contreversy..... burst or single shot???

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.

are single shot weapons/fire mode better than burst weapons/fire mode

yes
12%
yes, but only with sniper and shooting at critical body parts eg: eyes
29%
can't be sure / use and like both
35%
burst weapons are only better when you have perks and traits such as bonus rate of fire and fast shot
6%
no... burst weapons absolutley riddle people with lead... they rule!
18%

Total votes: 34

This is Gonna Hurt
Respected
Respected

Post by This is Gonna Hurt »

Sc0pE wrote:interesting...
i find that rocket and flamer ammo is just too rare or heavy to be of much use to me...
personally i agree that it depends on the situation...
bozar, gauss and pulse are my favorites from each catigory...

An improved flamer w/ fuel becomes a godstick against
swarming parties. Whereas a burstfire gun might just hit
one target, even when it's the last in a line, the flamer
always hits everything in it's path, for generally reliable
damage. That and you can get one and ammo as early as New Reno in the game. The rocket launcher is harder to manage, but with the sniper perk it becomes a finger of doom. With fast shot and bonus ROF and the max 12 AP, you can load and fire it twice in a round, which will simply devastate any big party. Lovely seeing enclave pieces raining down.
I'm not evil, I just like making things explode

"...It IS hard to speak with six inches of knife sticking out of your face. They mostly just gurgle. And bleed." Black Mage
Richy
Regular
Regular

Post by Richy »

This is Gonna Hurt wrote: An improved flamer w/ fuel becomes a beast against
swarming parties.
sure, one can unleash quite a bit of damage with an advanced flamer, but with Rng. 5????? does well vs. rats and scorpions, etc.... but if you want to roast slightly important/powerful enemies, you end up dead at the barrel of their burst weapons, because you're so so close......

-Richy
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Actually an improved flamer does nothing (though the improved fuel does).

The ONLY difference between the improved an normal one is that it weghs 1 more then the normal one.

Although if you're short on fuel I guess you might consider upgrading it for fuel :)
amonshaw
SDF!
SDF!

Post by amonshaw »

I like to play dirty and aim for the eyes. For burst, I like the bozar. Too bad your NPCs don't try to aim; they disregard your other party members entirely!

I vary between the pulse rifle and H&K ___11E for single shot aiming.

Oh, that 40mm Grenade Machine Gun gets used by infantry units and takes 2 men to carry/guard.
Amonshaw

Yeah, it's MY completely made up name.
This is Gonna Hurt
Respected
Respected

Post by This is Gonna Hurt »

Richy wrote:
This is Gonna Hurt wrote: An improved flamer w/ fuel becomes a beast against
swarming parties.
sure, one can unleash quite a bit of damage with an advanced flamer, but with Rng. 5????? does well vs. rats and scorpions, etc.... but if you want to roast slightly important/powerful enemies, you end up dead at the barrel of their burst weapons, because you're so so close......

-Richy
9 out of 10 'clavers use single shot guns :). And Centaurs/Floaters/Aliens are easily toasted.
I'm not evil, I just like making things explode

"...It IS hard to speak with six inches of knife sticking out of your face. They mostly just gurgle. And bleed." Black Mage
Beef
Respected
Respected

Re: Contreversy..... burst or single shot???

Post by Beef »

I would have been glad to use burst a lot more widely had it not been for my lack of ammo and amount of 'friends' i had... damn K9 got in the way all the fucking time, the buttmunching robot dog...
Mr Carrot
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Mr Carrot »

If you go on average damage/kills from a game on hard with a 9 PE character with 150 odd skill in small arms, youl find that an aimed shot between the eyes with any weapon is more likely to kill/hit/cause more damage then a burst shot (bar with the bozar) on any distance greater then 4 hexs. On a 2 hex distance with a burst and a critical hit chance above 5% you will nearly always do an increased amount of damage.

