What's the best weapon to use on those rock monsters?

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Kreegle

What's the best weapon to use on those rock monsters?

Post by Kreegle »

I'm replaying Arcanum as a dumbarse half-orc, and I've just worked my way into those dwarven caves... the ones with those large rock pricks that damage your weapon everytime you bludgeon them. Does anyone know a good weapon to use against them? I'm getting sick and tired of running back and forth from the caves to Tarant getting weapons repaired - and I can't remember what I did last time I played.

Cheers! :)
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

In my game I used magic to blast em'.

A bow or firearms will work good as well, because your weapon won't get damaged.

But if you don't have any of those skills, I guess there is no way to kill them without damaging your weapons.
Kreegle

Post by Kreegle »

Bugger.
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

Hello Kreegle, hope this helps you.

I had this problem too, and as far as i can see the best thing is to use things like axes and hammers on the stone caves (I think there may actually be one of these in the caves, but don't quote me). It helps if you have some followers with missile capabilities as the other hand to hand ones seem to just get mashed.

A word of warning - swords break damn easy on these guys, and don't wear any aromour you value highly as they damage that too. Generally this is true of the axe/hammer you use to kill them too, as it will be a bit wrecked by the time you escape, blinking into the sunlight.

I hate this bit - it's too damn hard and it doesn't fit well with the majority of the rest of the game.

EDIT - Grrrr... Beaten to it! :D
Kreegle

Post by Kreegle »

Yeah, I buy 3 or 4 hammers and bash the shit out of those rock guys until they break, then I end up leaving to get 'em repaired in Tarant.

I was hoping there was some kind of "clever" weapon to use - but I guess not. Oh well, no matter.
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

Oh yeah... just remembered. If you want a "super weapon", then bring that damn Dog along with you. He whomps on those rock guys, killing them in 1-2 turns. But other than that, no, no "super weapon". I can't believe I forgot that.

*Kicks self*
Aneurysm
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Aneurysm »

I had a similar problem when i was playing with my half ogre character , i was always getting my weapons and armor damaged . I took of all my weapons and armor , and got plenty of healing potions . I used my barefists and got pretty hurt a few times , but with Virgil healing me and with the help of the healing potions , it isn't so hard . This strategy is olny good for melee characters . It's not a very good one but it solved my problem .
:dead: In remembrance of Porcu :dead:
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Lighting bolts do wonder with those grey fucks...

But yeah, if youre playing a pure melee charecter (with no magic/bow/firarms/throwing) chances are youre strong enough to fight with hand to hand and heal after that.
Ezechial_Rage
Regular
Regular

Post by Ezechial_Rage »

I just used my fists to beat them to death with my half-ogre. It takes your health away but you don't have to worry about your weapons getting broken. I'm also pretty sure that later in the game I was able to use a sword on them just fine. It might be because of some sort of strength factor or maybe a melee check..... In either case, my weapons weren't being damaged anymore.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

I'm pretty sure axes were okay. I'm pretty sure they didn't get damaged by Rock Golems. I'm pretty sure.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aneurysm
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Aneurysm »

Are you really ?
:dead: In remembrance of Porcu :dead:
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Aneurysm wrote:Are you really ?
Yeah, pretty sure.
Kreegle

Post by Kreegle »

Axes get damaged by the rock golems.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Kreegle wrote:Axes get damaged by the rock golems.
Well I did say I was pretty sure, not definitely sure or absolutely sure.
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

I think the high quality ones don't get damaged so badly as well as causing more injury.
Kreegle

Post by Kreegle »

I took the bare-knuckle approach and managed to clean 'em all up - cheers fellas.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Kreegle wrote:I took the bare-knuckle approach and managed to clean 'em all up - cheers fellas.
Don't you lose health that way?
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Yeah, but if you're strong enough they take more ;)
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Hmmm.... Thinking on it... What about bone weapons or a magic weapon? I know there's a tag in WorldEd that makes a weapon "unbreakable". Most likely used only for special weapons or some such though (Bangellion Scourge/whatever).
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Magic weapons take damage, too. I don't know about bone weapons, though.
Our Host!