Something to look forward to?

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Something to look forward to?

Post by King of Creation »

<strong>[ Game -> Editorial ]</strong> - More info on <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Skyrim">Game: Skyrim</a>

<p>As we can probably expect the next <em><strong>Fallout</strong></em> game to be built using the DX9 Gamebryo/Skyrim engine, it looks like we'll have <strong><em>Skyrim</em></strong>'s horrible UI to look forward to unless Obsidian does some ridiculous tweaking. From <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EricSchw ... ra</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><em>After spending a couple of hours with the game, there's no other way for me to say it: <em>Skyrim</em> is one of the worst PC ports I have ever had the displeasure of playing. Though many issues will likely be fixed and improved as time goes on, and undoubtedly mods by more enterprising gamers will help additional problems, the release state of <em>Skyrim</em> is, frankly, inexcusable. "Appalling" is not a word I use too lightly to describe a game, but it's the only one that fits here.</em></p>
<p><em>After <em>Fallout 3</em>'s interface left me with a <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EricSchw ... Design.php" target="_blank">bad taste in my mouth</a>, I wasn't expecting <em>Skyrim</em>'s interface to astound - indeed, preview footage lead me to believe that it was a classic case of Bethesda once again trading in functionality for looks. Fair enough, that's nothing new. I can struggle through the UI, even if it's a bit wonky, until someone comes out with a replacement. Unfortunately, <em>Skyrim</em>'s PC user interface is quite possibly the clunkiest and most difficult I have ever seen in a game made after the DOS era. I have played games from 1985 that were infinitely more usable than <em>Skyrim</em>; that a modern game makes so many elementary mistakes suggests a certain kind of malevolence, not simple laziness.</em></p>
<p><em>...</em></p>
<p><em><strong>Bomb the QA Department</strong></em></p>
<p><em>One final damning point about </em><em>Skyrim's PC port - it's horribly, pathetically optimized, and has major compatibility issues. Right from the bat, I knew that something was wrong when my high-end system was getting framerates in the low 20s from time to time, and when performance did not improve upon lowering the graphics options. Things became even more suspicious when I realized that there was no rhyme or reason for any of the framerate drops - whether I was outside in the overworld, the terrain stretching into the distance, or inside a tiny shop the size of a prison cell, the game's framerate fluctuates all over the place. There's no question about this: </em><em>Skyrim is badly optimized.</em></p>
<p><em>...</em></p>
<p><em>"Mods will fix it" is a phrase commonly uttered when Bethesda games are mentioned, and it's certainly true that their often-buggy and occasionally-broken games have been substantially improved by their extremely dedicated fan community - I probably would not have got through <em>Fallout: New Vegas</em> or <em>Oblivion</em> if it wasn't for the countless hours fans spent overhauling the game's interface and fixing the bugs Bethesda refused to officially acknowledge. Even so, <em>Skyrim</em>'s PC release is a new low for Bethesda - it's not that the PC version was a low priority for them, it's that it was <em>no priority at all</em>.</em></p>
</blockquote>
<p>Bethesda's QA Department has dropped the ball again, just like with RAGE. We know <a href="http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/201 ... che/1">you think the PC is too hard to develop on Pete</a>, but come on.</p>
<p>Be sure to <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/EricSchw ... php">click here </a>and read the rest of the Gamasutra article, as it's just too ridiculous to ignore.</p>
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

In the menus, you have to use your left and right arrows to move between categories, then either use the up and down key or scroll wheel to bring the thing you want under a selector, then either click the mouse or hit enter. It is impossible to click directly on what you want - unless it's in the pause menu, then the rules are different.

There's no question in my mind Bethesda is going to develop Fallout 4 instead of letting a competent studio do it. At least this time everyone here will be smart enough to not pay money for it, unlike Fallout 3 which I think a lot of people gave a fair chance.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

I don't quite like too many dragons in my games. The occasional is ok I suppose, but too many is just plain gay.

While unicorns are more blatantly lady-boy gay dragons are surely german moustache leather clad gay. Different package, but still loves having it up the old manhole.

So I lost interest in skyrim first when it was announced, then again as the dragon info was released by Todd declaring how fagtastic they are.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Fallout 4 - Skyrim with guns! :dance:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Fallout New Andreas - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with dragons :salute:
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

Gimp Mask wrote:Fallout New Andreas - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. with dragons :salute:
That could actually work if the right developers do it.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

As I recall it stalker had dragons. They were in meg's preview gallery anyways.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

It's true.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

well duh
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Retlaw83 wrote: At least this time everyone here will be smart enough to not pay money for it, unlike Fallout 3 which I think a lot of people gave a fair chance.
Doubt it. Enough time always goes by for people to rewrite history in their heads. Idiots said the same thing after Oblivion and Fallout 3. But you all still ran out and bought New Vegas and Skyrim the day they came out because you're so damn afraid of being left out of the conversation.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I didn't buy Skyrim. I pirated it to see how laughably bad what the idiots are loving is then deleted it. And I knew NV was going to be good because Obsidian is competent, so I bought that.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Mismatch wrote:I don't quite like too many dragons in my games. The occasional is ok I suppose, but too many is just plain gay.

While unicorns are more blatantly lady-boy gay dragons are surely german moustache leather clad gay. Different package, but still loves having it up the old manhole.

So I lost interest in skyrim first when it was announced, then again as the dragon info was released by Todd declaring how fagtastic they are.
Hah, this is very true.

It really sucks buying a game that sucks specifically more on one platform than another. Buying BF3 on console you can tell it really sucks compared to the PC and you get depressed. I know skyrim sucks in general, but this betterism must stop.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

No. Just no. I can handle all of the goatse, the tubgirl, everything you guys put on here, but please no MLP. That is where I draw the line.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Our Host!