Troika's TOEE Officially announced

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Troika's TOEE Officially announced

Post by Killzig »

<strong>[ -> N/A]</strong>

<blockquote>

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 8, 2003-- Following in the footsteps of its best-selling, award-winning "Neverwinter Nights"(TM), Atari today announced that the World of Greyhawk, one of the most popular Dungeons & Dragons® campaign settings of all time, will make its first interactive appearance with the upcoming release of "Greyhawk: The Temple of Elemental Evil." Developed by Troika, creators of the critically acclaimed "Arcanum," "Greyhawk: The Temple of Elemental Evil" will feature an exciting party-based single player campaign, an engaging storyline based on the classic D&D® adventure of the same name as well as a faithful translation of the latest 3rd Edition rules.

"The World of Greyhawk has been a staple of the Dungeons & Dragons universe for more than 20 years and we are extremely pleased to be the first to bring this exciting world to life with one of the most popular and exciting D&D modules ever made -- `The Temple of Elemental Evil,'" said Jean-Philippe Agati, senior vice president and general manager of Infogrames' Los Angeles studio. "`Greyhawk: The Temple of Elemental Evil' will return players to D&D's roots with the genre-defining adventure that started it all while taking full advantage of the popular 3rd Edition rule set, party-based adventuring and tactical turn-based combat."

The World of Greyhawk and its inaugural adventure "The Temple of Elemental Evil" was first introduced with the release of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons® rule set in 1985. Developed by Gary Gygax, Greyhawk became the first complete D&D campaign setting detailing an entire world of adventure including detailed accounts of continents, countries, cultures, folklore, personages and much more. Greyhawk lore and arcana have since pervaded nearly every aspect of today's dynamic D&D universe from spells to monsters to famous characters, providing players with a more rich and robust playing environment.

Scheduled for release in the second half of 2003, "Greyhawk: The Temple of Elemental Evil" finds adventurers in a fight for their lives as a simple rescue mission uncovers a much more sinister plot with far-reaching implications. As the story unfolds, adventurers will travel the world of Oerth, discover the besieged village of Hommlet, survive the filthy shire of Nulb and ultimately penetrate the ruins of the Temple of Elemental Evil, a beacon of darkness and despair in a world without hope.

"Greyhawk: The Temple of Elemental Evil" will feature all of the game play aspects from the 3rd Edition D&D rule set including an entire host of feats and skills. The product's traditional turn-based combat engine will allow more effective coordination of the large party configurations possible within the game. In addition, adventurers can expect an entire host of classic D&D creatures straight from the pages of the Monster Manual, including lizard men, hill giants and a slew of demons.</blockquote>

God Forbid, Tim might actually get us all playing a fantasy game.
Ghetto Goose
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Ghetto Goose »

GASP!

Fuh-Fuh-Fuh-FANTASY???

And I just beat Fallout again...
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

So....will this be the replacement for DAC's previous coverage of Lionheart? :\
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

yep

hey covering an immersive RPG is better than covering a hack n slash, though our focus will be shoving project phoenix down your throats :D
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

ToEE might still be a good game, developed by creators of Fallout, but it's still a D&D dungeon crawl. I see no reason why it should be covered here. That's what RPG Codex is for...
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Re: Troika's TOEE Officially announced

Post by OnTheBounce »

Killzig wrote:God Forbid, Tim might actually get us all playing a fantasy game.
Fuckin' scary, ain't it?

I hope MTC finds a way to realize his idea of doing the Against the Giants series. I've got a good feeling about G:ToEE, and I'm sure he can find a way to overcome the obstacle he mentioned of the starting level for that series being 8th rather than 1st. (M'be he should tack on one of the other classic modules/series in front of it to get characters up to 8th level?)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Ausir wrote:ToEE might still be a good game, developed by creators of Fallout, but it's still a D&D dungeon crawl. I see no reason why it should be covered here. That's what RPG Codex is for...
I don't think it's going to be a dungeon crawler.

I'm sure it will have dungeons, but from what I understood it's not going to be a hack n' slash-dungeon crawler-purely combat oriented game.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Well, it's a turn-based, non-linearish Tim Cain game not set in Forgotten Realms! That's enough to make me horny. Besides, Fallout 3 is not in production&#8482;, so we need something to talk about.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Ausir wrote:ToEE might still be a good game, developed by creators of Fallout, but it's still a D&D dungeon crawl. I see no reason why it should be covered here. That's what RPG Codex is for...
Agreed. The concept of the game sounds like it might be cool, but it's still fantasy. RPGCodex is pretty good about covering the broad range of role playing games, and this falls more into that category.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

VasikkA wrote:Well, it's a turn-based, non-linearish Tim Cain game not set in Forgotten Realms! That's enough to make me horny. Besides, Fallout 3 is not in productionâ„¢, so we need something to talk about.
Agreed. It might be fun saying 'You dropped lionheart coverage so why have toe?' but I'm getting bored talking about religeon and society or talking possibilitys for fallout 3.

P:P looks intresting though, but since I don't know much about the developers I'll have to read/see more about it.
:chew:
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

it's still D&D. yet one more RPG I shall overlook.

Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Greyhawk would have to be completely open ended with randomly generated towns and quests with editors and shit like that for me to care. And it would have to be done brilliantly. No bullshit "get a ring from a troll in the middle of nowhere and bring it to some random asshole" kinda quests.

It looks more like Troika is trying to cash in on the D&D trend. There's so many fantasy games out there you have to wonder when everyone will agree it's wearing a bit thin and move onto another genre to bleed to death.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Mad Max RW wrote:It looks more like Troika is trying to cash in on the D&D trend. There's so many fantasy games out there you have to wonder when everyone will agree it's wearing a bit thin and move onto another genre to bleed to death.
Well, Troika is also working on a sci-fi rpg...
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

It looks more like Troika is trying to cash in on the D&D trend. There's so many fantasy games out there you have to wonder when everyone will agree it's wearing a bit thin and move onto another genre to bleed to death.
Tim wants to make a traditional fantasy game because he has never made one, if I recall correctly. And I see nothing wrong with that - the reason for the choice of setting doesn't matter to me anyway, I've yet to play a good D&D crpg, and ToEE sounds quite promising.
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

I'd rather see Troika work on some sort of Arcanum sequel than a crap D&D title. Granted Troika is making it, but it's still D&D and thats why it will be crap.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Dan wrote:
Well, Troika is also working on a sci-fi rpg...
Point me to some official info on that. :) And I don't wanna see Tim saying something like "We might consider talking about the possibility of making a scifi RPG."
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Mad Max RW wrote: Point me to some official info on that. :)
Well yes, there is no offical word.
And I don't wanna see Tim saying something like "We might consider talking about the possibility of making a scifi RPG."
If I'm not mistaken he said Troika will be working on two projects.
One of them a sci fi title led by Leon boyraski, the other being a d&d game that ended up as ToEE.
It's not offical word, but it's still nice to hear some good news. :)
Insane-Lark
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Insane-Lark »

Word is that the Sci-Fi one is RT or I think folks would be a lot more excited about it.
"I think you could beat IPLAY up for lunch money and still come up short." -Interrupt
BlackDog
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by BlackDog »

Insane-Lark wrote:Word is that the Sci-Fi one is RT or I think folks would be a lot more excited about it.
One RPG that is D&D and the other that is a RT Sci-Fi one. Guess I'll be waiting a long time to buy another Troika game.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

It doesn't make a whole helluva big difference if the game is real time. As long as it isn't a frag fest I might check it out.
Our Host!