Need help on linking maps?

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
gluckist
SDF!
SDF!

Need help on linking maps?

Post by gluckist »

I've got a big WW2.cam going and I need to get the mission together. So one goes next after you get past ther first. I might even have a prelude :oops: to the next mission where it stops at a outpost to buy supplies and heal up the next mission. Any help on linking up those missions would be nice.
Thanks
-Gluckist
Last edited by gluckist on Wed May 08, 2002 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Gluckist

"Those that seek the future should look in the past first..."
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

I haven't got much time, so I'll give you a quick run-through:

Since you say you've got the .cam file set up already, I'm assuming you know how to put the maps' entries in the generic_mission.txt and campaign.txt

That's actually the majority of the work. All you really need to do is to have a trigger in each map that sends the PCs to either the world map or another mission map.

I'm sure OTB and some others can/will go into more detail, and I will to if this thread hasn't grown when I get back from class in about... 5 hours...
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
War Bringer
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller
Location: Eden Facility 3 Project: Sigma (Testing) In.The.Center.Of.The.Storm

Post by War Bringer »

i asked about this in the old forums. zones and triggers, blah blah blah... after all that, otb mentioned that after that, i'd have to go back to the main map. does this mean that you can only set up the goto trigger one time?... or maybe one way ticket?

what i was hoping for is the "big town" effect, in which you can goto a different part of the town, then come back. like in fo1 and fo2.

this would kinda help in making maps load faster and run smoother i think...
"...Half a man's corpse laid on the hallway floor starring at itself,
probably wondering what had happened to the rest of his body..."
- Brothers Of The Dark

OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

War Bringer wrote:...after that, i'd have to go back to the main map. does this mean that you can only set up the goto trigger one time?... or maybe one way ticket?

what i was hoping for is the "big town" effect, in which you can goto a different part of the town, then come back. like in fo1 and fo2.
Yes, if you use the "GoTo Mission" trigger to go from mission A to mission B you can't use a GoTo Mission trigger to go from mission B to A. Doing this will result in mission A being reloaded from a fresh file - the game looks in your campaigns/missions/core folder rather than reloading the place from your saved game - so the player ends up starting the mission over.

The solution to this is to have PCs dumped onto the World Map at the end of mission B so that they can then walk/crawl/drive/slither back to mission A, which will then be reloaded from the saved game.

Unfortunately the idea of setting up a multiple map town for FoT is achievable, but you can always work around it. Since you can set up some awfully goddamned big maps you could easily put a town the size of The Den in FO2 on a single map. Unfortunately the speech/scripting would be a bitch because you'd have so many damned things to set up. (Proper planning will help to minimize this, though.) For instance, I sat down and copied a Vault map right out of the RPGs for use in my campaign. Granted, I had to make some allowances for things like different tiles, slightly different POV and the lack of a sighting bubble, but it really looks like a Vault. It also has all three levels on a single map, rather than being split into 3 maps like the ones in the RPGs were. (Yes, I had to improvise when it came to the elevators.)

Gluckist: Exactly what do you have set up for your WWII.cam? Let me know and I'll type something up for you to cobble your endeavor together.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
gluckist
SDF!
SDF!

Post by gluckist »

:)

Relpy #3

OnTheBounce thanks for the info but i've got like 6 large missions thats I want to link together. Thanks to CLC and the WW2MOD I was able to make it even more like the WW2 era. All send you my project overview and goals. I have a large binder full of data and other junk. Let me know if this will help you give me more help. The reason why I want to do the project this way is because I couldn't find a good map to use in northwestern Europe. So I chose to do single missions that linked together. What I want is no world map, but one mission after another, like near the end part of the BOS CAM. Thos last three missions. I want it like that. :wink:

-Gluckist
-Gluckist

Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Then, all you need to do is to use a GoTo Mission action at the end of the first map to load the second, another GoTo Mission action at the end of the second map to load the first, etc.

The way in which the "GTM" action works is a little odd:

Since you have your .cam file, I'm assuming you have entered the mission keys in both the campaign.txt and generic_mission.txt. If not, then I don't know how you got a working .cam file :)

Anyway, all you need to do is to make a trigger something like this:

CONDITON:
BoS has all alive at exit grid

ACTION:
GoTo Mission Whatever-You-Named-The-Second-Map-In-The-CAMPAIGN.TXT-And-GENERIC_MISSION.txt

That's all, really.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
gluckist
SDF!
SDF!

Post by gluckist »

Reply Max-Violence

Thanks man that was what I was looking for.
-Gluckist :lol: :BIG:
-Gluckist

Our Host!