Dead Internet Theory

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Dead Internet Theory

Post by Hyacinth »

The dead Internet theory is an online theory that asserts that the Internet now consists mainly of bot activity and automatically generated content that is manipulated by algorithmic curation, marginalizing organic human activity.
"The U.S. government is engaging in an artificial intelligence powered gaslighting of the entire world population".[1] The date given for this "death" is generally around 2016 or 2017.[1][4][6]
I've been sucking the tit of various online funny picture sites for many years and the content surely has changed and noticeably have been more formulaic.

DAC bastion.
Who is online

In total there are 814 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 810 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 1202 on Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:34 pm
TheKingofVault14
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Re: Dead Internet Theory

Post by TheKingofVault14 »

Hmmm, interesting theory you've got going on here!
I think you're onto something Hyacinth, you're definitely onto something indeed!!!

:tired: :? :thumbsup:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Sounds about right. I think the future of the Internet will be more about smaller forums, or "clubs", if you will. I think posting on DAC is similar to playing golf in many ways. Just as golf is a leisurely pursuit where your club reflects your status, navigating DAC is a unique journey through knowledge and discussions.

Imagine the Maruman Majesty Prestigio Gold Premium Driver as the perfect club for your golfing adventure, much like the seamless navigation through DAC threads. Its design mirrors the beauty and majesty we appreciate, akin to the engaging content you find on DAC.

What makes this driver stand out is not just its appearance but its exceptional performance, reminiscent of the satisfaction you get from exploring DAC discussions. The high bow-power, thanks to the high-functional carbon shaft, adds yards and precision to every swing – much like the valuable insights gained from DAC discussions.

Crafted with Nano-technology Fullerence Titanium ultra-thin carbon sheet, this golf equipment ensures undeniable bowing power, similar to the impactful conversations on DAC. The minimal resin bonding, achieving an effective flicking motion, reflects the unmatched quality we seek in both our golf swings and DAC interactions.

So, just as you elevate your golf game with the Maruman Majesty Prestigio Gold Premium Driver, enjoy navigating DAC to elevate your knowledge and insights.

Hot golf equipments as follows:
TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Irons
TaylorMade R9 Forged Irons
TaylorMade R9 MAX Irons
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

It's certainly a spooky idea but at this point I'd believe it. Seems like the internet keeps getting worse every year.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

bot filled internet is one thing, but with all the chatgpt, dall-e, deepfake etc magic stuff it's probably impossible to discern human and bot content at this point / in the near future. i'm sure if chatgpt 5 hacked my account, crawled my posts and continued posting on my behalf, nobody would notice

not a bad idea really, outsourcing posting to bots so that dac may live forever

nothing wrong with a net full of bots per se i think, just the way they interact with us
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Also "link rot", most noticeable in several threads as missing pictures deemed a natural necessity of avoiding to host unused media, comfortably serves "dead internet theory" as a blanket, removing traces of past content. Funny how this golf club has become a vault in itself.
SenisterDenister

Forums, as they stand, are a vestige of an internet long gone. Like IRC's.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Ded interweb is interesting. I like it. To me it seems to be more of an issue than can be imagined at first glance.
It turns into auto generated conted and bots steering the direction of the public consciousness; gaslighting and controlling the narrative.
And once AI can affordably do this with realistic looking video as well things get interesting.

Related to this (or maybe not) is that I've noticed how alarmigly bad search engines have become. Finding things online is suddenly impossible.
Regardless I'm increasingly living offline.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Mismatch wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:01 pmRelated to this (or maybe not) is that I've noticed how alarmigly bad search engines have become. Finding things online is suddenly impossible.
absolutely related, the results are now mostly ai generated content mill garbage where you have to scroll through 5 pages to not find the answer you were looking for. all of that shit was made for ad revenue, not information. this is why i use chatgpt for a lot of my queries now, it's not great either but at least i can get a fucking answer out of it most of the time, some of the time. it's not half bad once you figure out what sort of questions it can and cannot answer helpfully
Regardless I'm increasingly living offline.
good choice :salute:
SenisterDenister

I was thinking about this some more, and it occured to me that the reason a lot of people might think there are more bots online may be a lot simpler to explain than the government making sophisticated AI to shitpost online. In the past five years, especially, there has been a huge uptick in third world countries gaining access to the Internet in earnest. High speed internet, smart phones, consoles. They're finally able to have infrastructure that supports first and second world internet capabilities. So what we may think is a bot may just be an ESL. Just a thought.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

So how about that new George Carlin special, eh? Eh?
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

SenisterDenister wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:17 pm I was thinking about this some more, and it occured to me that the reason a lot of people might think there are more bots online may be a lot simpler to explain than the government making sophisticated AI to shitpost online. In the past five years, especially, there has been a huge uptick in third world countries gaining access to the Internet in earnest. High speed internet, smart phones, consoles. They're finally able to have infrastructure that supports first and second world internet capabilities. So what we may think is a bot may just be an ESL. Just a thought.
Fucking shithole countries
Our Host!