Free material up for grabs

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Free material up for grabs

Post by Stevie D »

Hi, folks,

Been a while, eh? :) Everyone OK?

It's about time I admitted that this map of mine is never going to get off the ground. :( No point it festering on my hard-drive, though. It would be nice to see it become part of someone else's work, so it doesn't go to waste.

Anyone interested? I'd be happy to email it to anyone who'd like to use it either wholly or partially, as long as I could have a mention in any credits section that goes with it.

Who knows? It could save someone a week or two of tile-juggling. :)

All the best,

Steve :)
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

Post by War Bringer »

heheheh, it's been almost a year, and i've yet to complete a map... 8O but i've yet to give up... i did kinda finish that arena map, though... kinda...
"...Half a man's corpse laid on the hallway floor starring at itself,
probably wondering what had happened to the rest of his body..."
- Brothers Of The Dark

OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Send it to me at onthebounce@duckandcover.net. If you would be so kind.

I may or may not use it. I may or may not revise it. I may or may not use it as an "inspirational springboard" (read: rip-off of your idea). Whatever the case may be if, I'll let you know and you will receive appropriate credit.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

I wish we had some type of way to release mods/maps like that where people could post their comments, possibly rate it, and optionally mark their own map/mod as "unfished" for others to use.

Would be kinda nice to have such a system (integrated) somewhere, a bit more advanced then the map review forum if you will.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Red wrote:I wish we had some type of way to release mods/maps like that where people could post their comments, possibly rate it, and optionally mark their own map/mod as "unfished" for others to use.

Would be kinda nice to have such a system (integrated) somewhere, a bit more advanced then the map review forum if you will.
Perhaps some kind soul with some room on their web site could set up a Graveyard of Abandoned Ideas, an unfinished map section? The way things are going at the moment I'd have several submissions. Took a break from mapping over xmas and can't seem to find any motivation to get started again. : (
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Email sent to that address, OTB. :) Hope you get further with it than I did. ;)

Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

*MV points to the email address in his sig*
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Arrggh, MV, you swine... :D

If you'd posted earlier, you'd have saved me having to upload twice...

Email sent to you, m8. :)

BTW: Have you guys lost your smilies since I was last here?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Stevie D wrote:Email sent to that address, OTB. :)
TYVM, kind sir! I just saved it and will look at it later. From your description it sounds like I'll have room in my campaign for it, as it will save me from having to build one map in the 3rd chapter/stage of the campaign...
Stevie D wrote:Hope you get further with it than I did. ;)
Only time will tell. ;)

BTW, never, ever mention Cli(n)t Eastwood again! If you have to pursue a dream like that don't say "Eastwood, Fist Full of Dollars, etc.", but rather "Mifune, Yojimbo, etc." ;)

Regarding this idea of a "graveyard of shattered mapping dreams", I have something like 86 megs remaining on my Fortune City site. It blows, but it's free, and we wouldn't have to pester Kreegle & Co. w/trying to set up a new section on DaC. The only drawback is that it would require that anything submitted be in an uncompressed format since FC doesn't allow ZIP files or their ilk to be uploaded in the name of fighting warez.

Cheers,

OTB
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

OnTheBounce wrote:
Stevie D wrote:Email sent to that address, OTB. :)
TYVM, kind sir! I just saved it and will look at it later. From your description it sounds like I'll have room in my campaign for it, as it will save me from having to build one map in the 3rd chapter/stage of the campaign...
Stevie D wrote:Hope you get further with it than I did. ;)
Only time will tell. ;)
Schweet! :)
BTW, never, ever mention Cli(n)t Eastwood again! If you have to pursue a dream like that don't say "Eastwood, Fist Full of Dollars, etc."
Well, I just happen to like those films, mister! :p
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

By the way, Requiem,

If you like your... err... requiems nice and dark, I throughly recommend the 2nd movement of Brahm's German Requiem: "Denn alles Fleisch es ist wie Gras" (because all flesh is grass).

It wasn't used as the theme for The Nazis, A Warning From History, for nothing.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Stevie D wrote:BTW: Have you guys lost your smilies since I was last here?
Dunno, I guess they got broken somehow... I'm pretty sure I didn't do it...

Well, SD, that map is quite a treat to look at -- the level of detail is way over my head, so if I were to use it, everyone would know I didn't make the whole thing myself *snicker*

Your map might end up being Revenge3, or I might end up using some of the buildings in future maps (i.e. the Kwik-E-Mart, train station, etc.). It's hard to say at this point, with soooooooooooo much tilework left to do on Revenge2, let alone entities and scripting and the speech file and so on an so forth...

