Duck and Cover Forum Index


Use these links, buy stuff from Amazon and help us out, nubs.
Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de
  Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

 Support DAC!
 Projects in the making View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topicReply to topic
Author Message
Chaos
Respected
Respected


Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 98
Location: Somewhere, don't really know I got lost on the way to Vault 13.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's been a very long time since i have been here but i am still working with my campaign Total Kaos if anyone even remembers it but it is taking a very long time with my other various projects i have going on but i promise you that it will be available some point in the future i have about 5 maps done and I am aiming for 20 so it could be a while but be ready because i will finish. :x
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Reznorock
SDF!
SDF!


Joined: 11 Jul 2003
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

just curious if anyone has ripped a copy of the english version of awaken mod for FOT if you have lemme know, id like to get my hands on a copy
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller


Joined: 24 Apr 2002
Posts: 151
Location: 7th floor of the west-tek facility.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A great holding place for Mods huh? Okay, i'll describe mine then.


Ive been working on a FOT mod for a few months now, perhaps longer (if you factor in all the previous stabs at it).

The primary changes are in the weapons, ammo, game balance, etc. I dont have any new maps because i'm not a map maker. But I did have to change just about every map in FOT to include new items, new tactical scenarios, new difficulty, etc.

I've modified things like: some enemy positions, added new enemies into the map, changed the locations of a few things, added items and containers (obviously), changed which "level" alot of enemies are (so most are tougher), et cetera.

Ranged weapons usually have more fire modes now (Aimed and Snap are standard - with Aimed giving a boost ToHit and Critical but taking longer), and Melee / Thrown / Unarmed weapons are alot more dangerous than they were before (rather, it's more rewarding if you choose to use them).


New changes to items:
*All energy weapons use respective energy pack types.
*Less ammo types to keep track of, but there are some more lethal ones too.
*Quartermaster always seems on a pretty tight budget, but barter skills are higher for your characters.
*Grenade Launcher type weapons are introduced earlier in the game (but they've been modified to be balanced for this).
*New sprite images (yay!), some are borrowed from MacBeth's sprite pack, some are custom created from FO2 and other images.
*Oh... lots and lots of new sfx.


New changes to characters:
*Bosses / Leaders are alot tougher.
*Most characters give more XP, but are higher level too
*Armor balance has changed.
*Characters carry different item assortments and some lead entirely different functions than normal.
*Deathclaws live up to their name now (as in, the same way they did in FO2).


I also modified the campaign file to include changes to Quartermaster items, character tables, and mission locations.

This campaign is alot tougher than the original. If you go whistlin-dixie through the maps like you would have before, you'll be losing characters left and right. The maps might look the same / similar, but not everything is as it seems... (but i'm not talking about landmines tho)

I think this mod also restores some better gameplay to the FOT game system - since we all miss the adapatability of FO1/2 in combat to pick and choose your actions.
View user's profileSend private message
MacBeth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller


Joined: 03 Jun 2002
Posts: 117
Location: Poland

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

and now something completly different:

project that are now NOT in the making:

realFT - my f&$#ing, almost brand new (i had him for almost two months) hdd broke down. and i lost all my data. i could stand the ent. and sprites but that... that ... that map, damn huge map*cries*

awaken patches - (not really some project but a little bit related to the topic) because of the hdd, and the thing that debugging some thing made even more bugs in awaken. so better live it alone as it is.

awaken2 - guess why? smile no not because of my hdd, just because, we cant get a bigger team to make it. and nobody really wants to move his arse to do anything
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteMSN Messenger
DaViLLaN
SDF!
SDF!


Joined: 29 Oct 2003
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

You mean No realFT?!?!?!??!
NOOOOO!!!!!! ( brings knife to own neck.....)

Guess I will have to try make one myself.
Dammit!!


I was really looking forward to that one.
View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL


Joined: 18 Apr 2002
Posts: 2257
Location: Grafenwoehr, Oberpfalz, Bayern, Deutschland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Big news here: In Our Own Image and all of my CTB project are on hold. I'm currently up to my neck in a TB project. See my site for further details.

OTB
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes


Joined: 29 Oct 2002
Posts: 1820

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yahoo, the Man is back!! FOT Redux looks very interesting, just as I was getting bored with the game two things come along to renew my interest. smile

Will you be adding the two single player demo missions to the campaign? They are two great low tech missions which stretch out the more enjoyable (IMHO) Raider missions.

