Post Apocalyptic Arms and Armor

Got great hand-eye coordination? Here's the place to show it off. You can also upload your work (images, audio, and video) and view our fan art gallery (currently defunct, bug forum management to fix it).
This is also the forum for all of you blossoming Camus' to exercise your brain power by writing and posting fan fiction.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post Apocalyptic Arms and Armor

Post by Aonaran »

So I used up most of my time in my sculpture classes in college finding excuses to make post apocalyptic shit. I've made several suits of armor and a weapon or two, but have found that post-college I haven't been making very much in the way of art/sculpture. So, I decided to get back into it and wanted to create a centralized hub for all DaCers to post their crazy shit.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Here is my first attempt, a post apocalyptic war hammer:

Still haven't added a lot of the detail work, but that is what I have so far. Since it is still in progress, I am open to suggestions. I was thinking a line of shell casings down the spine below the spikes, but am unsure at the moment.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

"Domain Unregistered.
To view, register at:
bit.ly/imageshack-domain"

I see this all the time, but can never be bothered to look up if there's anything I can do about it. Imgur seems to be the best image site nowadays anyways.

Edit: That means I can't see you pics :(
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

It looks pretty cool, man. I'd be interested to see what grade you would get for this assignment, especially since it looks so damn rugged. Those rail-road spikes look intimidating as hell.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

The hammer is more or less a prototype and my first real full blown weapon. My armors are where I've managed to make the most progress, as they were actually for a grade. I'm unsure if I should saw the handle off of the hammer. Also, I've got some rusty nails soaking in white vinegar to blast on the wood handle to give it that pleasing speckled dried-blood look.
SenisterDenister

I think keeping that as a two-handed weapon would keep it looking more intimidating, as well as just more aesthetically appealing.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Fair enough. I tried wielding it one-handed and the balance is just fucked. Agree it works better as a two-hander. It seems it needs some more flair below the hammer, but I'm dead-ending on actual ideas. Definitely might make a pommel at the base, as well as a hand loop out of an old fucked-up thrift store belt. Also the piston is too shiny, need to find a way to give it some realistic wear and tear without flat out coating it in nasty shit that will smear the rest of my get-up.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Why not (lightly) bang it against some hard material to ding it up and make it look used?
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I've given it some pretty fucked up abuse, but it is hickory that makes it a bit rough. The best technique I've found is to hit it hard enough to chip, tear the chip off then sand it smooth to create a pock mark. You can see one just to the left of the shorter spike in the last image. But yeah, more along the hilt would look good, I'm just squeamish about breaking the handle in two where it gets thin at the bottom. But fuck it, I'll play around with. Good call.

Edit: Just realized you were talking about the metal. I might try different hammers as well. I'd really like something to rub across the metal after I've pitted and scored it, accenting the wear and tear. Maybe apply some brake dust with a paint brush and rub it in with used motor oil. If I clear the excess with a clean rag, it should leave it relatively clean while highlighting the damage, making it look used. Might also steel wool some rusty metal and work the oxidized rust onto some of the surfaces.
SenisterDenister

As for flair you could put some knuckle guards around where you put your hands, like a trench-knife.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I still can't see the images :(
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

They are visible, Koc. Try a proxy, maybe?

What's that on the back of the axe, that a piston head? Nice work, btw.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Pretty cool, the only problem I see is once you smack a fool upside the head with those rail road spikes, it's going to be damn hard to pull it back out.
Tofu Man wrote:They are
What's that on the back of the axe, that a piston head? Nice work, btw.
Look how convex it is, could be a HEMI header, although I think they were notched for the DOHC.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Centrifugal force plays a key role here, the heaviest, smallest metal you can find needs to be much heavier than the handle (but not too heavy so the handle breaks). More concentrated force = heavier hit. Looks nice, though, Anoran keep toying you'll be a full blown post apoc weapon designer for Bethesda's Fallout 4. :salute:

J/K Had ya for a sec though. Screw Bethesda.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

The hammer head is in fact a snowmobile piston. Will post pics of armor soon.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Actually, the thing I found odd was that it looked smaller than usual, although I'll admit I lack the necessary knowledge to make any assumptions.

Don't go using that as a hammer, now. :old man:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

how does this relate to feminism in the 20th century :artschool:
:chew:
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

...it crushes it.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Here is my first attempt:

Front:

Back:

Detail:

Detail 2:

Top:

If it looks a bit incomplete that's because it is. There was a license plate chest plate that screwed into one side and bucked at the top, hence the buckle at the top, but I ended up repainting it and incorporating it into another suit.
Last edited by Aonaran on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

...and here is the other suit:

Our Host!