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Section8 wrote:but it doesn't sound easy to trace or fix without code revision.
In other words, a patch would be needed... and we all know how likely it is for that to happen...
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

Ok, my knowlegde is expanding. I know am capable of designing a partly functional map, tiles are no longer the critical point.

My question in short is: What does it take, after having opened a brand newmap, to be able to add fully functional entities.

Right now i dont seem to be able to add any as they fail to display on the map after left-clicking.

Ok, its clear my brain needs sleep.
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Assuming you already have the entities and sprites unzipped, the next thing is to make sure that you have some floor tiles down. If you place them at level 0 then go up to level 1 and place your entity. It should be visible. The entity must always be placed on a tile and won't appear if it isn't.

Try opening up one of the mission maps to see if everything shows up alright there.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

One for Section8:

It's been a long time that I was tinkering with ImpactFx, explosions, beams and such(with very good results). In several occasions, I select a color but when I import it to the file, it seeme "impure"(e.g. I have plain green but I see green with a black outline) Why does this happen? Any way to avoid it?
Our Host!