Fallout3: do's and dont's

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.

Do you agree?

Yes, i'm a true fallout'er.
96%
No, i'm a "baldurs gate"-playing idiot.
4%

Total votes: 25

BullDozer
SDF!
SDF!

Fallout3: do's and dont's

Post by BullDozer »

Do's:

Keep the style. Keep SPECIAL. Keep Perks/traits/skills. Keep the Post-Nuclear theme. Keep the NPC-system. Keep the current dialog. Keep the isometric perspective. Keep the current combat system. Keep the humor.

Dont's:

No psionic. No magic. No super-weapons. Not total controlled of NPC's. NO BALDURS GATE! No dungeons. No dragons. No medievel stuff. No Diablo2. No timetravel. No firstperson-view. No JohnWoo. No realtime-combat.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?
--
"The unity will bring about the master race, one able to survive, or even THRIVE in the wasteland. We need one race, one gold, one people to move forward to our destiny."
BullDozer
SDF!
SDF!

Post by BullDozer »

Yeah, and no vehicles.
--
"The unity will bring about the master race, one able to survive, or even THRIVE in the wasteland. We need one race, one gold, one people to move forward to our destiny."
Follower
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Follower »

What?! I am fallouter?! Damned, I knew that smt became wrong after the 20th time I finished the master...
World of FO is coming... too fast for my liking
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Re: Fallout3: do's and dont's

Post by Ganymedes »

Keep the style.
I agree... Anything else would be a crime!
Keep SPECIAL
Fallout was SPECIAL, Fallout is SPECIAL and Fallout will always be SPECIAL...
Keep Perks/traits/skills
Give me my Gecko Skinning, dammit! :)
Keep the Post-Nuclear theme
What in the bloody, Bloody, BLOODY hell would Fallout be without Post-Apoc setting???
Keep the NPC-system
Agreed.
Keep the current dialog
Dialogue trees; Yes, yes, YES! However, IF(and only if) they'd hired good actors and actresses to record all of the dialogue,(The chosen one/vault dweller/whatever should be mute, though...) I wouldn't have objected, as long as the voiceovers didn't lower the quality of the rest of the game...
Keep the isometric perspective
I disagree. I beleive you can make good RPGs in 3D, and i beleive you wouldn't have to see everything from a birds point of view... Just don't make it a friggin' FPS!!! :roll:
Keep the current combat system
Agreed. And, I beleive that the current combat system would work just as well in 3D
Keep the humor
Absolutely... But BIS, please don't take that as token that we want 1000000 pop-culture refs. though... ;)
No psionic. No magic. No super-weapons. Not total controlled of NPC's. NO BALDURS GATE! No dungeons. No dragons
Halleluja!
No medievel stuff
Right, but simple weapons like small rusty swords, knives and axes still should exist...
No Diablo2. No timetravel. No firstperson-view. No JohnWoo. No realtime-combat.
Agreed once again...
Yeah, and no vehicles
A rusty old higwayman is not unfalloutish... But no tanks with double plasmaminigaussguns, though...
Fallout Forever!
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Agreed. I really am a fallout'er ;)
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

I want a first person view, a rocket ship, a gun that fires 12 rockets at the same time, and just a staight hack n slash like Baldurs Gate. :roll:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

..... but I guess you aren't :wink:
Mesc A. Lyn
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mesc A. Lyn »

my money'll be on the supermutant w/ the minigun all day/everyday. ( :twisted: I freak'n hate elves :twisted: )
"The values of the weak prevail because the strong have taken them over as devices of leadership"

-Nietzche-
Knight
Respected
Respected

Post by Knight »

BullDozer wrote:Yeah, and no vehicles.
Are you bullsh***** me? No VEHICLES! :mad:
"The new world is a dangerous place." - Knight
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

Knight wrote:
BullDozer wrote:Yeah, and no vehicles.
Are you bullsh***** me? No VEHICLES! :mad:
That's right, NO VEHICLES!!!

NO!

NO VEHICLES!

