Panic attack

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Panic attack

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

So earlier today, Retlaw posted the following photo:
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3854/p1010013m.jpg
Needless to mention the fact that I probably won't be able to sleep tonight, but I just noticed how over the past 3 years or so, my 6-pack has just regressed into a fairly sizeable beer belly. Terrible. I decided that I must go on a diet and must start going to gym again immediately.

Fortunately, I hate sweets so I never eat anything sugary.
I eat a lot, however that probably won't be an issue since I'm normally yoo lazy to cook.
However, I must give up beer and this is where things will get tough. I easily consume 2-3 litres of beer daily, often more. I love the stuff. Even though it slows down my metabolism, I need my alcohol, so I suppose I'll just drink wine or vodka instead, and hopefully cut down on the quantities.

So my resolution is to not drink beer for an indeterminate period of time. Let's see how long I can go on for.

Do any fellow DaCers have advice, who have been through a similar early-life crisis? I'm afraid I won't be releasing any videos of me eating or drinking since Pooper might use them for some obscure kinky purpose.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I hear you, mang. I used to weigh around 114 kg at the worst time. At my thinnest I've weighed 78 and right about now my weight's something around 83 - 85 kilos. In the modern ages you sure as hell aren't the only one with weight/looks issues.

Exercise. It's not only what goes in, it's also what goes out -> sweat and bleed, babe! It's a matter of personal preference, but I've always thought that running was the best way to lose weight. Of course, it won't build up your muscles (besides on your legs), but at least you'll get rid of the gut pretty fast. The 2 - 3 litres of beer daily is awfully lot. If it were per week it would still be quite a lot to drink on a regular basis. Back when I was a fatty, I didn't each much sugar at all. But I ate fat. And lots of it. Nowadays I probably eat a lot more sugar than 3 or 4 years ago, but I'm 30 kg slimmer, because I've generally reduced the quantity of food I consume and increased the amount of exercise.

Important: try to maintain a steady rate of weight loss. If you drop weight too fast, you will only regain it later. Trust me on this one. It's also OK to lose a lot in the first few weeks, but then the pace will (or at least should!) get slower. In the long run something between 0,5 and 1,0 kilos per week is acceptable. Anything more is just too fast. It feels awesome to lose 4 or 5 kilos on your first week, but don't get used to it. It should hang around somewhere between 0,5 and 1,0, and if it does you'll be set for good.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

is that retlaw in the pic? anyway i'd do it like this

1) stop drinking, or at least significantly reduce it - switching to drugs (preferably something anorectic) would probably be a bit easier
2) eat less, count the calories and all that shit, so that your kcal intake is something like 500-1000 less per day than what you use
3) excercise doesn't really matter all that much when losing weight but i'd probably start some contact sport like muay thai or shit because it's a good full body work out and you become a tough man in the process and you can punch holes through walls and shit, all kinds of bad ass stuff like that
Kashluk wrote:The 2 - 3 litres of beer daily is awfully lot. If it were per week it would still be quite a lot to drink on a regular basis.
still an utter swell guy it seems
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

If you're fat and you're not happy, change.

I'm fat and I'm perfectly happy, though I recognize the fact I should lose weight for health issues. My biggest problem, too, is alcohol, and I have a pretty ridiculous tolerance for it, which means I need to drink a lot to get drunk.

The problem with alcohol is there's no nutritional value, and it's all empty calories. Wine and beer are full of carbohydrates and simple sugars, which the body converts to fat if you don't use the energy.

As of late I've taken to mixing hard liquor with diet cola - the caloric intake from it is significantly lower than most other drinks.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Frater, Kash's words are probably the best. What I would add is to do the following to enhance your diet:

Eat a diet consisting mostly of fruits and vegetables. Not juice (which can lead to hunger following a drink), but artichokes, apples, grapes, and LOTS of celery. All provide certain nutrients, as well as having a large amount of water and fiber. Especially the last one-- celery is ENTIRELY water and fiber; you'll burn more calories eating it than you'll ever be able to absorb from it. Complemented by lots of water and vitamins (as well as the Omega-3 fatty acids, if available) for the nutrients found in carbohydrates and animal flesh, you'll be able to shed weight relatively fast without risking any amount of malnutrition that comes from starvation diets. Small snacks throughout the day, as opposed to two or three meals, will also trick your metabolism into a faster speed.

Also, if you have the same problem as I (being a survival feeder), one quick way to feel full faster is to eat slower. Allowing the food time to travel through your esophagus and get into your stomach will produce the feeling of being full, whether or not you eat large amounts of small ones. Try reading or watching TV while eating, concentrating on the information source rather than the food.

As far as the drinking goes, beer and light beer have B vitamins that are healthy for you. But to avoid the drop in metabolism, space your drinking out from your snacking. Otherwise, snack on celery and you won't suffer from feeding during the drop, save for what can be excessive flatulence. The best alternative as far as alcohol goes, however, is red wine. It's a very healthy drink, an antioxidant, and has a couple compounds useful for fighting weight gain (as seen in what is known as the "French Paradox"). Find a red wine you like, and go through at least a glass a day (at most, whatever level you prefer to binge at). I mean, I see where you're coming from-- I'm a jagermeister guy myself, but if you wanna get healthy and drop pounds, red wine is the way to go.

