Obsidian Entertainment Moves to Kickstarter

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Obsidian Entertainment Moves to Kickstarter

Post by SenisterDenister »

<strong>[ Game -> Article ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://www.falloutwiki.com/Obsidian Entertainment">Company: Obsidian Entertainment</a>

<p>That's right, folks. Today <a href="http://www.obsidianent.com">Obsidian Entertainment</a>, announces officially on Kickstarter about their new game <a href="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obs ... y">Project Eternity</a>. It will be an isometric CRPG, being real-time with pause, and paying homage to classic titles such as the Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment.</p>
<p>
<object width="425" height="350" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/DC4w9GdFPrg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
<param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DC4w9GdFPrg" />
</object>
</p>
<p>Needless to say this is great news for fans of the CRPG genre, as Obsidian will finally be beyond the contraints of publishers and will have their own time to release a title with no cut content and - going out on a limb here - fewer bugs than their previous games.</p>
<p>
Pledge your support today!</p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.kickstarter.com">Kickstarter</a></p>
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Well, crap. It was bound to happen sometime. I'll delete mine.
SenisterDenister

I would have posted it even earlier but I couldn't find the URL to embed the kickstarter video, so I just gave up trying to do it.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

650k in a day. It's looking like a foregone conclusion. On with the additional targets.

I'd rather have had something other than <strike>fantasty</strike> fantasy as well as proper turn based instead of what could end up being *urgh* Dragon Age 2.5. At least XCOM's looking good on the latter front. :drunk:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

LEEEEEEAVE OBSIDIAN ALOOOOONE

Post by Blargh »

More than halfway to their goal in roughly a day. Would be a lie to say I'm surprised.
Corpulent Submariner wrote:bugs
Fucking hell, it would be delightful if this particular undeserved albatross were to be put out of its misery. It's entirely fatuous, and yet regurgitated like gospel by So Many People. :drunk:
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

SenisterDenister wrote:I would have posted it even earlier but I couldn't find the URL to embed the kickstarter video, so I just gave up trying to do it.
I put the video in if that's alright. I need to upgrade the editor to allow the newer embed codes. Right now, you can pretty much only embed youtube video.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Re: LEEEEEEAVE OBSIDIAN ALOOOOONE

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Blargh wrote:
Corpulent Submariner wrote:bugs
Fucking hell, it would be delightful if this particular undeserved albatross were to be put out of its misery. It's entirely fatuous, and yet regurgitated like gospel by So Many People. :drunk:
Yeah, the Infinity Engine games were never buggy, and they made a half-dozen games with it.
I guess if they want to bill themselves as "the makers of..." troika titles I guess so.

Dragon Age 2.5
That was my first thought, which even DA was kind of unofficial BGIII. It's funny, you'd think being freed from the baggage of the BG universe and D&D rules set would open things up instead of emulating it.

Still more faith in these guys than anything :pete: does.
But have concerns about all the paid for input by donors, and buying into something years in advance, sight unseen.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
SenisterDenister

King of Creation wrote:
SenisterDenister wrote:I would have posted it even earlier but I couldn't find the URL to embed the kickstarter video, so I just gave up trying to do it.
I put the video in if that's alright. I need to upgrade the editor to allow the newer embed codes. Right now, you can pretty much only embed youtube video.
I don't even see the video, KOC.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

I replaced the picture you put up with the video. Is it not showing up?
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Zbyram
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Zbyram »

Just bought the $20 version but this whole project seems kinda lazy to be honest. Fargo's Kickstarter seemed a lot better thought out and actually got me excited. This one, not so much.
SenisterDenister

King of Creation wrote:I replaced the picture you put up with the video. Is it not showing up?
No. I don't see any of the embedded videos you post. I'd say its on my end, but I haven't ever done anything that would remove them.

And my reasoning for say that is because I saw Tofu's embedded video before he deleted his post.
SenisterDenister

POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Zbyram wrote:Just bought the $20 version but this whole project seems kinda lazy to be honest. Fargo's Kickstarter seemed a lot better thought out and actually got me excited. This one, not so much.
I get this same feeling. I'll back it but I feel like they could have done a much better video and explained more than just a video saying how they want to make a fantasy RPG and need your money.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

King of Creation wrote:I need to upgrade the editor to allow the newer embed codes. Right now, you can pretty much only embed youtube video.
The kickstarter embeds've worked fine when I used them before. There's the issue with the code disappearing when you hit preview but you can either hit back or just paste it back in.

And some stretch goals:
1.1 million, Base Goal – Achieved!
Base game includes three races, five classes, and five companions. We have ideas for these, but we want to hear your opinions on what you'd like to see. Stay tuned to Kickstarter, our website, and our forums to join in on the conversation.

1.4 million, New Playable Race, Class, and Companion!
Expands your options for character creation and adds a companion of the new class.

1.6 million, a Mac Version of Project Eternity and The Story Grows!
We've listened and we’ll make a Mac version of the game at this tier. We're also going to add a new major storyline along with new quests, locations, NPCs, and unique loot (special histories everyone?).

1.8 million, New Playable Race, Class, and Companion!
The options grow for your main character and the roster of your motley crew expands with the addition of a new companion from the selected class.

2.0 million, Player House!
Get your own house in the game that you can customize, store equipment in, and where your companions hang out, or, as the elves say, "chillax".

2.2 million, a new Region, a new Faction and another new Companion! And, dare we say it... ? LINUX!
Great news, everyone! For the Tarball Knights of Gzippia out there, we'll be adding Linux support!
Also, the world of Project Eternity grows in a major way with the inclusion of a whole new faction and the territory it holds. This adds new NPCs, quests, magic items, and hours of gameplay. And yes, you got it, another companion.

2.4 million and beyond! Coming Soon!
Er, housing? :drunk:
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Does anyone see the youtube video embedded in this news post?
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Re: LEEEEEEAVE OBSIDIAN ALOOOOONE

Post by Blargh »

Yes, I can see it.
Magical Mystery de Jour wrote:Infinity
That's my point. There is no inherent quality to Obsidian that compels them to deliberately create technical issues with their games. The bugs are, for the most part, due to either, or both of, the following : publisher dickery (Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic 2, Alpha Protocol), a legacy of second/third-hand engines and/or code (Neverwinter Nights 2/MotB, Fallout - New Vegas). Ever play Dungeon Siege 3 ? It's dull as hell, but the Onyx engine is a complete refutation of this oh so frequently parroted bollocks about bugs and Obsidian.

Why the fuck do Bioware and Bethesda not warrant similar criticisms ?

Games bloody Journalism. :drunk:
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Sweet Jesus on a candy stick! This came totally out of the blue. But what a nice surprise it is!

VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Such enthusiasm for Icewind Dale III. :rolleyes:
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

King of Creation wrote:Does anyone see the youtube video embedded in this news post?
Yup, must be on Dino's end, p'rhaps a misplaced ABP exception?
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Well, great.
But I have lost way too much faith in the CRPG industry to be able to get a big dick about this. And it's fantasy? The only subgenre that I have never given two fucks about. Thus far my $250 Kickstarter contribution to Tex Murphy remains the only one.

I would probably have supported this if they were post-apoc though. In the current state of affairs way too many red flags of disinterest are popping up unfortunately.
Our Host!