Awaken mod... now in English flavour!

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Kreegle
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Awaken mod... now in English flavour!

Post by Kreegle »

<strong>[ -> N/A]</strong>

Wake up Fallout Tactics fans! Here's some news that should get you excited, especially if you don't speak Polish - well, look... I'll start with the description from the <a href="http://www.kam.pl/~thecrow/awaken/index ... ">official site</a>: <blockquote><em>Awaken is a mod for FT:BoS. It uses its engine but includes completely new storyline. It is based on Fallout 1 and offers about 30 hours of play in Fallout world. It is done by fans and for fans (didn't I heard that somewhere?) and it is freeware. At the beginning there was only Polish version planed, but we are working on English one. </em></blockquote>BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

The English version is done, and now the rest of us can sample this glorious 30 hours of Fallout Tactics tomfoolery. Olé! Only catch is they blokes who made the campaign don't have enough room for an English-only version, so here's the deal: <blockquote><em>All you have to do is to install Awaken (any version) then patch it with the polish patch 1.31 and after that install the polish2english patch.</em></blockquote>Right - and you can download the latest Polish version (around 150 meg) from either of these two mirrors:<blockquote><a href="http://pan.kie.ae.poznan.pl/~krzysztofs ... xe">Mirror 1</a>

<a href="http://www.idn.org.pl/users/cyprianb/se ... ip">Mirror 2</a></blockquote>... and then patch it up to version 1.31 - using one of these mirrors (thanks Macbeth):<blockquote><a href="http://www.kam.pl/~thecrow/awaken_patch ... exe">Patch 1.31 mirror 1</a>

<a href="http://bug.ii.uj.edu.pl/fallout/patch/a ... exe">Patch 1.31 mirror 2</a></blockquote>...and then you're gonna have to snag the all important English patch: <a href="http://bug.ii.uj.edu.pl/fallout/mods/aw ... h.exe">get it here</a>.

Excellent work, <a href="http://www.kam.pl/~thecrow/awaken/index ... ml">Awaken Crew</a>! If anyone has any reviews of this; the first ever Fallout Tactics Campaign... feel free to send them in. Big thanks to the always-enthusiastic Ausir from the <a href="http://www.fallout.scifi.pl/" target="_blank">Sierra Army Depot</a> site for the news!
Last edited by Kreegle on Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Yes yes, I DLed it abit earlier today, only had time to fool around in the Vault, but it looks great. Very nice. Go play it, anyone. Yeah.
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Beautiful guys! I'm anxious to play it and will download it soon.
Zbyram
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Zbyram »

All the difficulties are because the Polish version even exists. I wish they didn't translate games, I want'em in English. If FOT was available in English here than perhaps I'd even buy it. I just hate that politics, "we worked hard to translate the shit, take it or leave it". I know that there are dumb-asses that don't know English, but hey, it's their fucking problem.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Yeah it would have been better if the english version was the default one, making a 150mb patch for the majority is a bit silly.

I'd download it if

a) I had tactics
b) My 56k could manage the 350mb download
c) I saw positive reviews (what is this game about, besides the limited info on the site?)
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I agree with Megatron. The effort is commendable, but I'm going to wait for some feedback before I decide to get it.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
MacBeth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by MacBeth »

Zbyram wrote:All the difficulties are because the Polish version even exists. I wish they didn't translate games, I want'em in English. If FOT was available in English here than perhaps I'd even buy it. I just hate that politics, "we worked hard to translate the shit, take it or leave it". I know that there are dumb-asses that don't know English, but hey, it's their fucking problem.
heh, but the problem is that the not all people form the team know english good enough to make it from the begining in english, so it's easier and faster for us to create anything in polish, and then let it translate some people who are good at english. otherwise the game would be full of "tribal-talks" :)

and one important thing, BEFORE installing the polish2english patch use the 1.31polish patch (mirror 1 or mirror 2) and then install the polish2english patch.