I can say for a fact that the map won't go to waste :mrgreen:
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Stevie D wrote:By the way, Requiem,

If you like your... err... requiems nice and dark, I throughly recommend the 2nd movement of Brahm's German Requiem: "Denn alles Fleisch es ist wie Gras" (because all flesh is grass).

It wasn't used as the theme for The Nazis, A Warning From History, for nothing.
Thanks for the pointer, I'll try and check it out. Trouble is my memory isn't what it used to be and while I like classical music a lot those titles just aren't as easy to remember as 70's rock titles or 80's heavy metal tracks. : )
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Max-Violence wrote:Well, SD, that map is quite a treat to look at -- the level of detail is way over my head, so if I were to use it, everyone would know I didn't make the whole thing myself *snicker*

Your map might end up being Revenge3, or I might end up using some of the buildings in future maps (i.e. the Kwik-E-Mart, train station, etc.).
Thanks for the feed-back, MV. I feel like itwasn't a total waste of time, now. :)

Hmm... I wonder if I could become a 'set-piece' one-off building designer for other folks' maps...

OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Stevie D wrote:Hmm... I wonder if I could become a 'set-piece' one-off building designer for other folks' maps...
That's an idea right there. Or you could simply put out clips of buildings/other structures that could be of use. This could make you a very useful addition to the FoT modding community even though your interests only run to tile work. (I was wondering when we were going to get some people operating that specialized in one or two aspects of mapping/modding rather than the pack of generalists that we currently have.)

Don't be angry w/me, for I haven't looked at your map yet. Sorry, but I've been up to my gills in working on Phase 2 of my demo. No, I haven't been working on The Fall of the Hub, but rather revamping The Refinery as I said I would. In addition to implementing some of the scripting and balance suggestions from "way back when" the map is getting a major overhaul. Without going into any details: it'll be worth playing again when Phase 2 comes out. I guess you could call it "Version 2.0", not a 1.05 or some thing.

I promise I'll look at it as soon as I log off and reboot. I have to do it that way since otherwise I'll be working 'til bedtime again, just like I've done the past couple of days. I'll either post to this thread or send you an email w/feedback.

Cheers,

OTB
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Nice one, OTB. :) No worries w/regards the map, m8... I'll leave it to you and MV to fight over who gets what... :D Mmm... acrimonilicious.

If anyone would like me to make a set-piece building using the basic tile-set for their maps, by all means please give me a shout. Email's prolly best, because I could be away from this forum for a while: josefgiven@hotmail.com

It might take me a while to build it to order, since I have other online commitments, but it would be a real pleasure for me to be able to bash out something to a high quality and actually get it bloody finished!! :D

Best regards,

OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

There I was, about to look at your map...when suddenly -- from out of no where! -- Max jumped on my back and bashed me several times w/a lead-filled sap!

What?! You don't believe me? Er...probably because it didn't happen, not to mention that he and I live on opposite sides of a continent...

Seriously, I looked at it and I have to say that it's "not bad...not half bad!" It doesn't fit in very well w/the rest of my maps, though, and so I will let Max have this one. I learned the hard way that modifying a map is usually worse than actually building one from scratch. I had loads of problems w/The Refinery all because it was a modified MF map (Osceolla) and the map has more man hours in it than any other I've just sat down and built.

I will, however, give your overall layout another look. Like I said, I have use for a Yojimbo/Fist Full of Dollars/Last Man Standing-style map for one of the later missions that I haven't even given any real thought to how it is going to look yet. (Will I ever get done? *lol*)

Cheers,

OTB
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OnTheBounce wrote:There I was, about to look at your map...when suddenly -- from out of no where! -- Max jumped on my back and bashed me several times w/a lead-filled sap!
Hey, I had to get you to lay off the crack somehow, didn't I? :) :crack:
I will let Max have this one
:slayer:

Wow, all the emoticons died, didn't they? Too bad, that Slayer and the :crack: one are cool as 'ell.
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Max-Violence wrote:Wow, all the emoticons died, didn't they?
That would be part of DaC's new anti-spamming policy. This way we don't have loads of one line, emoticon-laden posts. (But if you're dying to have emoticons anyway you can look at the URL for those emoticons you like and link to them as images...)

OTB
Our Host!