Duck and Cover Forum Index

Use these links, buy stuff from Amazon and help us out, nubs. Link Translator
Amazon.com | Amazon.ca | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de | Fishpond.co.nz
  Duck and Cover  •  FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in

Support DAC!
 Fargo Strikes Again: Torment Kickstarter Is On View next topic
View previous topic
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

[ Game -> Preview ] - More info on Person: Brian Fargo | More info on Company: inXile Entertainment | More info on Game: Torment: Tides of Numenera

Seems someone suddenly found a new lease of life, huh? Kickstarter hasn't been kind to everyone (right, Chris Taylor? (no, not that Chris Taylor)) but it's been kind to some. And some of those aren't going to be shy in making use of it again. What use? Torment: Tides of Numenera is the name and it's purporting to be not-a-sequel (wink, nudge) to well known Black Isle limbo-opera Planescape:Torment. Bullet points?

• Torment is a single-player, isometric role-playing game.
  • You will play a single, specific character, though you will encounter optional NPC companions you may choose to include in your party.
  • The story-driven game will have a rich dialogue system and approach similar to that of Planescape: Torment.
  • The game will be developed in the Unity engine for PC (Windows), Mac, and Linux platforms.
  • The game will be available in English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish.
  • The game will be distributed DRM-free. (You’ll be able to get it from Steam, and other DRM-free download options will be made available.)

You say you want more conveniently arranged info from the horse's mouth? Alrighty then...

• A Deep, Thematically Satisfying Story. The philosophical underpinnings of Torment drive the game, both mechanically and narratively. Your words, choices, and actions will be your primary weapons.
  • A World Unlike Any Other. The game has a fantastic, original setting, with awe-inspiring painterly visuals, imaginative locations, truly offbeat items, and massive feats of magic. In Numenera, however, "magic" is actually something surprisingly different.
  • A Rich, Personal Narrative. The story is thoughtful and character-driven—epic in feel but a deeply personal narrative, with nontraditional characters and companions who have their own motivations and desires that drive them throughout the game.
  • Reactivity, Choice, and Real Consequences. The game emphasizes replayability and reactivity, and your choices will make a real difference. You can play the game with a different approach and discover entirely new pathways. Most important, we won't tell you how to play. The best ending is the one you choose, flowing naturally from your actions throughout the game.

So, it sounds, err... dead serious. Unlike the video. Because, yeah, you can't have a Kickstarter without a comedy skit.

Ha... ha... funny, right? Hum... yeah. I'd keep Mr. McComb away from coffee, just playing it safe.

I keep hoping someone tells Fargo to sod gaming and pay Warner Bros a visit. In the meantime, if you'd like to help ol' uncle Bri and his boys at inXile have a shot at the game, use this link right here (not like they look like they need it, the guys just went up $100k (into $200k/$900k) in the time it took to make this post, but hey, maybe you wanna reserve your digital copy or something). Who knows, maybe after this additional round of free pub, the guy may finally decide to answer our questions. Providing he's not auditioning for the new Ben Stiller movie.

UPDATE: Done deal! After just one day, Fargo & chums have amassed 200% their proposed target ($1.8M), so expect stretch goals sometime soon.

SenisterDenister
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Lookin' good. Gave them some cash right when it was around 300k, came back to find it at 1.5 mil.

Here's hoping.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Damn, that was fast. 5 bucks says it doesn't break 4M tho.
SenisterDenister
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I reckon it'll cap around 3 million, tops, and that'll be in the last week.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm expecting it to fare better than W2 (2.9) on the Torment name alone although I can't imagine they'll get more than Obsidian. 3.3 or thereabouts'd be my guess.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Cool, looks like this kickstarter thing could be a revival for many niche genres.
Zbyram
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not giving Fargo money again before he delivers Wasteland 2. He should focus on that game instead of resorting to Kickstarter again already.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would trade the pleasure of saying "I told you so" for a good fucking game in an instant.

Unfortunately the pleasure of saying "I told you so" once this turns out to be written at a level of quality roughly equivalent to a homeless person's sock filled with a homeless person's semen (or to put it in modern terms you can understand, like Dragon Age 2) is all I'm getting.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Are you really this aggressively bitter to the point it kills you on the inside, or is this just for show on the internet?
SenisterDenister
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd go with masking his own self loathing for not getting Fallout to work on his DS.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Check back here after this dogshit is pushed out and we can talk about how prematurely bitter and self-loathing I was.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not talking specifically about this - I actually have very little interest in this project myself. This is your reaction to everything; seems like you're too stuck in the past to see the good in anything modern. Being, I'm guessing, in your late 20s or early 30s, you have a long life of self-imposed misery ahead of you.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I donated for this project just because it's supposed to be the spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment which was a great game. I saw the video with Colin McComb and it seems like he understands kind of what made Planescape great. I'm not going to pass on the chance to support a game that wants to be like the old one.
Ian Miles Cheong Wen Xian
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Had to chip in with some dollars salute It'll be fun to see if they much they raise in the last two days. 4.5 million would be nice.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SenisterDenister wrote:
I reckon it'll cap around 3 million, tops, and that'll be in the last week.

Fuckin retard icon_drunk
SenisterDenister
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah I'm eating crow with a slice of humble pie. Off by a solid million.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

You're not alone. Hey, at least I saved 5 bucks.

Jump to:  

View next topic
View previous topic