Star Wars ATTACK OF THE CLONES

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

George Lucas should:::

Continue making Star Wars films
24%
Go back to the Indiana Jones franchise
5%
Buy Interplay up and make a Fallout film
7%
Buy Interplay up, walk into a dark alley carrying the deeds and get beaten to death and robbed by David Fincher who goes on to make a Fallout film
38%
Eat shit and die
26%

Total votes: 42

OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Viktor wrote: BTW - I know a few people would pay good money to watch a movie with a fist up their arses, but UK cinemas tend to frown on movie goers doing anything except guzzling over-priced popcorn and cola...
I think that those people need to go to those "special" cinemas. The ones that have "jizz moppers" on staff. :P

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

8O

Too much information!!!!
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Darwin_187
Respected
Respected

Post by Darwin_187 »

Damn skippy. Shame on you OTB, think of the children!!!
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

i'm sad to say that this is even a fallout community. so many people with bad opinions around here...its like...sitting the rest of your life in congress. Eww. But to the 23+ people who voted negatively - you are all ignorant morons. Lets see you, after nearly dying in a car accident, and making two low-budget films, spend your own money on 5-6 movies that could either flop or fly in the box office and have such a great imagination to make such things a reality. Where would we be without George Lucas? Crappy sound in movie theatres and home theatres. Films still being made on crappy film and not digitally. Many different things of pure suckage would be around if it wasn't for George Lucas. So until most of you get an original though in your meager little brains, I suggest you don't post such uselss, baseless and pointless threads such as this. It only makes you look ten times more stupid every time you do.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Hahah DinoX. Star Wars blew chunks :]

And Hitchcock made perfectly snazzy movies without use of any of that crap. Heh I'm sure we'd still be watching the talkies in the local nickelodeon if it weren't for lucas right? ::rolls eyes::...
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

dinoX wrote:i'm sad to say that this is even a fallout community.
I could see that reaction if it were a SW fan community.
dinoX wrote: But to the 23+ people who voted negatively - you are all ignorant morons.
Speak for yourself.
dinoX wrote:Lets see you, after nearly dying in a car accident, and making two low-budget films, spend your own money on 5-6 movies that could either flop or fly in the box office and have such a great imagination to make such things a reality.
Relevance, your honor? What does this have to do with the quality of the SW movies? Aside from the "great imagination" part, which in Lucas' case isn't the case. All that man's done is repackaged old things by revamping them w/current technology. Maybe if you could see beyond the last couple of years' worth of films you'd know that. Then again, maybe not. If you haven't seen it, go and rent or buy the '59 version of Ben Hur and watch the opening sequence of the chariot race. Then watch the opening sequence of the Pod Race in The Phantom Menace. If you don't at least get a dim jogging in some corner of your mind that you've seen something very similar before you should look into some memory enhancing drugs.

Now, about the part about Lucas almost dying in a car accident...are we supposed to feel sorry for him and utter nary an unflattering word about him simply because he was nearly killed? If he hadn't been he'd have gone on to become a racecar driver, no? Hell, you should be grateful that he was in that accident. Otherwise there wouldn't have been American Graffiti (IMHO the best all-around movie he ever directed) or any other film he ever made.
dinoX wrote:Where would we be without George Lucas? Crappy sound in movie theatres and home theatres. Films still being made on crappy film and not digitally.
Um...news flash: the vast majority of films are still shot on celluloid. Attack of the Clones is one of the first, if not the first to have been shot entirely w/digital cameras.

Lucas has been trying to ram his technological innovations down our throats for years, and not all of them have been improvements that were worth the time and effort to make them. I challenge you to watch a film in Dolby Surround, then the same film in THX. If you can tell the difference you either have dog ears, or an overly active imagination. Not only that, but Lucas didn't bother to include retro-compatability in the THX system, unlike those nice chaps who set up Dolby Digital AC-3, which will play Dolby Surround w/no loss of quality or oddity about it.
dinoX wrote:So until most of you get an original though in your meager little brains, I suggest you don't post such uselss, baseless and pointless threads such as this. It only makes you look ten times more stupid every time you do.
Says who? You?! Oh, I must have been paying too much attention to recent developments in the Middle East and Afghanistan and completely missed the part where whoever it was that died and left you as the sole purveyor of the global public's aesthetic sense. Can you please post a link to the relevant news article(s)? :roll:

George Lucas is not a godling, dinoX. He's a flesh-and-blood human being, and he doesn't merit being placed on a pedastal or an altar simply for having cranked out what is really nothing more than badly rewritten B-movies and mythology overlayed w/often astounding special effects.

