Non Standard Fallout 3 ideas

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
m_steerpike
SDF!
SDF!

Non Standard Fallout 3 ideas

Post by m_steerpike »

First off, I didn't read the old forums to find out if anyone has suggested this yet. If so, oh well.

SPECIAL.

I just plain dont like it. SPECIAL that is. I know I used to, and I thought 'wow, thats the way to do things', and then I played Jagged Alliance 2. And since then SPECIAL just doesn't make sense for combat.

Dont get me wrong. Perks and skills are what make the game. Gotta have lotsa skills, and we gotta find a way to keep perks with the good ol pipboy. But hit points and turn points are just not right for combat.

For those of you who havent tried ja2, envision this: every character in the game has hit points, but they never exceed 100, and usually dont get that high anyway. When your shot, you lifebar turns from all red (healthy) to red with a yellow top. The yellow is a wound of x hit points. If you dont bandage it, you bleed and the yellow increases. bandaging is not healing. Band-aids keep your blood in, and a doctor heals you later. With each wound your combat effectivness goes down. You cant aim as much or as well. The system is turn based, but with line of sight, sound and effective interrupts. The turn points are an exceedingly complicated dance taking into account that each turn is 5 seconds of real time, the firing rate of your weopon, and your agility. That pistol doesn't take 4 aps for everyone.

Thats what fallout 3 needs. Period. Why do we like fallout over d&d?Because, while fo is not real, it has the veneer of REALISM. What is more realistic, SPECIAL or what I described above? What could add more to the post-apocalyptic, run-down, dirty, dusty, bloody environment than actual wounds?

Well, I'll wait and see what everyone has to say.
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

Fallout isn't just about combat and your idea sounds better suited for an all combat game like FOT. And I like SPECIAL and it works for a game like Fallout in which you can talk people out of fighting rather than just killing everything.
m_steerpike
SDF!
SDF!

Fallout not about combat

Post by m_steerpike »

Good point, fallout shouldnt be about the combat. But its there, and by the fourth generation of the series we should do it right. It would open up new areas of the story to have wounds, crippling injuries (make a head, groin shot for a REASON, not just damage).

Just my two cents I guess. As a final note, had FOT used the ja2 system, it would have been much more enjoyable. I harp on this because its been done and can be done again.
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Re: Fallout not about combat

Post by Rat Keeng »

m_steerpike wrote:It would open up new areas of the story to have wounds, crippling injuries (make a head, groin shot for a REASON, not just damage).
You CAN get crippling injuries, you should know that, and there is actually a reason for shooting people in the head/groin.

I don't see the need for wounds/bandages. Sure it's more realistic to have actual wounds, it's also more realistic to die instantly from a head-shot, let alone an eye-shot. And talk about realistic, the pain from a bullet wound on any part of the body would be severely crippling, and it's hard to stop a bleeding wound in your stomach.

Besides, IMO combat is one of the most boring parts of Fallout.
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

Pumping information out of some dumb guard was a hell of a lot more exciting than killing him/her/it.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Agreed! Combat did bring some hack & slash - fans when FO1 was published already, even more when FO2 came out and millions of them when Fo:T became the tactic-combat multiplayer classic.

This proves the fact, that FO had way too much combat... even though you COULD run away/stop fighting if you weren't interested.

But: more quests, more dialogue, more in-depth sceaming! We want Planescape 2--- I mean FO3!!!
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

Personally, I liked combat and the fact that you can choose to fight or talk is what I love about the game- no matter what kind of Character I'm playing, I can always do most of the quests in one way or another...
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

but then again, you could just use one gun throughout the game, therefore ceasing the point in using miniguns and plasma rifle unless you were against tanks or something.

mabye you can get however many hp you want wich is standard

then you have a vital bar wich is:
Blood-if you get shot it slowly goes down, different guns do different damage. Also this can change with chems and you may need a blood donor

Shock/Stress-as you go along more and more stuff might scare you, like if you find a wardrobe full of rotten corpses. This is altered with endurance

Also you can get broken bones, and differnet skin conditions [from radiation poisening to mabye a small rash from a sting] Also mabye wounds [liek if you get shot point blank in the chest with a shogun you have to patch up quickly unlss you want your organs to spill on the floor.
:chew:
Knight
Respected
Respected

Post by Knight »

Yeah...what about large gashes, scars, and burns? Gashes and scars from mellee weapons and burn from fire or laser weapons...

Anyway, can't the people behind FO3 set it in some location besides America...I am really getting tired of super mutants! :twisted:
"The new world is a dangerous place." - Knight
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

I agree with all those who said that Fallout isn't a combat game. SPECIAL wasn't designed for just combat, I think Fallout Tactics demonstrated that well. The problem with Fallout Tactics was that it was one dimensional, and only the combat skills really mattered. There is more to tactics than just making the enemy dead. Unfortunately, they left anything like that out of Fallout Tactics. They either should have used more of the character system or used a different one. Then again, using a different character system would have made it less Fallout than it already was.

However, the best part about SPECIAL is what I've already said, it isn't just about combat. Look at the AD*D character system and rules. Open up a player's handbook or dungeon master's guide sometime, you'll notice that for an RPG, there's precious little rules covering things other than combat. There's never been an AD&D CRPG where their wasn't a focus on combat for that very reason.

That's why Fallout was a much better CRPG than those.
------------------
Our Host!