Dafuq is happen? Yurop puts the beat on digital & ACTA

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Dafuq is happen? Yurop puts the beat on digital & ACTA

Post by Tofu Man »

ACTA got da beatdown today from the EU parliament and the other day the COURT OF JUSTEEEEECE! said digital shit could be re-sold. 2 steps further from becoming the Teladi. Yay!
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

THEM deferred.

Post by Blargh »

THEY will just try again with a different name in a year or three

when the masses are preoccupied with sports celebrity scandal x being hounded by bands of cannibals in the wake of economic and societal collapse or perhaps even

terrists

just like with sopa and its ilk

the revolving door of tyranny

:drunk:
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Re: Dafuq is happen? Yurop puts the beat on digital & AC

Post by SenisterDenister »

A bland food-type wrote:dafuq
Please leave.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Haven't publishers already weaseled their way around this type of thing with all the activation codes and DRM and online only/authentication shit they do?
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

I love you too, Dino. :hug:
Cimmerian Nights wrote:Haven't publishers already weaseled their way around this type of thing with all the activation codes and DRM and online only/authentication shit they do?
Those activation codes seem to be part of what's at stake here. The court case that led to the decision was, as best I understand it, the re-sale of software licenses and their validity after the original sale. Thus, in the case of games with an activation code that either prevents the game from functioning or allows extra online content, the measure seems to be that the original maker cannot deactivate said code or prevent access to part of the game's functions in the event said code changes hands.

The other part is the access to the install data of the software once the transaction is processed. Here I won't even hazard a guess other than, in essence, copyrighted data should have to keep functioning after a cut-paste job. In theory, this shouldn't be that hard to achieve in the case of established services like Steam or Itunes that have programs with multiple user accounts that allow access to a multitude of products, but something like Amazon?

The implications here are too many to attempt to predict how exactly any of this will take place, but the main thing is to know is that any activation code, DRM, EULA or any of that kind of shit that publishers bring up are (at least partially) void if they come in conflict with this. And remember that a fair bit of these only make themselves known after you've processed the transaction and not before, which already puts them on iffy legal grounds.

The DRM is a bit of a different beast altogether, and although I've read about interest in rendering it illegal, truth is I've seen nothing towards it, either a petition or court case, at least so far.
Our Host!