Your favorite character layouts

Like Tactics? Found a cool mod for another game that reminds you of Fallout? Playing those crappy spin-off console games called "Fallout"? Discuss here.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Your favorite character layouts

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

Post them here:

For fallout tactics ive been experimenting lately, My newest creep:

ST 9, PE 8, EN 6, CH 4, IN 9, AG 7, LK 2

Tags: Sm. Guns, Big Guns, Barter
Traits: Gifted, Fast Shot

Basicially I cannibalized the Charisma and Luck stats in exchange for skill points, using a .50cal Browning as soon as St. Louis, and getting more money for things.

I disregard Luck, because im an unlucky person myself and it makes the game harder (ie, like in three consecutive hits a raider cripples, blinds, and winds you with a club). It's a good place to eat stat points since there aren't many useful luck-based perks.

Charisma was cannibalized because Devine Favor isnt as good as it's cracked up to be (I usually have all my good stuff my the time it's around), and with a CH 4 I can get "Loner", and being alone is typicially what happens to my characters (im not a team type player).

ST 9 - carry alot more stuff, use browning without having to take bracing or weapon handling.

PE 8 - why not! somehow makes it easier to hit stuff and you can see a landmine a mile away.

EN 6 - minimum possible for the strong back perk.

IN 9 - skill points baby!

AG 7 - minimum acceptable in my case due to APs provided.

Small Guns - duh, half the game requires small guns.
Big Guns - be fully able to use heavy weapons when they appear
Barter - i dont think any other recruits in the game have a barter tag skill...
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

st 6/ pe 8 / en 7 / ch 2 / in 10 / ag 10 / lk 2

Small / Big guns / steal.
Gifted/Fast shot

I never saw practical use in charisma in FOT so made that 2. Luck probably should have been a little higher seen the frequent missings at point blank range but it just had the bad luck of being last of 7.

Intelligence 10 so my skills would swell quicker and an Agility of 10 for a maximum of AP's.

St i made seven so i didnt lose too many point to it but could still wield guns of my personal taste.
Sometimes an atomic weapon is just an atomic weapon, ja?
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

Strength
Perception
Endurance
Charisma
Intelligence
Agility
Luck

Now what does that spell?
S.P.E.C.I.A.L.
(roflmfao!, they're special...)

And to think that layout has been aorund like that ever since fallout series was made... (heh, a cryptic message or coincidence?)

-----

Changed my preference:
ST 9, PE 10, EN 6, CH 2, IN 10, AG 6, LK 2
or sumthin like that...

I undercut charisma and agility to give myself a PE and IN boost
I figure since my barter skill will be nice anyway because it's a tag skill, charisma could go take a crap on the potter - I have other more pressing needs like Perception and Intelligence (I gets more skill points from IN anyway to devote to barter skill).

Ive never found much use in luck - im usually smart enough to avoid getting my character in lethal situations that could be luck dependant. Usually it's my underlings that take the beatings - my main character is really for main assaults (that's why he's always got some big chaingun or rocket launcher - later on he gets the pancor+electric shells and a gauss rifle)
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

S.P.E.C.I.A.L....hmmz, i doubt they did that on purpose. Ofcourse they put them in this order AFTER finding out they could spell ''special'' with all first letters of each of these words. SPECIAL, IS quite representative for the concept though. :P.
Roving_Rabid_Raider
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Roving_Rabid_Raider »

Yeah! Dump Charisma and Luck and pump up Perception, Agility and Endurance and become the most powerful hero ever in Fallout history :D

Anyway, if as a loner character, I will dump Charisma. Prolly keep Luck cos I want to cause more criticals, with Better Critical perk, that is a wicked shot everytime. :twisted:
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

Criticals dont kill. I'd rahter do massive damage then just cause a crippled arm or blindness. Knocking out is nice ok, but there is little need for it when you send them to nirvana all together in one turn.
Cakes
SDF!
SDF!

Taylor the Point Man

Post by Cakes »

I'm playing a game on Tough Guy in CTB mode, I decided I wanted my main guy to be the Point Man in the squad because i find its the most difficult position to find a good recruit for. Here he is:

Taylor
Str 5 Per 6 End 4 Cha 6 Int 6 Agi 8 Luck 5
Traits: Skilled, Fast Shot
Tag: Small Guns, Sneak, Traps

I take the Leader perk at 4th level, which gives him a valuable role in heavy (non-sneaking) combat. At 8th level I took Hit the Deck, which I find to be pretty useful. At 12th level I think I'll Tag Energy Weapons, and take Bonus Rate of Fire at 16th.

With his generous allotment of skill points I can get all his tagged skills up quickly leaving leftover points for Lockpicking and Throwing.

Basically this character serves admirably as on point, sneaking up on enemy positions to toss grenades onto them while snipers keep them pinned down from afar. This tactic is getting me through Jefferson no sweat, I barely need to use my Kamikaze Assaulter (who likely wouldn't last long up close vs. those SAWs) The Traps skill i find useful only for spotting and disarming traps rather than planting them. Energy Weapons and Bonus Rate of Fire (ontop of Fast Shot) should keep him in the game through the robots.

While his stats are not as heroic as some, his Cha helps in the recruitment/rank/weapon availability which lets me form a squad around him that more than shores up any deficiencies, and his real strength is in his killer skill package.
Munky
Regular
Regular

Post by Munky »

I always use 10 perception on my main guy, i generally use all sniper types because i play on tough guy, and usually either insane or the one below, so up close just aint worth the effort.

