Nethack

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Nethack

Post by Gimp Mask »

So I have played Nethack since I was like 8 years old? Didn't understand much of it but it kinda stuck with me. Took long breaks in between and tried it again, for the longest time the furthest I got was the Castle or a little past it. Then about a year ago I started playing it again, this time abused the shit out of all the guides and wikis, kept track of my intrinsics etc, and finally ascended. In the end it was pretty easy with the walkthroughs and being super careful every time you encountered something new. Anyone else enjoy/ascend this tough muther of a game?

SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

I have nethack and stone soup on my phone. Free and fun as fuck, great games to play when you're bored.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

After beating Nethack I gave a whole bunch of other roguelikes a try, some were good and probably better than Nethack, but I think Nh is like 80% pure nostalgia for me so none of the other games could really hold my attention. Brogue was pretty good, it was simple enough so I played it for a few hours, give it a try, there's an android port I think and the runs are short and sweet, perfect for a phone. I even purchased Caves of Qud which seems really cool, but didn't even bother to learn the controls, in Nethack I know pretty much exactly what every button on the keyboard does so why bother with anything new ever again. Also the graphics were confusing
Caves of Qud is a science fantasy RPG and roguelike epic steeped in retrofuturism, deep simulation, and swathes of sentient plants. Come inhabit an exotic world and chisel through a layer cake of thousand-year-old civilizations. Play the role of a mutant from the salt-spangled jungles of Qud, or play as a true-kin descendant from one of the few remaining eco-domes: the toxic arboreta of Ekuemekiyye, the ice-sheathed arcology of Ibul, or the crustal mortars of Yawningmoon. Decide: is it a dying earth, or is it on the verge of rebirth?
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Yeah I've been playing caves of qud on and off for like six years now, I think. I bought it when it first came on Steam. Have you played DRL? Those guys are working on a new one called Jupiter Hell that's pretty good.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

DRL as in Doom RL? Yeah I tried it, it was all right. Hadn't heard of this Jupiter Hell, I'll look into it, thanks!
Our Host!