Where are the floaters and centaurs?

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Where are the floaters and centaurs?

Post by Spazmo »

The super mutant missions in FOT are some of the best, mostly because super mutants are cool, even the FOT version. But in those missions, we only get to see the mutants themselves. The question arises, where are the traditional partners of super mutant armies, the cobbled-together monsters that we all know and love, floaters and centaurs? I can't help but wonder why they weren't included, since a few tough melee enemies would have helped to keep the PCs away from the ranged gun-toting super mutants a little longer. Maybe one of the devs could enlighten us (I'm looking at you, Gareth)?
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

I'm thinking something along the lines as: They screwed most everything else so what the hell is one more thing?
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Either they all stayed behind/travelled to northern California or those that followed the SM's east got eaten along the way, after all it's a long hike even for a Super Mutant and I'm sure that they got peckish now and again. : )
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Gecko
Respected
Respected

Post by Gecko »

I think 14 degrees forgot to put these in to the game.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:Either they all stayed behind/travelled to northern California or those that followed the SM's east got eaten along the way, after all it's a long hike even for a Super Mutant and I'm sure that they got peckish now and again. : )
My guess is that Floaters probably taste like squid, but centaurs probably are more like a mixture of clams and steak.
MurPHy
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MurPHy »

My guess is that Floaters probably taste like squid, but centaurs probably are more like a mixture of clams and steak.
Mmm Steak!

The TRUE reason is that the programmers for FOT are widely known for their exteme laziness, hence plenty o' mutants but no floaters 'n centaurs.
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

I have no idea why they weren't in there. Economising on sprite space I guess, but they would have made a welcome tactical change from everything else in the game that seems to be a humanoid with a gun.
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

:cry:
well the Master created floaters and centaurs, but why they haven't wandered east is beyond me. perhaps the warm weather wasn't to their liking, or maybe it was just another one of Microforte's fuckups. I liked the supamutie missions too, but the muties looked kinda dumb and weren't as menacing as the F1/F2 versions (especially when they were in purple).
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

I remember reading C. Taylor's response to a question regarding these Critters early in FoT's development. He basically stated that since the Master had created them, and he was no longer around there would be no Floaters or Centaurs in FoT. That doesn't make sense, I'd say, since there were still remnants of the Master's Army floating around in FO2, which means that 40 years after FoT there were Floaters and Centaurs still roaming the Wastes.
Section8 wrote:Economising on sprite space I guess, but they would have made a welcome tactical change from everything else in the game that seems to be a humanoid with a gun.
I would have voted for chucking the Komodo and Wasp if that was the case. (That, even though I think the Wasp is a welcome addition to the FO beastiary.)

I agree about the welcome tactical change. That and it would have been an excuse to use Radiation and/or Poison as Special Damage for their attacks. (Or was it only Aliens and Golden Geckos that irradiated w/their attacks in FO2?)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

I would have thrown Komodos and Rats myself. I never came up against either in all the time I spent playing it.
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Section8 wrote:I would have thrown Komodos and Rats myself. I never came up against either in all the time I spent playing it.
I would have kept the Rats, but have made them more like FO.

I think I ran into Rats once in a Random Encounter, then there's the half-dozen or so in Junction City. Komodos I've only run into once or twice. You're right that seems like a waste of disc space. :lol:

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Actually I run into Komodos quite a bit, but they still were uninteresting and offered little variety. I would have to agree with OTB saying keeping the rats, changing their appearence. also I would add the very small type of "normal" rats. I kinda missed them the most and would be great for the modding community... :(

Cheers Flamescreen
sabin-x
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sabin-x »

maybe im wrong, but out of the super-muties, centaurs, and floaters... werent the mutants the only intelligent beings (if you wanna call them that)? that would mean the super mutants were the only one with enough conviction to flee, and enough brains to know that by staying they'd die.

i could be wrong, of course.
wh0red,
-essex
DOOM Marine
SDF!
SDF!

Post by DOOM Marine »

I don't know about you guys, but I never liked the centaurs or floaters. I'm glad they're gone! Floaters are just annyoying! I had 123 hp after i fought one, i was poisned by it, then the next day i died. (I saved after i was poisned...oops!) About the centaurs, just dont like 'em. I'm happy just fighting mutants. :)
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

OnTheBounce wrote:(Or was it only Aliens and Golden Geckos that irradiated w/their attacks in FO2?)

OTB
As far as I can remember, Centaurs, Aliens and Floaters caused poison and radiation. Although I found a Floater was more likly to poison/irradiate then an alien (could be luck, or it could be written code, etc. no idea). I've never heard of a gecko of anykind causing poison or irradiation.
DOOM Marine
SDF!
SDF!

Post by DOOM Marine »

If mutants are humans who were exposed to the FEV virus, what ARE floaters and centaurs???????
"Ain't got time to bleed!"- Jesse Ventura in Predator
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Floaters are made of snakes and worms and stuff. Centaurs are made from a mash of humans and dogs.

I think.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Vault Dweller
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Vault Dweller »

Aren't there TOO MUCH muties in FOT? They went to the east, but there was not much of'em, so how the hell could that STERILE guys create such a big army?

Heh I like centaurs and wanamingos but yeah, I hate floaters. Can't hit'em seriously in the ganglion with YK42B :D so I use Bozar or M72.
SHAMO Fallout Community: http://shamo.gry-online.pl
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Dipping? I think that's how the muties were created in the first place.
Crackzilla
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Crackzilla »

and another thing, why do the muties in FoT say "i'm gonna dip you" dispite the destruction of the vats?
March 5, 2052 the United States has officially declared war...
Our Host!