Totally wicked random encounter!

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Yup, and the "outdoorsman" ecounter name for it is simply "Portal"... I discoevered tat lately and though it was rather confusing.

Either way that's where you find the solar scorcher... even though I don't find that weapon great...
Last edited by Red on Wed Jun 12, 2002 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Huh, I didn't know about those people. I stopped going into the caves after I had four consecutive times encountered wimpy deathclaws that were killed in two hits at a medium-low level. If only I persevered.....
fuck
Beef
Respected
Respected

Post by Beef »

the guardian wrote:sweet, you found the "robbers" encounter... not acully an acual encounter, but its a cave well... filled with guys with combat armor and tons of weapons....

acully killed me once with a critial shot, the bastards...
Um, good for you?
Leperous Lenny
SDF!
SDF!

Logistics

Post by Leperous Lenny »

Ok, I think I know why I never got the guys in combat armor in those caves. The best I ever had in the cave encounters was a bunch of robbers in leather jackets armed with dinky pistols. It has to do with the location. The further south you go, the harder the enemies become, right? So the chances of having one of those better cave encounters increases when you go further south. Of course, it could be a cave full of grown-up deathclaws *gasp!* Anyway, I will go down there and try to get me some of those special cave encounters.
Beef
Respected
Respected

Re: Logistics

Post by Beef »

Wow, a real-life noob... can I... touch it?
Leperous Lenny
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Leperous Lenny »

Don't touch too much, Beef...I might lose an arm. Do you know how hard it is to reattach a fallen limb? Just ask Harold.
Doc Hill
Overopinionated
Overopinionated

Post by Doc Hill »

I've played the game something like a hundred times and I think I got this figured out. The level of badassedness of the robbers depends on four things, size of party, level of main character, type of gun, type of armor. And yes I know badassedness is not a word, but it should be. Anyway I think thats it, because the earlier I encounter them the suckier they are.
Life is like cheap whiskey, it's mostly bad, and leaves a shitty taste in your mouth, but it's better then nothing.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Badassedness should be a word. I'll blow away Webster if they don't make it one.

And yeah, you probably are right about that, Doc. Except even when I had the highest level, bestest eqipment, and the largest party I could have, I still got nothing but pussy deathclaws. Dammit. And can't play right now because I'm grounded off that computer. Oh well, I'll probably end up installing FO/2 on this one. ::sigh::
fuck
Crud
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Crud »

I've never got much of anything good from it either... though, I don't really need anything right now... except ammo for the gauss rifle would be nice. ;)
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Slave_Master wrote:And can't play right now because I'm grounded off that computer. Oh well, I'll probably end up installing FO/2 on this one. ::sigh::
OMG, OMG, what did you do? Format C:? 8O
Red

Post by Red »

I'll investigate the matter soonish, but the main event modifyer is the level (you can see it in data/worldmap.txt I think... a file in there anyhow, when you find it it's pretty obvious that's where you setup random encounters). There is also a script to generate the random encounters, but I didn't take a look at it yet.
Beef
Respected
Respected

Post by Beef »

Leperous Lenny wrote:Don't touch too much, Beef...I might lose an arm. Do you know how hard it is to reattach a fallen limb? Just ask Harold.
Wow, this guy used his second post in replying to me... I'm... honored!
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Shut up, Khan Beef, this ain't The Wasteland!
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

ive gotten that cave one, with the guass stuff, and YKB rifles.

another fun one was when i made a HtH slayer PC, and found a cave after kicking the crap out of some highway men, and in the cave there where tons of deathclaws, like, everywhere!

well, they where all Large size, and i was thinking-- CRAP!
but then i realized that they where extremely Weak! like 50 hp each! and they would run when i got close... so i kicked some deathClaw-ass that day
Our Host!