No Man's Sky

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

No Man's Sky

Post by Gimp Mask »

Anyone played it? It's a game that apparently was terrible upon release, but the devs have kept working on it for the past five years and now it's supposed to be good. I think it's like Minecraft for adults, maybe. You explore planets and try to survive I don't fucking know, anyway I bought it on GOG and I think it has co-op so if you wanna go to space with me let me know. I tried it for a bit and it was alright, I'm on an ice planet freezing my a$$ off but it's procedurally generated like everything these days so maybe you will be burning up on a heat planet.

That's me on the left and hopefully you on the right
munchkin
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by munchkin »

I haven't played the game but sounds interesting. How to explore?
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

There are 2 levels of exploration I guess, first of all you can use your space ship to explore the star systems scanning and checking out the planets, visiting space stations, mining asteroids, fighting raider ships, that sort of thing. Sort of like other space exploration games like Escape Velocity Nova, or Elite. You can obviously warp to other systems, the game is huge.

The other (I would guess main) part is visiting the various planets which is the more Minecrafty bit. The transition between space flight and planetary flight / landing is nearly seamless which is really cool, my oldish PC has less than a half a second stutter when leaving the planet. On the planets you can gather resources, scan the flora & fauna, discover alien trading posts / ancient relics /crashed ships (that you can sometimes repair and claim, or just scrap for parts), kill hostile creatures, transform the environment. And set up camp of course. You can run around but also use your space ship to travel longer distances on the planet; I think you get things like spacecars / dune buggies later on.

There are a few alien races, you can slowly learn their language, barter with them, buy and modify ships, all that stuff.

The tutorial phase that teaches you to do everything is maybe 3-5 hours but it's integrated to the game very well so you don't feel like you're doing a tutorial, you're just following the plot / "lore". Took me 10 hours to finish it because I was just having fun doing all kinds of stuff, but you need to get it out of the way at some point to unlock the essentials, like the warp drive so that you can leave your system for example. I played for 10 hours yesterday and there hasn't been a lot of combat which I think is nice, the biggest threat is the environment as the planets usually get really hot or cold.

And the game looks really beautiful.

If that sounds interesting you could purchase it on GOG, they have a really good "fair use" return policy, you can just buy it to try it and if you don't like it return it I think within 30 days.

(a few months ago I would never have bothered to play an open world game such as this, but having talked with some good people I adjusted my attitude a bit, and this game always looked pretty good so last night I gave it a try. Suddenly I noticed it was 6AM and I had been playing for 10 hours straight, I don't remember the last time I've been this immersed in a game)
Hyacinth
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Hyacinth »

Tell me more about your difficulties within the game :)

Is it "just" an endless oddysea into procedurally generated biomes or what is the drive for progress?

How many players can be on the same planet at the same time?

Any hard-core mode or something more geared towards survival?
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

I haven't had any difficulties really, I'm playing on normal which is pretty casual and easy so far, which was what I was hoping for I think. There is very little combat, too. But there are different modes like hard-core and also permadeath mode that I haven't tried. I'm playing it pretty much single player, just doing my own thing, figuring out how things work. Haven't encountered other players yet. I think multiplayer isn't a huge part of the game but I don't really know. Here is some info on the wiki https://nomanssky.fandom.com/wiki/Multiplayer

There's some sort of a plot line that is just starting to open up a bit now, you get these missions that you do which is basically about flying around the galaxy and exploring shit so far. I'm not sure what the drive for progress is yet, it's just fun to mess around, find cool shit on the planets, fix up broken spaceships and switch to them, mine minerals and trade them on space stations and buy new fancy things and so on. Pretty sure there isn't much more to it, it's that sort of a game. It feels like the baby child of EV Nova and Minecraft.

I will let you know if there are any BREAKING NEWS or plot twists or player encounters and shit
naughtpan
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by naughtpan »

The beginning is like a big FU from the developers. I do not understand what they were going for. After the first ridiculous few minutes, it's a completely different game. Now I'm hearing a lot of good reviews with permadeath series, anyone played it already?
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

The more I play it the more I like it, there's just so much shit to do and things to discover. Exploring derelict freighters has a cool Aliens / Space Hulk vibe, and then I got a freighter of my own that can do all kinds of shit. The storylines are kinda meh thus far (although I like the writing) but they give a bit of an incentive to visit new star systems and to gain new technology for exploring / basebuilding. You can also do missions (with other players too), I've just done some pirate hunting so far. I've also witnessed some killa organic space ships owned by other players

other things you can do in this game:
- space drive-bys
- sex with other players
- build a yoga retreat
- become a big fat guy
- bbq parties
naughtpan wrote:The beginning is like a big FU from the developers. I do not understand what they were going for
I'm not sure what you mean, can you elaborate?
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »

I have the game but I have played it like a year ago last time. Can we have sex in it?
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

I don't know I got bored of it weeks ago
Zed
Respected
Respected

Post by Zed »

No Man's Buying This
Amis
Desert Strider