The issue is however ammo expenditure, or amour, e.g. against the enclave any form of bursting is pointless (bar the 3 combat shotguns) an aimed eye shot is far more likely to do high damage at any range. Clearly the reasoning is that doing aimed shots is far and above the best choice, but it is indeed a lot less fun.
BigJack
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BigJack »

amonshaw wrote:Too bad your NPCs don't try to aim; they disregard your other party members entirely!
Last time i played vic shot franky in the balls :twisted: (that's why i "love" him)
"When Angels deserve to die." - SoaD (System of a Down)

A Member Of The Knight Organization
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Did he say "Oooh! That's gotta hurt!" after that? ;) It would've been a sight...
BigJack
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BigJack »

Naa Vicky is the silent type he just shoots his gauss pistol and doesnt say a word... What did Franky do to him for him to shoot him in the balls (guess :twisted: )
"When Angels deserve to die." - SoaD (System of a Down)

A Member Of The Knight Organization
Goumindong
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Goumindong »

fast shot

bonous ranged attacks

sniper

10 luck...

who needs aimed shots, i always cause a crit anyway. And with 10-12 bullets...
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

:twisted: I know what you mean.

But there is glory too in doing a targeted critical on ones eyes...

Or my favorite: Target one of the legs, cripple it, move on to other arm, then to other arm....if you're lucky and the enemy is strong (has a lot of hp's) then it's awesome to go and finish him off with a hammer or fists.. or a kick to the groin... :twisted:
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Tank
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by Tank »

If I want to do something like that i'll just use the BB-gun. It could cripple even the weakest enemy.
The Unwashed Village- Abandon ye sanity!

Live with Honor
Fight for Honor
Die with Honor

Let not Glory blind Thee
Richy
Regular
Regular

Post by Richy »

cripple this, cripple that.....WTF?? :?
just whip out ya bozar and "blaghhghghghghghg!!!!!", etc.....
foo

-Richy
Respected
Respected

Post by Sc0pE »

hmmm, the votes are slowly increasing... looks like single shot is better by the majority rule-but only with sniper and aiming at body parts... how interesting...

-however-

i agree with most things- apart from using flamethrowers against enclave troopers, as i remember playing the gam eon hard, each turn one enlcave trooper does 30 damg*2 approx with a guass, and you run up to them with a flamer???
WTF!!??
hi-mag optical telescopic sights and 12.7mm fin tipped DU SLAP rounds... what more can you ask for... - go the eye critical!......... I quote the innocent villager
"BLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH"
*drools*
Red

Post by Red »

It depends on the situation. I personally like the combat shotgun (and better variations thereof). I usually go close to the ennemy, and if I can manage to get 2 people in a line, I burst. If not, then I aim for the eyes. I've never really bothered for the Sniper perk as I think it deblances the game too much. At least it's HtH equivalant is worthy, as it's much harder to make a HtH game then being a sniper.
grapedog
SDF!
SDF!

M.O.

Post by grapedog »

I gotta say I always go for single shot...I usually end up using some sort of rifle, and tend to go for the Red Ryder if I can find it. I'll end up using the Red Ryder all the way to the end game. Up close and personal or from a distance it's probably my favorite weapon...bb's are cheap as well though sometimes hard to find. If not the Red Ryder than possibley the Laser Rifle which is a nice weapon and one of my favorites. I never use burst unless standing right next to an opponent and no one else is around...but Sulik tends to run right up as well as any dogs or deathclaws...so single shot is what I tend towards. Just started a new character, gonna try a melee or unarmed approach. After playing FO:Tactics for a while I started to like the sneaky knife wielding type and I'm gonna try it in this game. PLus I've never had a chance to wield the Super Sledge with precision...that ought to be fun.
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

I hardly even get to level 24 to pick the sniper perk, it gets boring towards the end. About the Red Ryder LE BB Gun, it's my all time favorite weapon as well. Runner-Up is the Hunting Rifle, then the .223 pistol.

Single shot is all i ever do. I've never even completed the game with a Big Guns only character.
Sc0pE
Respected
Respected

Post by Sc0pE »

votes are tied...

you should see how funny it is using the BB LE gun with 300% small arms and 10 PE!!! hahahaha
hi-mag optical telescopic sights and 12.7mm fin tipped DU SLAP rounds... what more can you ask for... - go the eye critical!......... I quote the innocent villager
"BLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH"
*drools*
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

I like the Sniper Rifle in single shot purposes and the P90 for bursting..
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Our Host!