Usually have a high endurance, and enough strength to lob a grenade far enough.

Intelligence i dont find very important, i have one character that has high intel, who is the medic/trader.
I wont go down in history...but i will go down on your sister.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Say what?

Post by OnTheBounce »

Lynxer wrote:Criticals dont kill. I'd rahter do massive damage then just cause a crippled arm or blindness. Knocking out is nice ok, but there is little need for it when you send them to nirvana all together in one turn.
You may mean cripples don't kill, but some types of Critical Hits certainly do. For instance, every time you see "scoring a wicked hit" it was a critical that did double damage.

(Evidence for this is the line: CriticalHitDoubleDamage = { scoring a wicked hit} from the combat.txt file.)

There are other damage enhancing critical hits as well.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Roving_Rabid_Raider
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Munky wrote:Intelligence i dont find very important, i have one character that has high intel, who is the medic/trader.
Intelligence is important for me. High Intelligence means more skill points and that is very important later in the game cos when skill levels are over 100%, it needs atleast 2 skill points to pump up once.
Munky
Regular
Regular

Post by Munky »

Lol, shit i meant charisma...

yeah my main guy has a decent intel,
I wont go down in history...but i will go down on your sister.
Sc0pE
Respected
Respected

Perfect Char

Post by Sc0pE »

here is my perfect char that i've played FO, FO2 and FOT to the end with and wupped ass all the way;

ST: 6/5 Gifted, Fast shot/kamakazi
PE: 8 Tag: Sm. guns, En. weapons, Big guns/sneak
EN: 4/5
CH: 2
IN: 10
AG: 10
LK: 7

Here's why:
ST 6 for big guns and when you get super power armour +4
ST 5 for sneak char, all guns but big ones
PE 8 for sniper perk also for great mine spotting skills and shooting
EN 4/5 for HP (not much, but when you are a sniper you don't need much)
CH 2 no need for it in any of the fallout games, i didn't need NPC's anyway
IN 10 for max skill points
AG 10 for high AC and AP
LK 7 for geting lucky on stuff, LK plays a big role in the fallout series, also for sniper rolls.

if you use him/her i hope that you like him/her.
hi-mag optical telescopic sights and 12.7mm fin tipped DU SLAP rounds... what more can you ask for... - go the eye critical!......... I quote the innocent villager
"BLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH"
*drools*
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

My character I always use:

(Before using gifted)
St: 6
Pe: 9
En: 7
Ch: 7
In: 1
Ag: 9
Lu: 1

(After using gifted)
St: 7
Pe: 10
En: 8
Ch: 8
In: 2
Ag: 10
Lu: 2

Tags:
Small Guns
Energy Weapons
Gambling

Traits:
Fast shot
Gifted

There is a reason the stats spell SPECIAL: The game engine is called the SPECIAL engine, it says so in the instruction manuals.
Sc0pE
Respected
Respected

2 IN

Post by Sc0pE »

Why may i ask 2 IN and 10 PE?
2 IN just means you will get practically no skill points what so ever which means in turn you won't have as good as skills as someone else.
10 PE is just stupid! the max you need is 8 and 2 more hardley makes a difference.
to get sniper you only need 8 PE and even if you did want 10 PE you just get;
sharpshooter +2 PE for shooting, if you want it for shooting.
the +1 PE perk
hi-mag optical telescopic sights and 12.7mm fin tipped DU SLAP rounds... what more can you ask for... - go the eye critical!......... I quote the innocent villager
"BLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH"
*drools*
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

I'm hoping he just got PE and EN mixed up somehow...

Or else :evil:
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Roving_Rabid_Raider
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Well PE 8 is enough, cos that Sharpshooter perk adds 2 more it to.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Sorry, I got my stats mixed up with my Fallout character who didn't need intelligence.

I use

St 7
Pe 8
En 8
Ch 6
In 6
Ag 10
Lu 2
Lynxer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Lynxer »

Why 6 charisma? I regard is as least important of all since there is no solid prove of its usefulness.
It might infleunce your barterskill just a bit, but who needs to barter when you'r a master thief anyway.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Lynxer wrote:Why 6 charisma? I regard is as least important of all since there is no solid prove of its usefulness.
A CH of 6 means you're more likely than not to get promoted when you advance a level. It also qualifies your character for the Leader perk, which is helpful in bringing out the most in your underlings. (The AC bonus really helps, especially if you like to engage in sniper duels.)

Getting promoted at the rate of 1 rank/level means that you can have Stumpy when you get ready to go to Macomb. He can come in very handy when it comes time to breach that minefield.

All-in-all, it has to be said that the designers not having implemented the "Rank Requirement" for equipment pretty much hamstrung high-CH characters. If they had implemented this, it would have been far more advantageous to have a high-CH character when it came time to go to the QM.
Lynxer wrote: It might infleunce your barterskill just a bit, but who needs to barter when you'r a master thief anyway.
Tsk, tsk. Stealing from your own brothers like that. Shame on you!

OTB
Last edited by OnTheBounce on Thu May 09, 2002 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Yeah, I like going up in ranks quickly. Once I started with 10 in Charisma and I was a senior initiate at the start without doing anything!
Our Host!