NONE!

ZERO VEHICLES!
Slider
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Slider »

I want a brahmin pulled cart dammit :evil:

Although maybe one heaping piece of junk that can roll around on fusion power would be alright.
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

Brahmin pulled carts, good.

Car, okay.

Tanks, Jeeps, Choppers, Motorcycles, Armored Trucks, Vertibirds, BAD!
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Ganymedes wrote:What in the bloody, Bloody, BLOODY hell would Fallout be without Post-Apoc setting???
Fallout 2 started down that road when you think about it. NCR was a large, unified government. The Shi were making artificial fuel oil, which leads to mass transit.

When you have a large and mobile government, you no longer have the isolated, chaotic feel that made the original Fallout so good. In fact, a large and mobile government is no longer post apocalyptic. It basically takes it from being post apocalyptic to being straight sci-fi.
Rat Keeng wrote:Brahmin pulled carts, good.

Car, okay.
Car warz BAD though. Fallout isn't Mad Max, nor should it ever be. It'd be a shame to take a unique setting and turn it to a copy of something else.

I'd much rather see a Brahmin cart than a car really, those were well established in Fallout and Fallout 2.
------------------
Phoenix
Regular
Regular

Post by Phoenix »

i agree
Signatures are for loosers

I just love that line....
Ganymedes
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Ganymedes »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:Fallout 2 started down that road when you think about it. NCR was a large, unified government. The Shi were making artificial fuel oil, which leads to mass transit.
Well, when you put it that way, I am bound to agree... Fallout 2 didn't suceed that much in the "cast-out" feel...
Fallout Forever!
m_steerpike
SDF!
SDF!

Keep the combat system?? Why??

Post by m_steerpike »

Why in the world would you want to keep the current combat system??? As we saw in FOT, it made no sense in a combat oriented game, and in fo and fo2 it became tedious in the second battle.

fo3, if it ever comes to pass, must take one of two roads:

1. No combat at all.

2. Tweak special so that hit points dont go over 100 and it follows a ja2 system.

Give me a break everyone... the current combat system is a joke! You all yell about hack and slask being crappy, but thats exactly what this combat system is... you trade shots and hits till one of you dies.... oooooooooo!!!
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Rat Keeng said,
Brahmin pulled carts, good.

Car, okay.

Tanks, Jeeps, Choppers, Motorcycles, Armored Trucks, Vertibirds, BAD!
How about a jeep, truck or vertibird pulled by a very fast moving brahmin??

I would like to echo m_steerpike's sentiments on moving beyond the current combat system. With modern computer systems being able to handle a very large amount of calculations per second, why are we still hanging onto a PNP combat system? Are you telling me that nobody is smart enough to create a realistic and non slow-assed TB system?
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

We love the TB-system, you freaks! And no, I will not regret saying that! now, get your asses together and tell me if the CTB from FOT was better??? Not to mention that if it's too slow for you you can set the combat-speed to max in the Settings.
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Re: Keep the combat system?? Why??

Post by Rat Keeng »

m_steerpike wrote:Give me a break everyone... the current combat system is a joke! You all yell about hack and slask being crappy, but thats exactly what this combat system is...
What the hell is this? You treat it as if combat is the only thing you do in Fallout? Combat isn't thee game, it's a part of the game, and imo a small part of the game. Hack and Slash is a game where combat is the whole game, like Diablo.
you trade shots and hits till one of you dies.... oooooooooo!!!
So that's how you do combat in Fallout? No fucking wonder you think it stinks.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Heh, heh. I have gotten used to Tactics CTB, and now I just reinstalled Fallout 1. I got to Adytum and took on the Regulators after helping out the Blades. Holy crap, is that friggin' boring. All I can do is try to move a little bit during my turn and watch as every one I want to save is mowed down. At least in Tactics I could rush to the aid of a few people to help them out against an onslaught.

Maybe you don't consider CTB battles tactical, but that Adytum battle was much worse than any CTB battle.
Our Host!