As far as deserts or treats go, if you haven't already discovered it, dark chocolate is not only delicious without being painfully sweet or overly-fattening, but also contains trace amounts of caffeine, releases endorphins, and serves as an antioxidant. On a side note, both milk and dark chocolate's saturated fat content is stearic acid, which actually doesn't increase blood cholesterol (it's neutral in effect). It's good shit.

EDIT:
Frater Perdurabo wrote:Pudding Tits
You've failed me, Darwinism
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Gimp Mask wrote:
Kashluk wrote:The 2 - 3 litres of beer daily is awfully lot. If it were per week it would still be quite a lot to drink on a regular basis.
still an utter flower it seems
It's a lot when you're trying to lose weight. It's not much when you're trying to get wasted. :chew:
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Wine is just as fattening as beer is, so you would have to stick to the hard stuff if you require the alcohol that badly.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

the differences in calorie counts of beer/wine/spirits are negligible as practically all of the calories come from alcohol (about 7kcal/1g) so don't think that switching to "lighter" drinks yet drinking the same volume of alcohol is going to slim your waistline unless you were getting drunk on baileys or something

i still think the easiest way to do it would be to approximate your daily kcal burn and consume a decent amount less than it, let's say 500kcal - bada bing instant weight loss! (and by instant i mean 0.5kg a week or so). excercise if you want to, it's good for your health and all, but not really a requirement for losing weight
Kickstand27
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Kickstand27 »

i like how no one even mentioned the pudding on his moobs. awesome
typos are bound to happen. fuck it
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I agree with the last part of my Doppelgänger's post. Exercise is good for your health and not require for weight loss. But it also makes you look better - looks aren't just about the absence of gut, it's also a matter of muscle mass, imho. And the problem with eating very little and not exercising is that it's quite easy to fall into malnutrition. I think it's better to eat plenty, but then burn the calories afterwards. It's a matter of personal choice and preference, of course. If you don't have the time to exercise (*cough*BULLSHIT*cough*), then you might want to go the 'eat less'-route. No matter which route you decide to go with, you should still calculate approximately how much is your 'intake' and how much is your 'output'. If you consume 3000 kcal of food on daily basis, you won't be able to burn all that energy just by sitting on your computer.
Amis
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Amis »

join the army! Made me loose 20kg! :drunk:
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Kashluk wrote:If you consume 3000 kcal of food on daily basis, you won't be able to burn all that energy just by sitting on your computer.
You just gave me an idea!

Have a catheter hooked up to your computer.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Amis wrote:join the army! Made me loose 20kg! :drunk:
Hear, hear. I only managed to drop 17 during military service. You're the man :salute:
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Gimp Mask wrote:is that retlaw in the pic? anyway i'd do it like this

1) stop drinking, or at least significantly reduce it - switching to drugs (preferably something anorectic) would probably be a bit easier
2) eat less, count the calories and all that shit, so that your kcal intake is something like 500-1000 less per day than what you use
3) excercise doesn't really matter all that much when losing weight but i'd probably start some contact sport like muay thai or shit because it's a good full body work out and you become a tough man in the process and you can punch holes through walls and shit, all kinds of bad ass stuff like that
still an utter flower it seems
ya, become a tweaker perhaps lol

Good thing you are a drunkard and not an alcoholic, though. Keep drinking, buddy. :chew:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Thor Kaufman wrote: ya, become a tweaker perhaps lol
who said losing weight couldn't be fun :patriot:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Kickstand27 wrote:i like how no one even mentioned the pudding on his moobs. awesome
Totally missed my post then
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Maybe we like him that way
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

An additional tip:

Jogging / running with 'inspirational' music is pretty awesome. You can run longer and faster with the right mood. Tracks like Eye of the Tiger, Ghostbusters (whoya gonna call), Final Countdown, for example, are generally concerned to be perfect for this purpose. My personal favorite is this one, because it was our marching cadence back in officer school.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

kikkeli wrote:i of teh tigar
Or one can make a routine of working out as I have.... Mondays, tuesdays, thursdays and fridays I get up at 06:00 and work out (If the weather allows it I have a jog on wednesdays).

Once it's the routine you feel a good deal of anxiety if you miss out on it even if it's just one day.

edit: and doing summit fun helps as well.... like chasing a ball...
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Re: Panic attack

Post by Aonaran »

Frater Perdurabo wrote:beer
"Beer is for men who doubt their masculinity. That's why its so popular at sporting events and poker games. On a superficial level, a glass of beer is a cool, soothing beverage, but in reality, a glass of beer is peepee dickey!"
Frater Perdurabo wrote:gym
For roughly 160 dollars you can buy a decent bench that will allow you to do just about any upper body exercise you can imagine as well as select abdominal work, a speed rope for cardio, a respectable set of dumbbells to start you off with and a collapsible thrift store walker for tricep dips.

The only thing you'll find at a gym that you won't get at home are aged homosexuals, closet nudists, emaciated cockteases and droves of bros. This is only an assumption.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Our Host!