Go Tell it to the Spartans - by requiem_for_a_starfury (SP)

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Go Tell it to the Spartans - by requiem_for_a_starfury (SP)

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

I played through it once last night just to get a feel for it. Not bad, small and spartan, but not bad! It's a good defensive map with several waves of incoming robots to deal with. Good use of triggers to bring on the robotic assaults.

My crew was slowly picked off one by one sometimes I think by friendly fire. The group leader eventually was cut down before the end by one of the final assault waves. So I didn't even complete the game yet! During a lull in the battle I sent John out to scout around and he met with a large group of hover bots. They are bad news in groups because they will keep knocking you down until you are dead. You don't have time to run or return fire. But that was good, it required a different strategy to take them out.

I didn't take a look at the map with the editor to see how it was set up. I guess the main improvement I can see is just the layout of the map. The map edges end abruptly and could use some finishing. Keep up the good work and I hope you make another good defensive map again!
Last edited by Jimmyjay86 on Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Thanks for taking the time to download and play it and for taking the trouble to post a review.

It's actually called Go tell it to the Spartans, note to self make title clearer for next map, but I guess that's not really important.

You don't mention what difficulty level you were playing on, I've playtested it on all but insane but I had an unfair advantage since I know exactly when the attacks start, and who is in each wave (by the way I don't suppose you noticed which wave you lasted until?) The edges were a bit blunt as I cut it out of a bigger map, 10 units by 10 units bigger, which I was designing specifically for vehicle combat.

To be honest although there is a win scenario, to die a heroic death defending the pass is in keeping with the history of the Spartans.

Thanks again.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Well I finished it last night after a few attempts on "easy". Marc and Claudia were the only remnants of the Brotherhood at that point! One thing though, the last wave of behemoths gets stuck in all of the wreckage from the load lifters, etc and are very easy targets for Marc. It takes awhile to kill them all but they can't put up a resistance.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Damn I thought I had those traffic jams fixed! The trouble is once the robots are within visual range they make straight for Marc and can cause quite a pile up, depending where you've placed him.

Hmm perhaps if I delay changing the behemoths team until the last possible moment they'll follow the waypoints for longer and won't get trapped. Thanks for the input I'll go away and have another look at this.

P.S. Cheers for correcting the title.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

OK, I'm definately playing the map when I get home from work :D All this talk makes me wanna play it!

By the way, starfury, you could throw in triggers that deactivate the tankbots when they die. The only side effect of this would be if the tankbots have items on them -- if you deactivate the bots, the player won't be able to loot 'em.

I used Deactivate triggers in [plug] Rebellion3 [/plug] to Deactivate enemy corpses (in my case, Deathclaws) when the particular wave is over (i.e. they're all dead). In my case, it was just to "clean up" the map, but in your case, deactivating the dead enemies would be a big help in making the map play as it should.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Just played the map. One word sums up my thoughts of the map:

Sweet.

Played it on CTB -- a true example of what FOT was meant to be: A tactical combat game.

BEGIN SPOILERS The use of terrain was vital -- I had all three snipers on the roof of that truck or whatever it is, with Marc going back and forth between the two sides of the truck. For the majority of the map, Shaun was crouched just to the north of the red truck. I had Claudia up on the truck as well for the most of the map -- I used her to heal the other squadmembers (duch) and to collect all the ammo I could find off of the dead 'bots.

My only major complaint is the low amount of Fusion Cells available -- Jo and Debbie ran out of ammo at about the 3rd- or 4th-to-last wave. I managed to find some extra Fusion Cells on some Security Bots and a few Humanoid Bots. I tried to get more, poor Claudia would get blown up/trampled/zapped by whatever fresh wave was coming in. END SPOILERS

I played the map on Easy difficulty, and only once did a character die (Claudia when she was out on one of her ammo-collecting runs). Granted, there was a good bit of "character's health gets in the red, Claudia shows up just in time to save character" times, so I'd say on Easy that the general difficulty was damn near perfect (for me, anyway).

ONE LAST SPOILER I even had Shaun use his Ripper on some KO'd Behemoths :D Note: When the Behem's show up, pray that you gave Shaun the Slayer perk. The robotic carnage... :twisted:

I noticed that the debreifing mentioned the possibility of a follow-up map.

Well? Gimme gimme gimme GIMME!!! :mrgreen:

If we used a rating system, I'd give this map a 9/10 stars (coulda been a wee longer, used triggers to deactivate the dead enemies that have no ammo on 'em -- scurry bots, load lifers, etc.).

EDIT: Yes, I know I double-posted. I'm a moderator, so there! :P

Actually, I just wanted to keep the thread "alive"
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

:oops: Aw shucks you say the nicest things :oops:

I did think about making the bots deactivate once dead when I was planning the map but disappearing dead guys are one feature of computer games I really dislike (I love to see a mound of my dead enemies at my feet, make's me feel I've accomplished something). Except for Fallout 1 & 2 where this is handled properly. I'm working on some revisions at the moment so I'll play around with this, hmm.... perhaps if I put them on a timer so that they disappear after a couple of minutes.

As to lack of fusion cells the only time I've run out is from using a gattling laser, tut tut never use burst weapons unless you can feel the hot rancid breath of a deathclaw down the back of your neck. Perhaps I'll hide a couple of hundred somewhere on the map along with a couple of other surprises :wink:

I hope you try playing it on normal, from the sounds of it you've only had the alternate win scenario and not the main one.

Um there is no sequel planned at the moment.... I'm not working on a sequel.... I'd love to be able to do a sequel but I've got these other projects I really want to work on even though you'd hate them and prefer a sequel.... maybe once I've got these other projects out the way and if there is a demand for one a sequel may be made :)
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

w00t! Map was awesome. Although I've only played it once, as I had to go on vacation. I'll give it another couple of games tonight.
Our Host!