My advice to the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. developers

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Is S.T.A.L.K.E.R the best candidate to fill the shoes of fallout 3?

Yeah pertty much... Deep insights... Grand ambiance... Immersive storyline... Gameplay that gives me a boner... We've got ourselves a winner
55%
Naaa... Not even close... Fallout is about AMERICA in the 1950's... period.
45%
Comparing fallout to S.T.A.L.K.E.R is an insult to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
No votes

Total votes: 11

Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: SUBTITLES ARE GOOD FOR YOU!

Post by Megatron »

Mack_The_Knife wrote:!
Oh. I was just disaggreeing with kashluk 'hey its russia everyone speaks russian NO FUCKING ENGLISH ITS TO AMERICAN!' I don't mind badly-spoken english with a few replacement words in. And I usually read subtitles anyway because voice-acting is usually to shitty and you can't tell what they're saying.

BUT If you're a stalker from russia wouldnt the dialouge be in your native tongue? So mabye he could understand everything, and it translates to english so we can read/listen to it as we are meant to be him/her?

The only thing that pisses me off in games with language is if you're walking around WW2 Germany and the stuff on signs are english.
:chew:
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Pyro wrote: if you're walking around WW2 Germany and the stuff on signs are english.
Yeah, stuff like that just pisses me off, and there really isn't an excuse for it either.
Mack_The_Knife
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Mack_The_Knife »

That whole thing with the stalker filtering out the russian into the player's english spoken thoughts is dandy and all, but I'm just saying that a bilingual (subtitles and language switch available at all times) game with excellent voice acting is a luxury that every single one of us, here, at DAC, connoiseurs of fine gaming art, DESERVE!!! AND SHALL HAVE!

And, not only should a person be able to count to five in spanish but also be able to turn to, say, the prime minister of Spain José Maria Aznar and go:"!Chupa-me la polla antes que yo te rompa la crisma, pinche!"

(I think I got that right... but I'm not too sure... my spanish needs practice)

Anyway... you are painfully right about that whole corny "Vee Know Vatt you Arr up to, Amerikaner Soldtcher" thing...
I'm the genuine "Gun In a Can" Man!!! Not to mention Hard Boiled.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

And, not only should a person be able to count to five in spanish but also be able to turn to, say, the prime minister of Spain José Maria Aznar and go:"!Chupa-me la polla antes que yo te rompa la crisma, pinche!"
Well considering I live in the middle of the U.S. of A., the most I need to know is "Get a job you filthly mexican1". But since they'd probably beat the crap out of me if I said that, then maybe it's a good thing I can't speak Mexican-er I mean Spainish.

And a "Language switch available ar all time", I don't know but that sounds like a stupid gimmick to me. But I would like subtitles.
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

Subtitles are good, since people don't always properly enunciate their words, even if they are speaking my native language.

I think in a scene where everyone shares the same language, like german, the audience should be able to hear it in their native language, but when there is more than one language being spoken, everyone should be speaking their language.
Like in the movies.

It doesn't really matter to me. I probably won't buy this game.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Radoteur wrote:Subtitles are good, since people don't always properly enunciate their words, even if they are speaking my native language.

I think in a scene where everyone shares the same language, like german, the audience should be able to hear it in their native language, but when there is more than one language being spoken, everyone should be speaking their language.
Like in the movies.

It doesn't really matter to me. I probably won't buy this game.
English version should be in English, Russian version in Russian, German version in German etc etc. Subtitles should be included for the hard of hearing.

Always disliked media that switches between langauges automatically assuming the viewer/reader/player is bi-lingual.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Always disliked media that switches between langauges automatically assuming the viewer/reader/player is bi-lingual.
I don't know... maybe it's because you live in Europe (atleast I think you do...) but I've never really encountered a form of media where they changed languages and expected me to understand. That doesn't neccessarily mean they always speak english, but it also doesn't mean I should understand everything spoken.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

paynetothemax wrote:I don't know... maybe it's because you live in Europe (atleast I think you do...) but I've never really encountered a form of media where they changed languages and expected me to understand. That doesn't neccessarily mean they always speak english, but it also doesn't mean I should understand everything spoken.
I've read plenty of books, many by American authors, that use phrases in another language and don't bother to give a translation. It's something I find quite annoying cause I ever have to break the flow of the book by stopping to look up the phrase and attempt a translation or just skip over it and try to follow the plot via the context.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Oh that. Yeah I see that every now and then. Sometimes you can tell from context what they're saying but yeah it can be pretty annoying when it isn't as obvious.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Well the STALKER world seems to attract a lot of people to the zone to get rich and stuff. So there'd be a lot of languages spoken and stuff, and probably outside the zone would be similair to a market or airport. So mabye most people would use english, gangs and factions use there home tongue and mabye have some translators...translating.

BUT I like it in war movies where the enemy keep shouting one phrase, the other soldiers don't understand and they get beaten up a bit/shot. Hopefully STALKER will include getting beaten up and tortured by a bunch of soldiers or something.
:chew:
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Pyro wrote:Well the STALKER world seems to attract a lot of people to the zone to get rich and stuff. So there'd be a lot of languages spoken and stuff, and probably outside the zone would be similair to a market or airport. So mabye most people would use english, gangs and factions use there home tongue and mabye have some translators...translating.
If it's part of the plot that you have people of different nationalities in the game then fine, everyone should speak in their native tongue unless translating etc. If the dialogue is not essential to the plot then there's no need to translate it, if it is essential then perhaps it can be part of the game to need to translate it. But if everyone is generally the same nationality or meant to be speaking the same language then use which ever language the version is marketed for.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I'm going to stay in my previously posted statement:

Everyone should speak their native language BUT if they are intentionally going to talk to a foreign person, they could speak English/whatever other language IF they're educated enough. If the NPC is a sephard from the Urals I doubt he knows a word of any other language than Russian.

But for the sake of game play, we all don't understand Russian, let there be dialogue boxes. This dialogue IS NOT in Russian, but instead, in English/whatever other language than the one that is spoken in the voice acting.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

Kinda a moot point though, if he's just shepard boy from the urals, then I doubt he'd be important enough for spoken dialogue. He'd probably just get text boxes.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

There the developers are saying that the game isn`t FO3D (eheh) but have some interesting points here
http://www.tactical-squad.com/article.p ... article=48
Our Host!