WAR is coming.

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

WAR is coming.

Post by jetbaby »

If anyone else pre-ordered the game, free weekend in beta starts later today. Join me, my pretties, and crush the world of men beneath you manly erections.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

I can't believe I'm being peer pressured into trying it.
Like all other MMO's it'll start out laggy, and buggy as fuck. I know I'll spend more time whining about how it's not working or measuring up to WoW in any way, than actually playing the game.

If I was any kind of smart, I'd wait 6 months.
Testicular Pugilist
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

what is this war of which you type?
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Warhammer Online
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

oh D:
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

think it might be quite cool. is there a subscription?
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

oh... the game looks cool. i thought we were going to talk about WAR though
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

rabidpeanut wrote:think it might be quite cool. is there a subscription?
When it comes out - yes.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

OriahUlrich wrote:oh... the game looks cool. i thought we were going to talk about WAR though
So discuss it?

In playing for the last few hours it's a much, much, much more polished game than WoW was months after release and, in many ways, more polished than the current WoW. The Tome of Knowledge and the UI in general are both a huge step past WoW's. Public Quests are an interesting addition. Class balance is twacked, as to be expected, but (mind you this is without seeing high end content) it seems much more even than WoW was when it came out. RvR scenarios are fun. Much more fast paced than WoW's huge maps with lots of open spaces. They're compact and much more active. I enjoy collision as well, though it can be buggy as shit some days. All in all I think it's shaping up to be a good game.

And for the record, Smiley, it should be a much better game at release than your average. Mythic has been in the MMO world for what, nearly a decade? I never played DAoC myself, but my friend swears by it before they released a shitload of expansions.

REVERANDPIP
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by REVERANDPIP »

fantasy not my thing if it was in the 40k universe, then i would have shit all over my keyboard by now
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

jetbaby wrote:
OriahUlrich wrote:oh... the game looks cool. i thought we were going to talk about WAR though
So discuss it?

In playing for the last few hours it's a much, much, much more polished game than WoW was months after release and, in many ways, more polished than the current WoW. The Tome of Knowledge and the UI in general are both a huge step past WoW's. Public Quests are an interesting addition. Class balance is twacked, as to be expected, but (mind you this is without seeing high end content) it seems much more even than WoW was when it came out. RvR scenarios are fun. Much more fast paced than WoW's huge maps with lots of open spaces. They're compact and much more active. I enjoy collision as well, though it can be buggy as shit some days. All in all I think it's shaping up to be a good game.

And for the record, Smiley, it should be a much better game at release than your average. Mythic has been in the MMO world for what, nearly a decade? I never played DAoC myself, but my friend swears by it before they released a shitload of expansions.
Elaborate please. Public quests? RvR? etc etc. Some screenshots would be nice as well.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

DAoC was amazing :aiee:
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

wait what :google:
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

:gogle:
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

REVERANDPIP wrote:fantasy not my thing if it was in the 40k universe, then i would have shit all over my keyboard by now
There is (or was at last I heard) a 40k MMO in the super early stages of development. IE they got the green light from GW so fuck knows what happened to that. Have Walt look it up, he found it and told me.

Frater Perdurabo wrote:Elaborate please. Public quests? RvR? etc etc. Some screenshots would be nice as well.
Public Quests (PQ's) are literally that. Open quests, essentially. Usually rather scripted, two or three tiered quests that anyone in the quest area can participate in. For example the first Greenskin PQ is part of the siege of Dwarf fortress. There is a huge giant running around in circles who is supposed to be aiding the assault but he is being pestered by dozens of squigs (angry little balls of teeth) that are preventing him from doing his job. When the quest starts the first tier of the quest is to kill a few dozen. Each kill by each person applies to the total, whether everyone involved is in a party, there are a dozen different parties, or if everyone is alone, it all counts to the total for the PQ's requirement. Once enough of the squigs have been squashed the giant is tired from being chased around so he slams his ass down and says he refuses to work until he has a good drink, so the players are tasked to gather beer for him for the second tier of the quest while clearing out the squigs that still wander around. Once enough barrels of beer are collected he jumps up, grabs a huge mine out of a nearby river and charges at the Dwarf keep, detonating the mine to clear the door, killing himself in the process. The leader of the garrison charges out, rallying troops through the door. The third tier is to survive a half dozen such waves of troops, numbering four or six or so "champion" (i.e. elite if you played wow, tougher than average mobs if you don't know what I'm talking about) the final of which is him leading his personal bodyguard. Once all is cleared each player is ranked on their contribution, be it via healing done, damage taken, or damage done, and they are assigned bonus values in according order. basically this means the guy that did the most damage, the guy that healed the best, and the guy with the highest damage (for the feminists out there, use of "guy" can be replaced with "player") are given a slight advantage versus those that hung back and did less or little. These values are then added to a random roll of 1-1000 and the highest three are awarded loot bag. These contain an assortment of things to choose from, usually a good piece of gear, a decent piece of gear, some crafting things, or a cash reward (later versions add a fucking awesome item to the top of the list) with second and third having fewer of the good choices and less cash possible to get. This whole PQ process also awards "Influence" to the local town. This influence builds up to three tiers. At tier 1 fo the influence you are awarded a choice of potion. Tier 2 is a decent piece of gear, tier 3 is a usually pretty cool piece of gear. Not to mention experience and such. All in all it's pretty fucking sick. I had a lot of fun doing them.

