Act of Valor

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Act of Valor

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Act of Valor is a movie unlike others in that it stars active duty Navy SEALs and does live fire shootings (I don't know how many movies do this or what). It's basically about some SEALs stopping some terrorists but it's just there so you can see the SEALs in action doing what they do. The story isn't very good and you can tell these guys are definitely not actors but I still had fun watching the movie.

There is something about seeing boats coming in hot and heavy and tearing shit up and it looks really good. I don't know how the origin of the movie came up, whether it was meant to be a recruiting tool or the film makers wanted to make a really realistic military movie but it feels like it could be either one. Either way it definitely shows you cool missions and inspires a great sense of respect in the SEALs if you don't already have it.

I would recommend this movie if you want to see some real action, you like to see real military stuff in action, or not a pussy ass girl.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I believe the movie came up when the directors were filming a training video for Navy Special Forces Command or whatever the Navy equivalent is called, and they thought it'd be a great idea to make a film about the SEALs, but realizing that no one could do the roles physically or realistically, drafted actual navy seals with the Navy's approval to use it as a recruiting tool for SEALs.

Overall, I think I agree 100% with your review. Only thing I'd beg to differ is that I think the plot was realistic, but the acting brings it down so much that it's why it seemed bad. It's, in my opinion, above anything in most other popular War on Terror media.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

In b4 Tom Clancy.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Re: Act of Valor

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:does live fire shootings (I don't know how many movies do this or what).
The Crow?
:drunk:
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

The Crow wasn't a live fire shooting. Morons told the gun safety professional to go home, then later on they decided they were going to do something with a gun and didn't call him back. The gun that offed Brandon Lee had a piece of casing from a previously fired blank in it, and when they fired the blank for that scene it dislodged and that's all she wrote.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

Not to hijack this thread and get all off topic, but I believe if you put a starter pistol to your head and pull the trigger point blank, it will kill you. Has something to do with all that black powder igniting and focusing high pressure gases and fire 3-4 inches into your skull. Doesn't matter if there's a projectile.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Concussion waves from blanks are enough to scramble your brain. That's why you never fire anything, even with blanks, near your or someone else's head.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... t-of-Valor

This actually explains the background of the whole deal pretty well and is a pretty good review in general.
Our Host!