FOT still crashing but im still working on figuring it out..

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

FOT still crashing but im still working on figuring it out..

Post by PaladinHeart »

I have noticed that what crashes my FOT is something about a particular type of encounter around the Great Bend. Im PRETTY sure it has to do with Reavers but I have placed every reaver type on a map and tested it but it doesn't crash that way.

The game always crashes BEFORE it asks if I want to encounter the enemy. Perhaps it is a problem with the encounter's name? The encounter in question is exactly 3 spaces to the right of the Great Bend. The game also tends to crash anywhere that the Reaver Scavengers Medium encounter is likely to take place. I have tested it and the other reaver encounters do not crash FOT but anywhere that the 3rd Reaver group (the scav medium) is likely to take place, the game crashes before the "would you like to enc..." message even pops up. Only once or twice has the game actually not crashed. I think it may possibly be due to a certain reaver that is appearing SOME times but not at others. Anyone else have this problem? I have tried to solve it but the encounters file doesn't seem to affect it any when I deleted all the reavers. Should I replace all the reaver entities with robots and see if that works?

This is really confusing. I wish I could pinpoint the problem.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I know it will crash if you have visited all of the special encounters and then hit another square marked foe special encounters. That bug there is nothing you can do except avoid those squares. I haven't heard about the random encounters though. I'm not sur ehow you would fix that problem.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:I know it will crash if you have visited all of the special encounters and then hit another square marked foe special encounters. That bug there is nothing you can do except avoid those squares. I haven't heard about the random encounters though. I'm not sur ehow you would fix that problem.
Yeah 3 squares to the right of Great Bend is a 100% chance of the Brothers Grimm Special encounter, and 50% chance of Reavers Scavs Medium. Either avoid that square entirely or open up the campaign file in the editor and change the location/chances of one of those encounters.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Eureka!

Post by PaladinHeart »

Ah, I just figured that bit out about the special encounters. I was barking up the wrong tree about the reavers.

Guess I'll just have to avoid those squares. Sheesh there's a lot of em :)

At least now the game wont crash on me while im on the world map (unless I make a wrong turn). That should help out a lot. Maybe now I can finish it on hardest/tough guy

I have to say that the first mission was the hardest playing this way. The rest are just a good old fashioned brawl. Now the only thing that can stand in my way is the random obligatory crash during each mission and lots and lots of robots.. and a bad rep for killing all the merchants with drugs :)
Snake-D
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Snake-D »

I've noticed that when you're editing files like the character.txt file and you are overloading the maximum value of text then fallout tactics crashed at the startup... I've had to change alot of character profiles because of it... also, the mission.txt files also have limits on them... But it's easily solved by removing all the lines which are not used by the game

the : // bla bla lines

Greetz,

Snake-D

P.s: I might just posted something everybody already knew ! :?
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Use the items.txt file

Post by PaladinHeart »

You can always use the items.txt file. It has a ton of room. In fact im not sure it even has a limit.

So far the only thing that has made it crash on startup is making more taunt lines. Had to remove one :)

I also changed a lot of the death text for stuff dying. A lot of it was lame and/or too generic (cars just die?.. I made unique desc for each death type except the first)

Oh. I also changed the reaver male sprite to the ghoul sprite when one of them caused my comp to crash (must have been using a weapon he shouldn't have been using). The work they did on some of the lesser used actor types is a little shoddy to say the least. You would think they could have at least fixed everything up good.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Snake-D wrote:I've noticed that when you're editing files like the character.txt file and you are overloading the maximum value of text then fallout tactics crashed at the startup... I've had to change alot of character profiles because of it... also, the mission.txt files also have limits on them... But it's easily solved by removing all the lines which are not used by the game
Hmm I usually use Wordpad or Word to edit the text files, rather than notepad. That way I don't get a limit to the file size nor have I had any crash problems doing so.

I have had a few crashes adding lines to the mission text files, though this is usually rectified by moving the file, opening up the editor and saving the map without an association to the text file then replacing the text file and re-opening the map and reconnecting it to the text file. Sounds complicated I know but thankfully it's only happened once or twice.

Edit Just out of curiousity do you know what the file size was when you think your edited file caused a crash?
Snake-D
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Snake-D »

I don't know but I've removed all the lines that are actually just filling up the file, so I will have more room to put in stuff.

My reaver character is doing fine btw, I heard people having problems with it... but I have mine wearing Reaver armour, brotherhood armour... not yet tryed any other armour, but funny thing is when the Reaver is putting on Reaver armour, he looks like a Reaver, when he is putting on brotherhood armour, he looks like a brotherhood recruit and when he doesn't have any armour on at all, he looks like the normal tribal male/female. So I'm not sure what makes this reaver issue so complicated... If you guys need help... just ask !

Greetz,

Snake-D :D
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Snake-D wrote:I don't know but I've removed all the lines that are actually just filling up the file, so I will have more room to put in stuff.
Notepad has a limit of about 51KB for creating files IIRC. During my experiments in changing the existing campaign my characters.txt has increased to 722KB, so far I haven't had any problems with this causing crashes.
Snake-D wrote:My reaver character is doing fine btw, I heard people having problems with it... but I have mine wearing Reaver armour, brotherhood armour... not yet tryed any other armour, but funny thing is when the Reaver is putting on Reaver armour, he looks like a Reaver, when he is putting on brotherhood armour, he looks like a brotherhood recruit and when he doesn't have any armour on at all, he looks like the normal tribal male/female. So I'm not sure what makes this reaver issue so complicated... If you guys need help... just ask !

Greetz,

Snake-D :D
If your Reaver looks like a tribal without any armour then you've probably created him as a Unique Humanoid, yes? Max-V was using the ReaverHuge. Which since it doesn't have a seperate sprite from the standard Reaver and therefore probably isn't fully implemented. For example if I change a Raider to a RaiderHuge in the level editor then that change will stick even though you don't see the change until you play the map, but if I change a Reaver to ReaverHuge when I save and close the map they've reverted back to standard Reavers when I reopen the map.
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

Unique Humanoids

Post by PaladinHeart »

Actually a Unique Humanoid will retain the appearance of whatever image you give him regardless of whatever armor they are wearing.
Snake-D
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Snake-D »

My Raider characters are all Tribals, not Unique Humanoid !
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Snake-D wrote:My Raider characters are all Tribals, not Unique Humanoid !
Your raiders as well? I've played your demo and noticed your prefab was a tribal though he was meant to be a reaver, you might want to change the tribal descriptions etc to those of the Reavers.

BTW looking at the concept art on the bonus disc it looks like there were several character sprites that they intended to but never implemented.
Our Host!