I have spoken, ex cathedra from my belly button,

OTB
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

dinoX wrote:Where would we be without George Lucas?
Maybe watching Hollywood movies where characters and storyline were more important than 'next generation' special effects and a humongous merchandising/media campaign......

And I'm a big fan of the original 3 movies/books etc! But there's no way I'm going to pay $20 bucks to see another 'Phantom Menace'.....
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

I agree with him. And you are making yourselves look like pathetic little moronic losers. Attack of the Clones was indded a great movie and made Phantom Menace make more sense. The only bad thing is that Jar-Jar didn' die. Oh well. We can't have everything, there were tons of people who liked that overly-happy scaredy-cat. So just because all of Lucas' ideas don't fit your exact wants and needs doesn't mean that everything he does is shit. It just means that you guys need to be a little more open-minded and acceptant.

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Mikey
Regular
Regular

Post by Mikey »

Tank wrote:I agree with him. And you are making yourselves look like pathetic little moronic losers. Attack of the Clones was indded a great movie and made Phantom Menace make more sense. The only bad thing is that Jar-Jar didn' die. Oh well. We can't have everything, there were tons of people who liked that overly-happy scaredy-cat. So just because all of Lucas' ideas don't fit your exact wants and needs doesn't mean that everything he does is shit. It just means that you guys need to be a little more open-minded and acceptant.
that's funny.
nein! das ist verboten, goddammit!
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

I find this funny, too:
Tank wrote: It just means that you guys need to be a little more open-minded and acceptant.
From the guy whose sig is, "I'm an FOT-hating ass who doesn't compromise his viewpoints and I will piss you off sooner or later."

Now, on to more important things...
Viktor wrote:Maybe watching Hollywood movies where characters and storyline were more important than 'next generation' special effects and a humongous merchandising/media campaign...
What I wish we would see the end of is the two opposing camps of movies, in which some are laden w/spectacular special effects but lacking in character development, plot, etc., and the other end that are full of everything the others lack, but w/o special effects to speak of. I'm greedy. Why can't I have both? (Minus the media blitz and merchandising, of course.)

OTB
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

OnTheBounce wrote:From the guy whose sig is, "I'm an FOT-hating ass who doesn't compromise his viewpoints and I will piss you off sooner or later."
Was wondering when you'd notice that. You were pretty quick, good job!

Actually, one thing is being open-minded to something you've never tried/watched. Another thing is hating soemething after trying it, thinking it through, and still ending up with the same conlclusion. AotC was a good movie and well worth the mney not to mention that it got Lucas well on the way to redeeming his name. FOt was- well, a pathetic piece of crap and a total waste of money.

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Tank wrote:I agree with him. And you are making yourselves look like pathetic little moronic losers. Attack of the Clones was indded a great movie and made Phantom Menace make more sense. The only bad thing is that Jar-Jar didn' die. Oh well. We can't have everything, there were tons of people who liked that overly-happy scaredy-cat. So just because all of Lucas' ideas don't fit your exact wants and needs doesn't mean that everything he does is shit. It just means that you guys need to be a little more open-minded and acceptant.
So, let me get this straight.....my expressing MY opinion that I didn't like The Phantom Menace and won't be spending MY $20 bucks on Attack Of The Clones makes look like a "pathetic little moronic loser"?

You're not being very open minded and accepting about my expressing my opinion and exercising my freewill to spend my time and money how I please are you pal?
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

First of all, that wasn't really directed at you. I like your posts and don't want to start fighting with you (or anybody else for that matter). I liked Phantom Menace but thought it too deviating from the original trilogy. But you should go spend 5 bucks on AotC, it's worth every single penny!

As for not being very open-minded, well... I am, I'm just getting pissed at people calling a movie they haven't even seen bad. That's being extremely close-minded.