I noticed you mention taking the maps apart and cleaning up overlaps etc, Nastgargoyle from the Interplay forums has been doing this as well, you can download his cleaned up maps here if that's any help.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL


Joined: 18 Apr 2002
Posts: 2257
Location: Grafenwoehr, Oberpfalz, Bayern, Deutschland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:
Yahoo, the Man is back!! FOT Redux looks very interesting, just as I was getting bored with the game two things come along to renew my interest. smile


Well, serves you right since you're indirectly responsible for this. Laughing REALLY FUCKING HARD (Thanks for the welcome, it's good to be back.)

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:
Will you be adding the two single player demo missions to the campaign? They are two great low tech missions which stretch out the more enjoyable (IMHO) Raider missions.


I haven't quite decided exactly how it's going to run after mission 4. I have decided that the Beastlords will go -- they fit the FO universe about as well as the glass slipper did the feet of Cinderella's step-sisters -- and that they will be replaced by Ghouls. The mutants are still in, but will be radically revised. The Reavers will be expanded, and the 'bots will be there but their reason for being will be radically altered.

I can't include The Refinery since it's Osceolla revised. I may put some of my other maps in there. Don't know right now. A lot depends on exactly how fucked up the core campaign's maps are. (More on that in just a bit.)

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:
I noticed you mention taking the maps apart and cleaning up overlaps etc, Nastgargoyle from the Interplay forums has been doing this as well, you can download his cleaned up maps...


I'm both cleaning the maps up as well as revising them. For instance, when you're in Brahmin Wood you'll definitely recognize it as such, but a lot of what SD calls the "combat playground look" is gone. No fences conveniently blocking of parts of a MP map that the designers didn't feel like using, for instance. I've also changed a lot of the building materials to make areas look more like something you'd expect inhabitants of the Wasteland to build rather than...well, you know what some of those maps look like.

However, some of the maps are so fucked up that they would be an absolute nightmare to clean up. Hence, I'm building new maps in their place and simply basing them very heavily on the original. Mission 3 is one of those, and it's what I'm working on right now. (That one is actually quite a radical revision. While you'll recognize the basic concept the actual terrain is quite a bit different and -- I hope -- much more of a challenge than the original mission was. (Yeah, you go right ahead and charge those gates...)

As for the technological aspects...I'm using the RPGs as a guide as to when to hand out equipment. You start off with Zip Guns, low-end melee weapons, and Leather Jackets. The prize weapon of the first mission is -- drum roll please -- a 10mm Pistol, which is always nice since you don't have to reload after every fucking shot. 10mm SMG or Hunting Rifle? Forget them for a bit, you won't find them for a couple of missions, and then not in sufficient numbers to arm your squad with. Did I mention that you're always hurting for ammo? icon_mrhappy (I've had my squad run completely out and the whole thing degenerate into a melee...)

The trick is going to be handling things once the Mutants crop up. That was the point where the core campaign turned into a game of instant death thanks to the vast numbers of Big Guns in circulation. While I'll probably have the SMs armed more like they were in FO it'll still be tricky...

Oh, one thing I'm doing in the re-writing is to alter place names. Most names aren't pre-war, so although you'll be standing in modern day Green Bay, Wisconsin at one point you won't see that on the map. Hopefully I'm not being too bold in saying that this is what the core campaign could have been. I've come up w/a basic plot that doesn't sodomize the RPG canon, for one, even though there is still a strong vein of similarity between what I'm writing and the core campaign's plot.

I should stop here. I'll get carried away if I don't. icon_wink (Besides, I need to get this stuff out on my site.)

Cheers,

OTB
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes


Joined: 29 Oct 2002
Posts: 1820

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OnTheBounce wrote:
Well, serves you right since you're indirectly responsible for this. Laughing REALLY FUCKING HARD (Thanks for the welcome, it's good to be back.)
Me, don't blame things on little old me. icon_sad

OnTheBounce wrote:
I haven't quite decided exactly how it's going to run after mission 4. I have decided that the Beastlords will go -- they fit the FO universe about as well as the glass slipper did the feet of Cinderella's step-sisters -- and that they will be replaced by Ghouls. The mutants are still in, but will be radically revised. The Reavers will be expanded, and the 'bots will be there but their reason for being will be radically altered.
I've always replaced the majority of humanoid Robots with Reavers, and had the Reavers as descendants of Vault 0 dwellers who control the rest of the bots, but I can't wait to see what you come up with. Don't forget to alter the taunts file if you're keeping the Deathclaws, I did in Melee Meltdown and replaced all their taunts with growls since the DeathGoats in my FOT don't talk.

