Fed up with PC games not working thinking of buying an xbox

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

New PC or Console?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 08, 2003 9:07 pm

New PC and cross my fingers and pray every time I buy a new game
71%
Xbox
14%
Wait till I have the money to buy both
7%
Other
7%

Total votes: 14

Deathy
Regular
Regular

Post by Deathy »

That article pretty much says "XBOX SUCS BECASE NOT JAPANESE!!!!!!1"
Which is funny, because 'not Japanese' gives it yet another good selling point for me.
Pastorius
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Pastorius »

If you're aiming for the games only, I'd say go for a console. If I was to buy one, I'd choose a PS2 because I've seen a lot of games on it which look pretty tempting...
Some Pro's and con's that I see regarding consoles and PC:
Consoles: Pro's: 1) No insane amounts of patching. Just open the box and play it.
2) No massive, game-crashing bugs. Or at least, not many of them.
3) No problems with hardware compatibility.
4) No need to upgrade.
5) Cross-platform games are often released earlier for the consoles (some people care about that, not me).
Con's: 1) No possibility to play/make mods for the games you like.
2) Controls (although this might not be an issue for you, since it depends on the person).
3) Graphics (resolution not as high as a monitor, blah, blah blah...)
4) Useless in a couple of years.

Computers: Pro's: 1) Useful for writing, designing web pages, editing audio/video and lots of other applications besides games.
2) Can be used to play and/or make mods for games.
3) To surf the net.
Con's: 1) The usual hardware issues.
2) You'll probably have to download and apply lots of patches before being able to play a game without it crashing or running at 5 FPS.
3) You might miss out on some games which are for console only (E.g.: Resident Evil 0 for the GC) although here I have to ask something: Is it just me or is it becoming increasingly rare to find a game from a big developer released only for the PC?
That's all I can think of right now. I have to say I'm biased towards computers, though. I never was a huge fan of consoles. Probably because I cut my teeth on an old 8086 XT a long time ago (I bought it with the money I'd saved after my old man convinced me NOT to spend it on a NES. Now, every time he reminds me of that, I thank him).
Deathy wrote:Which is funny, because 'not Japanese' gives it yet another good selling point for me.
And why's that?
Deathy
Regular
Regular

Post by Deathy »

Because I hate anime and find Japanese culture to be warped and evil.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Kreegle wrote:Buy my Xbox! :badteeth:

Console, 2 controllers and 7 games for $550 AUD... which is 192 pounds. It's PAL, not NTSC, so you're set!

Barrrrrrrrrgain
Sounds pretty good to me. Maybe when my next paycheck rolls in :)

Just as long you don't live on the west or east sides of melbourne though, as I live over north and work down the south :p
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I wub the (ancient) japanese culture :-D

But anyways, my reaction towards the consoles is pretty cold, because I never liked the games nor the annoying little pad. I've always been a computer-guy and propably will be in the future.
the guardian
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by the guardian »

Deathy wrote:Because I hate anime and find Japanese culture to be warped and evil.
I'll drink to that!
Hello New Jersey
Our Host!