RvR is Realm versus Realm. I'll explain this later I'm fucking tired. Basically it's their take on PvP. Screenies someone else will have to get you. I'm lazy and don't have any place to store such fancy pants things on the internets.

rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

mmorpg's are so gay.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

jetbaby wrote: And for the record, Smiley, it should be a much better game at release than your average. Mythic has been in the MMO world for what, nearly a decade? I never played DAoC myself, but my friend swears by it before they released a shitload of expansions.
That's also something they all say.
No matter how prepared they are, there will be rolling server restarts, downtime, maintenance and problems galore, once they fire up all the live servers for those without the preorder.
Testicular Pugilist
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

rabidpeanut wrote:mmorpg's are so gay.
QFT.
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

The idea behind the initial development of mmo's wasn't half bad. It's what has become of the actual construct that is borderline retarded; sub-par generic gameplay coupled together with a horde of moronic players who think it's actually the bee's knees. Like sharing a sauna with a group of farting dumbfucks.

And it's not like the marketting departments of the world won't or haven't noticed that a bad game with a roomy server equals shitheads who'll throw money your way, so we're not going to see anything good on this field of battle untill somone average enough gets a wake-up call the size of an aneurysm, that these are in fact substandard games, and not being elitist in any way, manages to have an impact on these brainless twats who entertain, or should I say "surprisingly manage to entertain", themselves by rubbing the same spot over and over for years.
jetbaby lul addiction wrote:In playing for the last few hours it's a much, much, much more polished game than WoW was months after release and, in many ways, more polished than the current WoW. The Tome of Knowledge and the UI in general are both a huge step past WoW's. Public Quests are an interesting addition. Class balance is twacked, as to be expected, but (mind you this is without seeing high end content) it seems much more even than WoW was when it came out. RvR scenarios are fun. Much more fast paced than WoW's huge maps with lots of open spaces. They're compact and much more active. I enjoy collision as well, though it can be buggy as shit some days. All in all I think it's shaping up to be a good game.
Let's count. WoW, Wow, WoW, WoW, WoW. Now, considering that WoW is pure shit, which I cannot even believe is, apparently, the "standard" after which all future mmo's will be measured, and we have it up there 5 times, I'll assume that it's either 5 times better than WoW, which would still make it shit, only less pure (probably a bit of vomit made its' way in there somehow), or the alternative that it's WoW times 5, which would make it a true abomination.
jetbubby wrote:Public Quests (PQ's) are literally that. Open quests, essentially. Usually rather scripted, two or three tiered quests that anyone in the quest area can participate in. For example the first Greenskin PQ is part of the siege of Dwarf fortress. There is a huge giant running around in circles who is supposed to be aiding the assault but he is being pestered by dozens of squigs (angry little balls of teeth) that are preventing him from doing his job. When the quest starts the first tier of the quest is to kill a few dozen. Each kill by each person applies to the total, whether everyone involved is in a party, there are a dozen different parties, or if everyone is alone, it all counts to the total for the PQ's requirement. Once enough of the squigs have been squashed the giant is tired from being chased around so he slams his ass down and says he refuses to work until he has a good drink, so the players are tasked to gather beer for him for the second tier of the quest while clearing out the squigs that still wander around. Once enough barrels of beer are collected he jumps up, grabs a huge mine out of a nearby river and charges at the Dwarf keep, detonating the mine to clear the door, killing himself in the process etc etc yadda yadda
So it's a quest that involves anyone in the area with the will to participate, ala the way it used to be, only more scripted and with a worthless loot distribution system for filling the "fairness" quota. No need to dot down the story of your life there, pardner.
Realm vs. Realm (RvR) gameplay means you will never fight alone, but as part of an army of allied players sworn to defend your homeland and conquer enemy Realms. Your every action-every quest completed, every battle fought-contributes to the war effort and can turn the tide of battle, bringing victory to your Realm!
Well la-di-da. Is this really anything more than tug-o-war ala Anarchy Online? I mean, is the game over if one realm wins, ala WW2:OL? I certainly can't gather what they've done to add to the genre from their site, being that everything is very epic, but of vague and lacking description. I'm calling this shit untill there's a hassle-free way for me to confirm it.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

I'd like to see a mmorpg that is like Postal crossed with Thief, the Sims, and maybe Commandos.

That or GTA Online.

The Sims part is so people will get terrorized and react satisfyingly.

Imagine the raids!

Shopping mall! School! etc.

Maybe even get special achievements like Day Care Center Sniper/etc.

You could maybe choose classes and backgrounds. "Hunter" class would be good at stalking, child abduction, etc.

MacGuyver, etc. for making remote-control harvesters like in the survivalist mission in GTA:SA.
Our Host!