OnTheBounce wrote:
I can't include The Refinery since it's Osceolla revised. I may put some of my other maps in there. Don't know right now. A lot depends on exactly how fucked up the core campaign's maps are. (More on that in just a bit.)
I was refering to the two Microforte SP demo missions and not The Refinery, though if you did revamp the mutant missions you could always replace Osceolla. smile

OnTheBounce wrote:
As for the technological aspects...I'm using the RPGs as a guide as to when to hand out equipment. You start off with Zip Guns, low-end melee weapons, and Leather Jackets. The prize weapon of the first mission is -- drum roll please -- a 10mm Pistol, which is always nice since you don't have to reload after every fucking shot. 10mm SMG or Hunting Rifle? Forget them for a bit, you won't find them for a couple of missions, and then not in sufficient numbers to arm your squad with. Did I mention that you're always hurting for ammo? icon_mrhappy (I've had my squad run completely out and the whole thing degenerate into a melee...)
Having different caliber zip guns and pipe rifles helps keep ammo scarce and more varied, since they're homemade weapons it makes sense (to me) that no two weapons would be alike. I know you don't like limiting people to a prefab but a blank prefab can still be modified (name, age, portrait etc) and if set to the tribal race can wear just about any armour in the game (except SM and Ghoul of course) this means that you can use the raider sprite which makes a mean leather jacket.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL


Joined: 18 Apr 2002
Posts: 2257
Location: Grafenwoehr, Oberpfalz, Bayern, Deutschland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:
Me, don't blame things on little old me. icon_sad


Sorry Req, but you're name is one the Blame Roster for today. Laughing REALLY FUCKING HARD

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:
I've always replaced the majority of humanoid Robots with Reavers, and had the Reavers as descendants of Vault 0 dwellers who control the rest of the bots, but I can't wait to see what you come up with.


I won't say what I've come up with, but let's just say that some of my studies in Comparative Religion and Religious History are coming into play. However, I will say that there is no Vault 0 in this game. There are 'bots and they are the final enemy, but it has nothing to do w/Vault 0.

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:
Don't forget to alter the taunts file if you're keeping the Deathclaws, I did in Melee Meltdown and replaced all their taunts with growls since the DeathGoats in my FOT don't talk.


That's what I originally did even as early as the beginnings of IOOI. However, I've deleted them entirely now and have the DCs set not to use Taunts at all. Just like in the RPGs they will simply make sounds.

In a similar note, I do have various beasts using floats when not in combat. Sorry, but I get a kick out of my snorting Brahmin and panting dogs.

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:
I was refering to the two Microforte SP demo missions and not The Refinery, though if you did revamp the mutant missions you could always replace Osceolla. smile


You know, I'd forgotten about those missions. Hmmm...I wish I'd hung on to that modified Demo 01 mission that I made ages ago now... icon_sad

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:
Having different caliber zip guns and pipe rifles helps keep ammo scarce and more varied, since they're homemade weapons it makes sense (to me) that no two weapons would be alike.


Not a bad idea at all. I'll take that one under advisement, but I think I'll stick w/my canonical approach. Or...erg...

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:
I know you don't like limiting people to a prefab but a blank prefab can still be modified (name, age, portrait etc) and if set to the tribal race can wear just about any armour in the game (except SM and Ghoul of course) this means that you can use the raider sprite which makes a mean leather jacket.


I have six prefabs set up and three are tribals and three are "townfolk" ("Human"). Lots of the early 'cruits -- who are poor slobs like you, trying to get into the BoS -- are Tribals. I'll definitely have to look into this one. I personally like the basic Raider sprite, especially the female version.

OTB
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes


Joined: 29 Oct 2002
Posts: 1820

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

OnTheBounce wrote:
Sorry Req, but you're name is one the Blame Roster for today. Laughing REALLY FUCKING HARD
Did I ask you play Deathground? Did I ask you to play Deathground in STB? Did I say now go and play the main campaign in STB and decide to rebuild the whole thing? Nope all I said was what did you think of the changes I had made to your psuedoSAD map smile. If I had been recomending TB I would of said play it in ITB! icon_wink

OnTheBounce wrote:
Not a bad idea at all. I'll take that one under advisement, but I think I'll stick w/my canonical approach. Or...erg...
Trouble with the canonical approach to FOT is that since it centers around the combat then sticking to canonical weapons tends to leave big gaps in the loadout. I'm all for taking out most of the real world weapons, but this can leave the big guns squad members with a limited selection, especially if you're not that much into mini-guns. Will you be keeping the new melee and unarmed weapons of the FOT catalogue?
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL


Joined: 18 Apr 2002
Posts: 2257
Location: Grafenwoehr, Oberpfalz, Bayern, Deutschland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:
Trouble with the canonical approach to FOT is that since it centers around the combat then sticking to canonical weapons tends to leave big gaps in the loadout. I'm all for taking out most of the real world weapons, but this can leave the big guns squad members with a limited selection, especially if you're not that much into mini-guns. Will you be keeping the new melee and unarmed weapons of the FOT catalogue?


