what is "art" anyway?

Got great hand-eye coordination? Here's the place to show it off. You can also upload your work (images, audio, and video) and view our fan art gallery (currently defunct, bug forum management to fix it).
This is also the forum for all of you blossoming Camus' to exercise your brain power by writing and posting fan fiction.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

what is "art" anyway?

Post by Gimp Mask »

sometimes i think about it and i'm not really sure you know, like whats art! yo!

i think its an expression of Being, done with intention, serving no other purpose than the expression itself.
so pretty much anything

could be wrong tho

"fan art" on the other hand is scribbling some shit that resembles some bullshit in a game,
noything wrong with that, it's the same thing really, just looks a bit worse, as an imitation of an imitation should
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: what is "art" anyway?

Post by Gimp Mask »

the fragmentary exposition of consciousness

a vulgar display of power?
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Something that stirs the emotional centers of the brain. That doesn't inherently make it "good," but it should at least make it worth seeing. A problem with lots of art with me is that it has low amounts of effort put into it. Classical art was a test of skills, even going up to the golden age of animation, that was art, true art that tested the very boundaries of their respective mediums. One of my favorite pieces of art is a Picasso where he dissects the form of a bull, slowly breaking it down to the barest of components and still being able to understand what it is. The distillation of the essence of a bull. Raw talent, that is.
Some people take a shit with paint onto a canvas and call that art, but to me it needs to be a perfect mixture of effort and skill to properly convey a message or something. That's what art is to me. It doesn't have to be pretty, but it needs to have something of substance in it.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

I was thinking about this again last night, when I made this thread I wasn't even thinking of auditory arts (namely music) which is kind of weird. Maybe it's because the music industry is so heavily commodified? I dunno. I guess it's a matter of approach as well; a lot of the time music isn't something you really pay attention to quite as much as you would to say a painting, it's consumed a bit differently (not that you cannot go really deep into a musical piece). But when I thought about it a bit more there's a lot of parallels to visual arts, for example someone might have a very minimalistic approach whereas someone else wants to go all Pollock on the soundscape. It's kind of cool to think of sounds visually like that. Maybe

I like those Picasso bulls as well, there's something primeval about them that speaks to us I guess
SenisterDenister

Honestly I pay more attention to music than I do paintings. I love music. I don't know what I'd do if I ever went deaf. As much as I love complex music I can't help but like garage rock, which at its most basic is that minimalistic, pure rock and roll sound. The garage rock revival of the early 00's was one of my favorite periods of music. Just three or four people making music.
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

SenisterDenister

That is art.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

hell yeah, str8 outta merriam-webster :salute:
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

I think it will be a reccuring theme whenever I am near art which fits so well with a DAC post it note. 🫡
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

This is now the post-it thread
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

maybe art is arranging things in novel and/or interesting ways ("this sequence of 5 sounds will SHOCK you"), and if you wanna be a big star then the arrangement needs to fit into the majoritys conceptual framework. as in, it should be familiar enough to be able to get accepted instead of rejected, whilst bringing something cool or new to the table (even though the newness is probably just a fusion of 2 old things anyway).

but maybe life is art ever think about that :crazy:
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Cool but I don't believe the frame work part. Pattern sure. Life and creativity are pretty synonymous, it follows that life is an act of creativity. Nature is not art. Art happens in nature.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Hyacinth wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:19 pm Cool but I don't believe the frame work part. Pattern sure.
I don't understand sorry

also just in case anyone thinks I'm seriously trying to define art, don't worry I'm not
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

I don't understand either
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

SenisterDenister wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:55 am As much as I love complex music I can't help but like garage rock, which at its most basic is that minimalistic, pure rock and roll sound. The garage rock revival of the early 00's was one of my favorite periods of music.
https://youtu.be/pSkrhQiwFcE

Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

SenisterDenister wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:55 am Honestly I pay more attention to music than I do paintings. I love music.
Absolutely, it's the best art form. I just think most music is simply entertainment and has relatively little artistic value (whatever that may be). I consume lots of music but a lot of it is just ear candy, like watching Jackass instead of I dunno Kubrick or whatever. Magritte vs blacklight poster. Nothing against entertainment either, just feel like maybe there's a difference of motivation, or some sort of a difference at least.
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »

Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

I was thinking last night: if I draw a moustache on Mona Lisa, is it art? And if not, does the moustache turn Mona Lisa into non-art (which seems weird to me)? As in, is art the act/process, or some physical manifestation of it? But if it's the former then I suppose Mona Lisa the painting was never art to begin with. Do you see what I'm getting at; am I getting at anything really, I don't know. Maybe it's a combination of both or something else entirely. :dizzy:
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

I think 'people' would try to restore it. Industrial strength super glue paint that etches itself through the canvas, that on the other hand would be interesting to see. Would a famous painting of van gogh be left with a silly mustache or not?
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

THIS is how I am imagining DAC 3.0
Our Host!