Got a new laptop.

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Got a new laptop.

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I've been almost exclusively using "desktop replacement" laptops since about 2000. I get a new one every four to five years, mainly when the one I'm using suffers some sort of catastrophic failure. This time was different, though:

I gave my son my three years old Lenovo Y70T with decent gaming capabilities for Christmas (can handle FO4 at high settings at about 40fps). He'd been begging all year for a computer to game on, and this was my inexpensive compromise...Give him my old one and get something cheap-o for myself.

Mistake.

I have been using a seven years old Toshiba m645 junker since then. It's been a LONG five months without modern-ish games. Can't play Minecraft, FO3, or even browser-based flash games. There are four keys on the keyboard that don't function without therapy and the screen is a replacement that came pre-loaded with dead pixel. This computer kills my soul.

Just picked up a refurbished MSI Dominator Pro GT62VR with all the bells and whistles this morning. Should be delivered next week. I'm pretty pumped.

:drunk:
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Re: Got a new laptop.

Post by Redeye »

ExtremeDrinker wrote:I've been almost exclusively using "desktop replacement" laptops since about 2000. I get a new one every four to five years, mainly when the one I'm using suffers some sort of catastrophic failure. This time was different, though:

I gave my son my three years old Lenovo Y70T with decent gaming capabilities for Christmas (can handle FO4 at high settings at about 40fps). He'd been begging all year for a computer to game on, and this was my inexpensive compromise...Give him my old one and get something cheap-o for myself.

Mistake.

I have been using a seven years old Toshiba m645 junker since then. It's been a LONG five months without modern-ish games. Can't play Minecraft, FO3, or even browser-based flash games. There are four keys on the keyboard that don't function without therapy and the screen is a replacement that came pre-loaded with dead pixel. This computer kills my soul.

Just picked up a refurbished MSI Dominator Pro GT62VR with all the bells and whistles this morning. Should be delivered next week. I'm pretty pumped.

:drunk:
Fo3 came out 2 years before that junker. Was the GPU just that shitty?
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Re: Got a new laptop.

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Redeye wrote:Fo3 came out 2 years before that junker. Was the GPU just that shitty?
GPU is Intel built-in. I can get between 15 - 20 FPS on medium settings. I am sure I could pull a "Low Spec Gamer" on it, but I don't want FO3 to look like Star Fox on SNES.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

This is when you go through your GOG backlog. As far as new games you could play, games like Underrail, other system unintensive games like the Hotline Miami titles, Lisa, Shovel Knight, if the processor isn't complete shit I'd say Paradox grandstrats like CK2 and Vicky 2. There's always classic RPG's and DOOM. There is always DOOM.
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

I've been playing through Soul Reaver and the Gothic series. Gaming not only sucks because of the low-end specs, but also the 'a' , 's', and 'd' as well as the right and down arrow keys on the keyboard are shot to hell. Just a few more days with this thing and I'mma throw it on Craigslist.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

ExtremeDrinker wrote:I've been playing through Soul Reaver and the Gothic series. Gaming not only sucks because of the low-end specs, but also the 'a' , 's', and 'd' as well as the right and down arrow keys on the keyboard are shot to hell. Just a few more days with this thing and I'mma throw it on Craigslist.
Pull that HDD/SSDD, or scrub the hell out of it.
Format?
(But then need opsys disc.)
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

My mom ended up asking for it. I did a full wipe of free space and a fresh install of Win10.

This new laptop...Got it this morning. Freaking amazing. Except the speakers...Sounds like headphones, except you're not able to put them in your ears and you're just kinda wearing them around your neck like a tool.
HaroshBarosh

Post by HaroshBarosh »

What are your specs?
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Our Host!