ps. im not sure if it's going to take you about 30 hours to complete it, i'm sure that some people are going to finish it faster but they won't some of the quests

ps2. remeber
it's still FOT so don't try finishing the game a doctor/gamble/barter character, because it's going to be hard if not impossible...
- who's the one to BLAME!? -
- shin! shin! sei! kyuu! sai! -
- hail the mushroom cloud -

me not like my english ;)
peasofme
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by peasofme »

im downloading it now, i hope its better than the baldurs gate and diablo 2 mods. those were completely awful. the fot levels ive downloaded were pretty awful too. about the only fan made things that were any good were the neverwinter nights mods. if this is any good, kudos to u. fallout fans always get the shaft, its nice to see something new for us.
Zbyram
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Zbyram »

heh, but the problem is that the not all people form the team know english good enough to make it from the begining in english, so it's easier and faster for us to create anything in polish, and then let it translate some people who are good at english. otherwise the game would be full of "tribal-talks" :)
OK. You know I meant the whole FOT and Cd-Projekt forcing us to buy fucked up (IMO at least) products, without the option of buying original versions. Great job with the mod guys!
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Import it, Zybram. It must be somehow possible to buy English a games in Poland.

RPG Codex
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

peasofme wrote:The fot levels ive downloaded were pretty awful too. about the only fan made things that were any good were the neverwinter nights mods.
Hmmm, not sure which ones you've downloaded. Most of the ones I've played are pretty good. You may want to check again, there are quite a lot of good ones.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Like... oh, yours?

RPG Codex
Red

Post by Red »

What the heck does the mod include to be so humongous? 210megs sheesh. Thankfully their provider's pretty fast!, averaging 360k/s
MacBeth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by MacBeth »

Red wrote:What the heck does the mod include to be so humongous? 210megs sheesh. Thankfully their provider's pretty fast!, averaging 360k/s
the biggest part of the mod are music (53mb) and movies (51mb), and the problem is that you have to download most of the maps once again (in 1.31 patch) because some people used alcohole to kill merchants (after three bottles of rot gut most NPC were overdosed and after 4-6 they dropped dead [without any penalty to your karma not mentioning even those cops standing around and doing nothing about it], the patch changes it so that they attack after the secound bottle), the same with movies, the polish version has polish movies, so the polish2english patch had to change it... (so you had to download another 50megabytes)

Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Damnit... I have to go to work...

...but the split second I get home I'm grabbin' this bad boy!
JJ86 wrote:
peasofme wrote: The fot levels ive downloaded were pretty awful too. about the only fan made things that were any good were the neverwinter nights mods.
Hmmm, not sure which ones you've downloaded. Most of the ones I've played are pretty good. You may want to check again, there are quite a lot of good ones.
I agree, depending on your definition of "awful."
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Forty-six & Two »

Ive been kicking it around the desert in Awaken for abit now and I must say the feel is great, the small quests are nice and VERY fallouty. The overall storyline seems to be there, but hopefully needs to be uncovered.... the only gripe I have is the mapping.. being a modder/mapper myself I feel details in the maps are important. Most of the mapping are abit sloppy... which isnt that bad I guess, but most of the locations ive been at until now are just random maps from the campaign or multiplayer maps from the original game, only modified a little bit. Its works out great though, but it is abit disappointing to see. As for combat, its just my style. Fairly high lethality, not to much hightech (yet anyway) and not too much ammo. Theres been a few dialogues with polish text even though I DLed the english version. But until now, its not that bad.

My impression, until now, is that this campaign/mod is a very good attempt at merging FOT with FO and creating a very FO 1&2 like storyline with fairly combat scenes. If you have FOT and the connection to tomach it, you should DL this mod and have the fun playing it. Yeah.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

WHY AREN'T WE MIRRORING THIS YET @ DAC?!
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Red

Post by Red »

My first impressions though is that all music and items were ripped from FO2... So well, not much props for GFX/Sound for me.

And that's all I personally care about. I'm sure the missions are interesting though... I might try it at some point.
Last edited by Red on Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Killzig wrote:WHY AREN'T WE MIRRORING THIS YET @ DAC?!
Wat a bandwidth hog.
MacBeth
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by MacBeth »

Forty-six & Two wrote:Theres been a few dialogues with polish text even though I DLed the english version.
just one word... f*ck!

and i though i checked everything :(
Last edited by MacBeth on Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Our Host!