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Tank wrote:But you should go spend 5 bucks on AotC...
:lol: I wish I could get into a theater/theatre for $5.00.

All joking aside, doesn't it bother you that megalithic media corporations push their wares on you like they do? Now I'm not whining about how I feel forced to go see a movie or anything. What I'm getting at is that you can't escape the hype. It was bad enough seeing Spiderman merchandise everywhere I went, but now - right on its heels - comes the tsunami of AotC propaganda/merchandise.

I work for a company that prints and distributes newspapers. We handle 3 different newspapers, two national, and one local. The other morning all three had AotC plastered on the front page. The sad thing is that one of these papers is geared toward investors, so it seems that these phenomenon pervade nearly every aspect of societies.

It bothers me that men like Lucas are held up as heroes. He's an entertainer, and one could go on about what flaws there are in his work, but that's not the truly disturbing part. The truly disturbing part is that he is part of a virtual conspiracy to push all sorts of garbage down our throats that we don't need, and usually don't even want until "they" start pushing.

Lucas pushed hard for THX. Now he's pushing hard for digital film projectors in theatres. Do we really need these things? Do you really want to pay more and more for movies to keep up with the cost of constantly upgrading the equipment? The same can be said of PCs. Do you really need a 2.X gHZ machine? No. But if you listen to the hype you have to keep upgrading your machine lest it becomes obsolete.

I highly recommend a work called Future Shock by Alvin Toffler. Written back in 1970 it deals w/the rapidly accelerating pace of life and its ill effects on human beings. It's more relevant - although a bit dated - today than it was the day it came off of the press.

OTB
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

Merchandise:

A waste of money and the paper used to market it on. I hate merchandise more than anything else.

The Mivie:

I loved the movie and will still tell everybody to go watch it. As for the merchandise: GET RID OF IT!!!

Advancements:

Things are going a little too fast for my likeing as well, but try to tell that to the world!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Tank wrote:Advancements:

Things are going a little too fast for my likeing as well, but try to tell that to the world!
That's basically what Toffler says in Future Shock in the section of the book devoted to how we should deal w/these trends. "You know, we're not going to change things, so we'll have to deal w/them like this..."

Oh well.

K, time for a nap before work.

Mmmm...sleep...mmmm...

OTB
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Tank wrote:First of all, that wasn't really directed at you. I like your posts and don't want to start fighting with you (or anybody else for that matter). I liked Phantom Menace but thought it too deviating from the original trilogy. But you should go spend 5 bucks on AotC, it's worth every single penny!

As for not being very open-minded, well... I am, I'm just getting pissed at people calling a movie they haven't even seen bad. That's being extremely close-minded.
Bollocks! I having a posting nightmare this morning....
Last edited by Viktor on Sun May 19, 2002 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

Uhm... Why'd you post that? I know I posted that! Do you have a reply for it or are you just trying to... well, do something that I have no idea what is?

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Viktor
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Viktor »

Tank wrote:First of all, that wasn't really directed at you. I like your posts and don't want to start fighting with you (or anybody else for that matter). I liked Phantom Menace but thought it too deviating from the original trilogy. But you should go spend 5 bucks on AotC, it's worth every single penny!

My last post on this subject, so listen up!

1. Someone posts "And you are making yourselves look like pathetic little moronic losers" in a thread I've commented on and I think that person is at least addressing me as part of the group involved in the thread, even if I'm not addressed directly.

2. I don't want to fight here either. However, I strongly suggest you don't use phrases like "And you are making yourselves look like pathetic little moronic losers." in real life around educated, hard working people as you may wake up in the ER...

3. I'd watch AotC for $5... But seeing it in London means I'd spend $14 for the movie, another $8 on popcorn and a drink and at least $100 taken Mrs. Viktor out to dinner to make up for my leaving her at home with the little Viktorettes as they're too young to see it!

Night all.
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

Point taken.

Also, this is for you all: usually, when I post that kind of language, it's more meant to make a point than to insult people, etc. So if you feel whashammacallit, insulted by something I've said, just remember: if you're a "nice" poster, I most probably didn't mean it as bad as I put it out!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Our Host!