I think I'll sit down today and do the weapons data so that you can have a look at it. I'll let you know when it's been posted.

I will say that I am including some of the new HtH weapons, and I'm using them to bridge gaps in the catalogue.

Edit: BTW, I got to thinking last night before I dropped off to sleep about the demo missions. You see, I've been puzzling about what to do about P(r)eoria. I may ditch it in favor of using Demo Mission 02. I have to dl the map and take a look at it, then come up with a story behind it, although it will fit well into the whole "stabilizing the home front" theme of the early missions, I think.

Cheers,

OTB
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes


Joined: 29 Oct 2002
Posts: 1820

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Preoria map, perhaps modified with surface buildings similar to Bunker 4 instead of the village huts, would make a good bunker map. Having 3 pristine underground bunkers all built (or at least decorated) by the same people was a little too unbelievable for my liking. More of the temporary looking camps like bunker 5, or refurbished, previously abandoned facilities like Preoria with at the most one pristine underground bunker would work better with perhaps an expanded version of the uprising map for the surface.

It would also be nice with at least one of the surface 'bunkers' to return after completing a mission only to have to help fight off an attack.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
bertgoldstein
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b


Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 30

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:
Having 3 pristine underground bunkers all built (or at least decorated) by the same people was a little too unbelievable for my liking. More of the temporary looking camps like bunker 5, or refurbished, previously abandoned facilities like Preoria.


One thing that would be pretty neat would be using a captured facility as a bunker, like they describe doing in the debrief from the mission where you fight the dukes of hazard raiders. for the first bunker in my campaign I took that one and remolded the interiors of the buildings (and removed some of the the inside walls so it's a lot easier to get around). Like the slaughter house is now the medical building.

Another neat kind of bunker would be one that was inside a city, like the outposts from NCR and san francisco in Fo2. You could add a lot of additional charachter interaction that way.

I don't know if it's possible with the engine, but like if you save a town in one of the first mission, and then several missions later there's a brotherhood base in that town which serves as your bunker in that region. It'd give a good sense of continuity and make it seem like you're really accomplishing something when you do the missions.
View user's profileSend private message
quietfanatic
Respected
Respected


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 88
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I am working on a map inspired by sci fi survival horror stuff such as Aliens and Space Hulk with simple narrow corridors infested with deathclaw sprite monsters and others.

Because I don't like wide corridors I have erases (I) the walls leaving the floor, so that you don't miss the bloody demise of your elite, well equipped troopers and can better plan tactics.

Does anyone think a lack of walls is too annoying?
View user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider


Joined: 02 Feb 2003
Posts: 747

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Doesn't that basically mean that all the enemies will be visible regardess of where you are? You might consider making the walls invisible instead. Its pretty simple really. If you want function without visibility then you choose invisibility. And if you want visibility without function then you choose ethereal.

Keep in mind, that even a very small hallway should be at least two tiles wide. Anything smaller than that would probably be a ventilation shaft or such. A hallway of 6 world units (one floor tile), would likely be due from bad design (such as a homemade house), which wouldn't necessarily fit into every campaign scenario.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes


Joined: 29 Oct 2002
Posts: 1820

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you don't want walls change the setting of your map, other than the LOS problems etc, having no walls or invisible walls will probably look very odd.

Take a leaf out of Predator and set it in a jungle instead. smile
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider


Joined: 02 Feb 2003
Posts: 747

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Too bad there are no good alien ship textures. A large alien ship with lots of room might be better than narrow corridors. Of course, its not my project anyway. I would have a hard time making a good story from a warhammer type universe.

Basically melee alien types usually want to surround their oppenents quickly. This means either having a large open space so they can surround them, or being able to approach a cramped area from multiple angles (above, below, and all sides). You might want to consider this since the marine types will have superior range and firepower.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
quietfanatic
Respected
Respected


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 88
Location: Sydney, Australia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The map does look a bit odd without walls but I like it like that. Concerning the surperior range advantage, use sneak and invisible wall traps are used. Because I'm not a great artist I am setting the map with just plain BOS pipe grate floors, the setting now blasting enemies in an underground installation opposed alien ships or the like.

Coincidentely, one room has a miniforest, but this is just for contrast and so people can take a breather, more weird than the floors he he.
View user's profileSend private messageMSN Messenger
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes


Joined: 29 Oct 2002
Posts: 1820

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well each to his own, for me half the fun in custom missions is seeing the tile work people have done.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mail
Display posts from previous:      
Post new topicReply to topic


Jump to:  



View next topic
View previous topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group